[account deactivated]
dude, amazon makes like 60 billion a year, mb just let someone at the top know you need an air conditioner
[account deactivated]
the idea capital doesnt go on strike is a Liberal Myth

jools posted:

the 2008-? economic meltdown began with a huge wildcat strike by capital

codywilson posted:

does the minimum wage hurt the working class?

The real working class, Yes.

jools posted:

Read Atlas Shrugged for more info.

Lysenko posted:

is it funny that someone who works for a union works 12-hour days?

the funnyjudge bangs the squeakey gavel. we find khamseks life to be Officially Funnny. *meanwhile goatstein simmers in funnytown jail*

[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

slumlord posted:

how does capital have wildcat strikes

XItRcMuraCI

tpaine posted:

in awe of the total and irredeemably abject failure of the human experiment

is "the human experiment" your crime-fighting alter-ego

discipline posted:

slumlord posted:

credit crisis

swampman posted:

tpaine posted:

in awe of the total and irredeemably abject failure of the human experiment

is "the human experiment" your crime-fighting alter-ego

iot was the name of his book

wal☆mart
Without unions the Democratic Party would lose more elections which would suck for workers

getfiscal posted:

Without unions the Democratic Party would lose more elections which would suck for workers

lmao

all workers that demand a minimum wage are lazy chumps who don't understand that the real way to make more money is to just work harder. people bitch and moan about jobs taking all of their "time" and "freedom," but realistically those who complain about this issue are those who wouldn't be doing anything in their free time anyway. also, to assume and demand that you somehow are entitled to "your own" time is the height of ridiculousness, based on nothing. jobs crew 2013 bitches.
i'm glad somebody made a thread on gentrification actually. one of the projects i'm about to start deals with gentrification broadly and the influence of a certain richard florida specifically. so far it's pretty rough, but here's a basic rundown of what i've discovered so far.

in the 1970s united states, as a result of deindustrialization in a number of midwestern and eastern cities, a whole boatload city economies collapsed. perhaps you've heard of the rust belt? at any rate, a ton of cities were left scrambling to find a solution to their suddenly massive economic problems. people of means quickly migrated out of cities in order to find jobs elsewhere, exacerbating the problems faced by the cities.

an influential activist named Jane Jacobs published a book in 1961 called The Death and Life of Great American Cities, which was a series of observations about how "healthy" cities functioned. in in, she called for "mixed-use" neighborhoods, or neighborhoods where different types of zoning were placed near to one another in order to create an "authentic" neighborhood, such as her beloved Greenwich Village. more importantly, jacobs called for cities to be built on a series of weak social ties. strong social organizations, such as labor unions, bowling leagues, etc. were to be eschewed in favor of informal networks where citizens protected one another in moments of distress and garnered the trust of one another through the contact they would have as a result of her mixed-use zoning. the idea was to create an "authentic" environment, as cities that functioned well were cities that were... authentic. she advocated for cities that were diverse in class and function, which, i think, most people would consider to be a somewhat noble goal.

jacobs, however, did not offer any particular vision as to how her values of diversity and authenticity could be preserved. instead, due to her omission, opportunists were able to pounce on her theories and use them in order to justify and promote their own agendas. historic preservationists, for example, were able to use jacob's theory about keeping old buildings around to promote diversity as a means of saving entire city blocks from the wrecking ball. however, these old buildings were then used by these same preservationists as a means of jacking up costs and rent. jacobs, somewhat unwittingly, became a pawn of others, though i should be quick to note that it was her own fault due to the incompleteness of her theory. her works (The Economy of Cities too) became primers for non-equitable gentrification practices around the united states.

one of the many people who latched onto her ideas was a man named richard florida. taking hold of jacobs and her theory regarding weak social ties, a reduced "welfare state," and am emphasis on diversity, he published a book entitled The Rise of the Creative Class in 2002. in this book, florida advocated that "creativity" has become the driving force of economic growth in today's new economy. in other words, the old industrial economy was dead, and a new age, that relied on the "creative power" of the human mind, had come in. economies were no longer based on commodities or anything of that nature, but on creative output. thus, the drivers for economic growth in cities were creative people: artists, high-tech workers, bohemians, professors, gays, etc. place remained important to florida, who argued that sustainable cities required creativity, and that people themselves moved to where creativity was located. it was therefore essential for cities to attract this "creativity" if they were to survive and be competitive in the new economy.

