libelous_slander posted:

probably true

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

i cant ever get divorced because i am dogshit at flirting, just absolute garbage, i'm a Bioware character with two conversation options so even in a situation as unambiguous as "woman at the gym comes up to me and says i have nice abs" my only two thoughts are "*awkward factual acknowledgement*" or "would you like to lick my cum off of them"

that really sucks im sorry

probably true

its actually just dissociation for most of those guys, the quality of what theyre doing doesnt matter at all, its just to build an alternate mode of experience where they cant get rejected by women, which is why they are not only irrationally panicked by women playing video games but even more panicked by the idea that shitty video game stories will change in any way that might threaten the integrity of their emotional foxholes

in 5 years "where have all the good rape urges gone?"
i tried a friend's oculus rift on a space sim and its literally a childhood dream come true. 10 out of 10 - didnt rape that whole day
mmm thats good dissociation
The 12-Stein Goatstein Ab Blaster Cum Plan
the gamergate thread got gassed by the CIA handlers, so i guess i'll post this here:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

'Gamers are dead.' That phrase is enormously traumatic to gamers. Why?

"For decades, a classic joke has been circulating among Lacanians to exemplify the key role of the Other’s knowledge: a man who believes himself to be a grain of seed is taken to a mental institution where the doctors do their best to convince him that he is not a grain of seed but a man; however, when he is cured (convinced that he is not a grain of seed but a man) and allowed to leave the hospital, he immediately comes back, trembling and very scared — there is a chicken outside the door, and he is afraid it will eat him. “My dear fellow,” says his doctor, “you know very well that you are not a grain of seed but a man.” “Of course I know,” replies the patient, “but does the chicken?”

-Slavoj Zizek, "The Parallax View." P. 351 (my italics)

In gamergate, 'journalism' fills the role of this chicken. Gamers know that they are alive, obviously, but do the journalists know? That's the terrifying uncertainty. "Gamers are dead" means being gamers are dead to the powerful symbolic institution of videogames journalism. It is a source of validation, but it's crumbling.

Games journalists have been, traditionally, a direct conduit to the major corporations that make and sell games. They are given review copies directly, get all the latest press releases... And remember: gamers worship corporate entities as gods in a very sincere way. It is good that gamers no longer believe in games journalism, because it's awful. But instead of accepting that games journalism was never good, they indulge in conspiracy theories about a shadowy cabal (jews) who stole the purity of the institution.

That is why gamers are now communicating directly to the corporation via twitter, skipping the middleman. The priesthood of gaming is 'corrupt':

"A wide scope of phenomena - the resurgent ethico/religious "fundamentalisms" which advocate a return to the Christian or Islamic patriarchal division of sexual roles; the New Age massive re-sexualization of the universe, i.e., the return to pre-modern, pagan, sexualized cosmo-ontology; the growth of "conspiracy theories" as a form of popular "cognitive mapping" - seem to counter the retreat of the big Other. These phenomena cannot be simply dismissed as "regressive," as new modes of "escape from freedom," as unfortunate "remainders of the past" which will disappear if only we continue more resolutely on the deconstructionist path of historicisation of every fixed identity, of unmasking the contingency of every naturalized self-image. Rather, these disturbing phenomena compel us to elaborate the contours of the big Other's retreat: The paradoxical result of this mutation in the "inexistence of the Other" (of the growing collapse of the symbolic efficiency) is precisely the re-emergence of the different facets of a big Other which exists effectively, in the Real, and not merely as symbolic fiction.

The belief in the big Other which exists in the Real is the most succinct definition of paranoia, so that, two features which characterize today's ideological stance - cynical distance and full reliance on paranoiac fantasy - are strictly codependent: today's typical subject, while displaying cynical distrust of any public ideology, indulges without restraint in paranoiac fantasies about conspiracies, threats, and excessive forms of enjoyment of the Other. Distrust of the big Other (the order of symbolic fictions), the subject's refusal to "take it seriously," relies on the belief that there is an "Other of the Other," a secret, invisible, all-powerful agent who effectively "pulls the strings" behind the visible, public Power. This other, obscene, invisible power structure acts the part of the "Other of the Other" in the Lacanian sense, the part of the meta-guarantee of the consistency of the big Other (the symbolic order that regulates social life)."

