Anime tackles more serious, humane and revolutionary themes than the majority of traditional media today. Even mainstream, dubious, and accessible anime such as Shingeki no Kyoujin or Madoka Magica are able to stage the return of the repressed, the Real of social antagonism, and the sexoid nature of reality more powerfully than the bulk of current Western media and literature, which has regressed into powerless, cowardly imagery and the kind of "wisdom" that it used to stereotypically apply to the East.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
It makes me think, it just makes me think, what does the pee smell like, what is the texture of the pee, what is the consistency, what does it taste like? Dare I say, if an anime girl were to piss directly into your mouth, this show just makes you think about these kind of things, and I never expected that from it.
Akagi: The mahjong playstyle of Akagi's opponents ranges from simple incompetence (Yagi) to traditionalism (Ichikawa) to British empiricism (fake Akagi) to a kind of blatant exploitative sadism (Washizu, defeated by Akagi's masochism, revealing the impossibility of "sado-masochism" due to the finitude of the former and the infinity of the latter) which all echo forms of capitalist social relations. The central problem is how to achieve true negativity, to extract from oneself all fears and shadows of past failures and accept the full risk of death and destruction that accompanies the Jacobin moment. Akagi is indestructible exactly because he has already accepted the certainty of death.

Heldensagen vom Kosmosinsel: Similar themes, it's about a cabal of radicals on a quest to exterminate fascism and surpass democracy. Very Wagner and cool. Like Akagi, it stresses the need for "going to the end" in all things, and explores the kind of psychology needed to do that. It's really detailed and shows how the political operates on all levels. It shows widespread destruction due to war, but rather than indulging in some kind of "the horrors of war" lecture, it justifies the need for struggle if it is righteous. Reinhard, despite being a noble, is a Robespierre-like figure, prepared to die for justice. The "fascist" imagery of this show (big neoclassical buildings, stark battleships, German classical music) is used to its opposite end.

Oyasumi Punpun: The reason Punpun appears to change shape is not, like most people intuitively say, "because that is how he sees himself" but because of symbolic penetration: his subjectivity is entirely shaped by fictions, and I liked that the story in the end doesn't fall into the trap of showing his "true self". The reason his face is never shown is because there is no essential core underneath his symbolic identity, in which he might retreat in a lesser story. The main themes are trauma and desperation and the ending is really dark as hell and uplifting at the same time. The photorealistic style of the drawings has a menacing effect, as though the walls have eyes and the material texture of everything is partaking in the torment of the characters. There's also a guy who pops up suddenly and says "Would it be okay if I licked your pussy?" to noone in particular which I thought was pretty funny.

Strongest Man Kurosawa is about working class solidarity.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is about the destruction of an old, failed world by overflowing jouissance. Alpha, an inhuman being existing in an eternal present, reminds us of Estragon and Vladimir waiting for Godot, with the difference that she learns to accept the inconsistency of the Father.
talk about damning with faint praise
I didn't read any of the posts in this thread thread, but I agree, OP.
What is the greatest work of popular music in the modern era? According to Rolling Stone, the most respected periodical of pop music, it is Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone". More discerning listeners might instead point to the works of David Sylvian, or perhaps Desmond Dekker's "Israelites". But for my part, I would sumbit "Nichijou Character Song - Annaka no pyon! Pyon! Ehhh!!" from 2011's Nichijou.

c_man posted:

repost
in the hit anime FLCL the pirate king atomsk obviously represents the ubermench, whereas the opposing forces of haruko and commander amaro represent the opposing dionysian and apollonian forces in naota's life, one seeking to affirm the will to power and chaotic joy of life itself and the other seeking to control it technologically and bureaucratically. the entire series is based around the emergence of the simultaneously fantastic and real from naota's subconscious.

anime is awful

most of contemporary film and literature is awful

this thread is awful

op is awful

it's all awful

Lykourgos posted:

anime is awful

this thread is awful

op is awful

it's all awful

No. Actually, Anime is great. It moves me.

MindMaster posted:

Lykourgos posted:

anime is awful

this thread is awful

op is awful

it's all awful

No. Actually, Anime is great. It moves me.

that's awfully moving

c_man posted:

c_man posted:

repost
in the hit anime FLCL the pirate king atomsk obviously represents the ubermench, whereas the opposing forces of haruko and commander amaro represent the opposing dionysian and apollonian forces in naota's life, one seeking to affirm the will to power and chaotic joy of life itself and the other seeking to control it technologically and bureaucratically. the entire series is based around the emergence of the simultaneously fantastic and real from naota's subconscious.

Anime with Lacan.

i translated the 13 vol of oyasumi punpun for a friend and got the drop on the official scanlators by approximately 6 weeks....there were relatively few horrific errors in mine...

littlegreenpills posted:

i translated the 13 vol of oyasumi punpun for a friend and got the drop on the official scanlators by approximately 6 weeks....there were relatively few horrific errors in mine...

i bought the final issue in supiritsu from a konbini as soon as it came out and slowly read/translated it from japanese just so i could know what happened next because of how much that manga owned

OK!!!! I am No. 1 Strong Guy in USA!!
scanlations tend to be really disappointing because while the people responsible undoubtedly know japanese very well their ability to compose a particularly striking or evocative sentence in english seldom matches up
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
also the vast majority of the gay chinese cartoons we know and love are complete crap much like all forms of art hth
i thought the guy who did oyasumi punpun did a decent job actually, sometimes it was a bit awkward, but he got the tone about right from what i could tell
why do you hate fooly cooly conec? i can think of reasons not to like it e.g. gender politics and i personally dont like nietzsche so seeing that sort of thing in the series made me re-evaluate it a bit more negatively, but why do you not like it?
[account deactivated]
thats fair. i dont mind the pace that much, maybe because i like watching the same short thing multiple times because i have no patience
i gave a spare anime dvd to my little cousin because she wants to learn japanese. im an anime dvd present giver.
why not give her a textbook :confused:
i didnt have any on hand. what i did have was an anime dvd of しばわんこの和のこころ
an anime thread, eh? well i guess i'll check back in a few days when it's on page 24
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
conec you should write your paper. its good to apply yourself, and you will learn a lot if you demand consistency and quality from your writing, i think
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
we caint give out no infermation
[account deactivated]