[account deactivated]
5. shit that isn't goddamn boring
[account deactivated]

Impper posted:
5. shit that isn't goddamn boring

a series of Let's Read threads on classic literature in the western marxist, neo-marxist and post marxist canon
how do i get a ladey to slobber mouthwise on lil kenneth. there is a particular combination of words that will make her do it i know but i keep on trying and nothing works
Try This one weird psychological loophole for GUARANTEED COITUS
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
6. Tim Wise Nudes
for real, 7. let's discuss writing method, and, also, how to self-promote your books i'd say in going out this weekend, just having conversations, i could have convinced 5 or 6 people to buy and/or read my book. is that all it takes? Word of Mouth!

of course i dont even have it up on amazon yet hahahaha
did u drunkenly rant to semi-strangers about My Novel. it's like, if nietzsche and houellebecq fucked, and didn't have a kid, but just kept on fucking, continuously, and the resulting stains, like, started to take on the forms of various words?
yo dk, gotta shit, i know your post is good, *grrrrunt*

i wanna read up on the whole metronoming the spectrum with wireless transmission so hard you can practically feel the bullet time. like, wtf are microwaves, and how does uv radiation add regional strata to dronedrivin' wargamers?

deadken posted:
did u drunkenly rant to semi-strangers about My Novel. it's like, if nietzsche and houellebecq fucked, and didn't have a kid, but just kept on fucking, continuously, and the resulting stains, like, started to take on the forms of various words?

i'm me own mum, see 'coz i is the load one behalf of forebearence i should hath either swallered, or abolished like sexist demockersee along time back
i'm sorry good friend for aive bean drinking. you are so real i appreciate your insight, for its constant relativity.

deadken posted:

yeah, it sounded like this, a little bit. the girl i was with was going around telling people that i'm a writer, and there was another girl who "wrote," and i basically broke down every last thing i ever wrote to her, which i never would do, ever, except that she seemed to be utterly fascinated, rapt, and impressed to a disturbing degree, she was a little bit like an Expert Interviewer, since she just goaded me further and further into my pit of self promotion

also, my kobe book is a little bit more like if a wannabe jock got nietzsche, kierkegaard, houellebecq, celine, and a bunch of failed revolutionaries into a room and Smanged Nonstop.

also the line "my fictional biography of kobe bryant" fucken KILLS!
Using star power to promote your book, good idea

discipline posted:
3. The technological advancements of and as it relates to financialization

what do you mean by this?

christmas_cheer posted:
Using star power to promote your book, good idea

Yep, cause i'm a STAR!!!

Impper posted:
yeah, it sounded like this, a little bit. the girl i was with was going around telling people that i'm a writer, and there was another girl who "wrote," and i basically broke down every last thing i ever wrote to her, which i never would do, ever, except that she seemed to be utterly fascinated, rapt, and impressed to a disturbing degree, she was a little bit like an Expert Interviewer, since she just goaded me further and further into my pit of self promotion

lmao a grotesque caricature of you is gonna turn up in her next story, soon to be published in the new yorker

did u finish kobebook. can i read it
yea if u wanna. it's unedited and trashy atm... send me your email address. also like, the ending might be abrupt now. still mulling over if i'm going to write more scenes. i thoujght about it twice and figured it can work where it's at, considering the arc the story takes

also eagerly waiting to read about myself in the new yorker

edit: sent it to your old email. lemme know if its not the same one
ya. i will read it en route to philly maybe
ahahahahaha the foreword
Ost the foreward
You know, I wouldn't mind finding out about how the USA actually views Iran as a threat, in terms of scientific knowledge and ability to advance itself. I recently discovered on this site that US officials were actually as dumb as I thought they were just playing and couldn't get anything of substance out of wikileaks.
okay well here, my writing method is to not write.. hm wait i may want to rethink that.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

Groulxsmith posted:

discipline posted:

I mean I'd like to know more about how technology has influenced processes of financialization and also the other way around. like most of the cool electronics stuff we have nowadays is thanks to the cold war or whatnot and so I'd like to know in what ways finance has influenced contemporary technology. I'm also interested in knowing how trading has gone from phone strategy to algorithms and setting up servers near the NYSE so I can react faster to trends etc but I'm a girl and not good at math. maybe someone can marxmansplain it to me in the capitalism thread or gimmie some stuff to read/watch...