in order to do so, florida advocated that cities pursue the three "T's." these were technology, talent, and tolerance. technology is self-explanatory, i think. simply put, florida emphasized high-tech industry in order to attract the most "talented" people. these talented people, who are considered by florida to be the "supercreative" core of the creative class (and, coincidentally, defined almost entirely by their educational level) were what were required to make cities function. but the talented required tolerance in their environment, so florida argued that cities that were more friendly to gays were more likely to be attractive to talented people.

florida's arguments were massively influential among urban planners for some strange reason. one of my profs mentioned today that a reason why florida was so popular was due to the fact that he was able to offer a solution to the american urban crisis in a language that was positive, as opposed to the negative language of slum-clearing and blight that had been used until that point.

at any rate, florida's argument is full of problems. he defines the creative class as being approx. 30% of the population. this correlates roughly with the number of college graduates in the united states. college degrees here are extremely expensive. it is therefore, i think, not too much a stretch to argue that florida is using the word "creativity" as a guise for class. indeed, florida has some strange ideas about economic realities in the u.s. he states, for example, that we live in a time of "post-scarcity," which conflicts sharply with the lived economic realities of many people. indeed, what about the other 70% of people in the country? according to florida, they would effectively serve as servants for the creative class. he relies on the usual argument of "a rising tide lifts all boats" in order to talk about how they can improve their lot. they must, according to florida, due to the weak role that the state is to play in our daily lives.

anyway, i guess after all that, my point is that gentrification, in this light, is just a function of attracting a "creative class" in the united states. this creative class, naturally, is a manifestation of unequal development, which leading theorists, such as florida, are willing to ignore almost completely in order to command speaking prices of over $35,000 an event. he, however, is a product of his environment, and his work was only successful as it was due to urban planning policies that mirrored his ideas which had already been put into place.
good post wasted, couldn't have said it better myself

innsmouthful posted:

all workers that demand a minimum wage are lazy chumps who don't understand that the real way to make more money is to just work harder. people bitch and moan about jobs taking all of their "time" and "freedom," but realistically those who complain about this issue are those who wouldn't be doing anything in their free time anyway. also, to assume and demand that you somehow are entitled to "your own" time is the height of ridiculousness, based on nothing. jobs crew 2013 bitches.

how do you "not do anything"

daddyholes posted:

i wouldn't know because i have a job. how about you tell me?

"a" Job? as in singular? poor showing innsmouthful.
Time I'm not working is more time to be asking for and receiving hand outs... as a member of the Entitlement Generation this seems pretty good to me,
Jobs are Terrible every 1 don't work if at all possible
TG I didn't want to rub salt in the wound of the unemployed. it's common knowledge around here that I have 27 jobs, with an interview for my 28th tomorrow and a few informational interviews set up for a potential 29th and 30th next week. I'm leveraging my relationships in order to maximize my potential options and am coming up with both a tactical and strategic approach to fully realize my objectives while also remaining true to my core values.

daddyholes posted:

innsmouthful posted:

video games

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

ilmdge posted:

daddyholes posted:

innsmouthful posted:

video games

ooh!! i LOVE those!!!

want to spend the next 30 pages talking about them?

Good paste wasted. Do you have any examples of (relatively) equitable gentrification? It seems like some level of gentrification is unavoidable if you want to reduce income segregation, but I haven't heard many ideas for how to control the process, I guess rent controls are probably the simplest to implement.
wal marts in chicago sell every product for $2 less than any other grocery store. Thanks Rahm

slumlord posted:

discipline posted:

slumlord posted:

credit crisis

i don't know if you could really consider that a strike tho

feels like there should be a more precise word for when capital strikes

disinvestment

innsmouthful posted:

daddyholes posted:

i wouldn't know because i have a job. how about you tell me?

haha yeah. so i have a job and it's pretty lol that you think someone can "not do anything"

crisis?

daddyholes posted:

haha yeah. so i have a job and it's pretty lol that you think someone can "not do anything"

heh, looks like we got ourselves a... part-timer

haha no. anyway you're pretty cute with all this stuff, best of luck with your apparent neurosis about leisure
[account deactivated]