I guess I'd start with All Watched Over By Machines Of Loving Grace by Adam Curtis then, the tech behind HFT is just Really Fast Computers and not that interesting imo

cleanhands posted:

discipline posted:

Groulxsmith posted:

discipline posted:

I mean I'd like to know more about how technology has influenced processes of financialization and also the other way around. like most of the cool electronics stuff we have nowadays is thanks to the cold war or whatnot and so I'd like to know in what ways finance has influenced contemporary technology. I'm also interested in knowing how trading has gone from phone strategy to algorithms and setting up servers near the NYSE so I can react faster to trends etc but I'm a girl and not good at math. maybe someone can marxmansplain it to me in the capitalism thread or gimmie some stuff to read/watch...

I guess I'd start with All Watched Over By Machines Of Loving Grace by Adam Curtis then, the tech behind HFT is just Really Fast Computers and not that interesting imo

well Really Fast Computers + crazy statistics + real-time signal processing algorithms. dunno how much good it would do to investigate the details tho.

gyrofry posted:
a series of Let's Read threads on classic literature in the western marxist, neo-marxist and post marxist canon

i'd be interested in doing a Lets Read, but the problem with those is taht you have a lot of people pledging and yet few people that even follow up as far as the first chapter. e.g. the current Green Book thread, the old On War and Goebbel's diaries threads in the old LF, etc.

alternatively, you have the Lets Read Capital threads from the old LF, which got quite a bit better participation... I think what helped there is that a lot of people had already read it, so when newer people responded, there was a much larger body of people who could actually discuss the ideas in question.

i dunno. i'd love to do one, but its no fun to just talk to yourself!

germanjoey posted:

cleanhands posted:

discipline posted:

Groulxsmith posted:

discipline posted:

well Really Fast Computers + crazy statistics + real-time signal processing algorithms. dunno how much good it would do to investigate the details tho.

the predominance of program trading/algorithmic trading/high-frequency trading is what the others have said, a rather boring development related to advancements in technology, wall street becoming the place to go for physicists and mathematicians, and really, a lack of any other way to squeeze more profit out of that sector. the stock market is always a headliner because it is conceptually simple and a lot of middle and upper-middle class people at least indirectly have a stake in it, but in some sense it really is a backwater of finance unless you're underwriting IPOs or managing mutual funds.

the more obscure markets, somewhat counter intuitively, are much bigger in total size, and it's a daily routine to see a couple billion dollars (not notional value, actual cash) move on the basis of a phone call between two people and quick calculations done on some scrap paper. (though a person in that example is probably relying on assumptions made somewhere else by the quant people who aren't stuck doing computer trading work.)

Groulxsmith posted:
a rather boring development

mlmp

its not crazy statistics as much as just knowing how a rise/fall in the price of one asset will affect prices of other assets and buying/selling in response to this, p much the same shit as shouty men on phones 20 years before

the signal processing shit is cool but its just a way of being faster
i love the word "quant," makes me feel like we're living in a phil dick novel (we are)
the financial "greeks" are pretty simple to learn but in practice firms don't trade really on movements as much as they do either volume or volatility

it's really not a move forward toward anything imo, it's not so much the end game of finance as it is a different way of taking advantage of your position in a market, which has always been the idea

germanjoey posted:

gyrofry posted:

i'd be interested in doing a Lets Read, but the problem with those is taht you have a lot of people pledging and yet few people that even follow up as far as the first chapter. e.g. the current Green Book thread, the old On War and Goebbel's diaries threads in the old LF, etc.

alternatively, you have the Lets Read Capital threads from the old LF, which got quite a bit better participation... I think what helped there is that a lot of people had already read it, so when newer people responded, there was a much larger body of people who could actually discuss the ideas in question.

i dunno. i'd love to do one, but its no fun to just talk to yourself!

I don't know your thoughts in this, but one problem it seems to me with LR threads is the alienation of the thread from the underlying text. It might help to do some kind of super close reading that liberally incorporates large excerpts right into the thread. It seems to me this would help stimulate and sustain interest as well as make it seem less unapproachable for those who didn't get in on the ground floor.

discipline posted:
Let's post things we would like to read more about in this thread and then posters can connect one another with interesting work other posters may have read before. It'll be fun and help everyone with learning about new things. We all have our own experteases and it'll be fun to share and help one another

I'd be interested to read on the following:

1. Peer-reviewed literature on "Cis Privilege"
2. Financialization concepts as they have affected USA labor discipline
4. Post-Katrina diaspora

We can reply itt or to each other's personal pages. Let's get started!

Not exactly reading material, but I would dearly love to find video or audio archives of the Church Committee hearings. I know that some video must exist somewhere, because there is a clip of Richard Helms testifying about various schemes to assassinate Castro, but I've never been able to find anything else.

if you lived in dc it'd probably be worth checking the national security archives and the library of congress/national archives, altho searches aren't bringing anything up..

i also found video about a dang ol' heart attack gun that shoots frozen poison darts, looked authentic lol