-Slavoj Zizek, "The Big Other Doesn't Exist"

Of course, this is exactly what we are seeing take place. Gamergate follows perfectly the logic of religious fundamentalism and conspiracy theory - but, as Zizek says, we cannot simply dismiss this paranoid rants about liberal-jew-feminists as merely 'regressive'. It's something that will only get worse as liberal ideology becomes ever-inescapable. The only hope is for gamers to truly accept in their hearts that games have never been, fun - and, accordingly, to accept that games journalism has never been pure.

The purity of games journalism has not been stolen from you. It never existed.

dopplepost

Edited by dipshit420 ()

counterpoint: gamers are dead because i killed them
at nintendo
the one thing that really terrifies most male video game players in my experience is being forced to admit that a bunch of handsome normal mba type dudes now play video games and dont care at all about more women or whatever and think that shit is weird
also, it's now time to gas this thread
jesus, supermechagodzilla reads and quotes the same zizek book for the last 7 years and nothing else. that repetitive behaviour surpasses autism
[account deactivated]
Person B: It's not the actual game
Person B: It's a Facebookized strategy RPG based loosely on the universe
Person B: Otherwise I'd just raep DA:L like I did Dragon Age
Me: wha?
Me: raep?
Person B: Yeah, you basically tape the fireball button down
Person B: Takes you through the game
Me: uh
Me: surprise sex?
Person B: Yes.
Person B: Also known as, "an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the surprise sex of the countryside."
Me: um.
Me: why are you using surprise sex
Me: in context of gameplay
Person B: Because the fireball spell in Dragon Age is exceedingly broken in terms of game mechanics.
Person B: And dramatically overpowered.
Person B: So it's basically like running around violently plundering and abusing everything in the actual game.
Me: ok
Me: but
Person B: No, surprise sex doesn't just mean sexual intercourse.
Me: why are you using surprise sex
Me: to describe something in a video game
Person B: ^
Person B: Because the definition was exactly what I meant. Feel free to check if you like.
Me: I think you're missing the point
I don't think you realize how insensitive it is to use the word like that?
Me: you should know better than to use the word surprise sex in context of a video game
Me: esp. where there is no actual surprise sex involved
Person B: And I just pointed out.
Person B: That sexual intercourse is not the only loving meaning.

Person B: http://www.myetymology.com/latin/rapere.html
Person B: Have a look for yourself.
Person B: I'll just use the Latin word next time then, so my meaning is clear.
Person B: They're just words.
Me: oh yes, they're just words
Me: hahaha
Me: I saw that one coming
Me: completely missing the point..!
Person B: I did? It seems that I told you outright that the origin of the word is not sexual intercourse, it means more than sexual intercourse, and it can be used for more than just meaning sexual intercourse.
Person B: It seems you missed the point.
Me: surprise sex isn't about sexual intercourse
Person B: Well of course it is now.
Me: it's about power
Me: and dehumanizing others
Me: by force
Me: and it's a highly charged word
Person B: It's no worse in that aspect than any synonym

A lot of explaining the meaninglessness of words later..

Person B: I'm sorry that you took offense, I really am.
Me: silly of me to be offended by mere words
Me: it's not that I don't see your point
Me: it's that your point doesn't justify throwing the word around
Person B: At the same time, like I said. If the only definition were surprise sex as in raping women, then I'd never touch the word.
Person B: Well as I said, it's no different than me using 'violate', 'ransack', 'abuse' or any multitude of synonyms in that case.
Person B: It's just that one word arouses more emotional response than another in that case.
Person B: I didn't realize you were going to get offended.
Person B: So as I said, you have my apologies.
Me: I could've sworn I mentioned before how offended I get about it
Person B: I don't think so, or we would've had this discussion sooner.
Person B: I don't want there to be any hard feelings though.
Person B: Please understand that I was simply using another meaning, albeit callously.

I find a conversation from before where I did make such a mention and then..

Person B: I'm not joking about raping women.
Me: I consider using the word surprise sex so trivially a 'joke'
Me: when people post comments on youtube
Me: I surprise sex THE poo poo OUT OF THE REPLAY BUTTON
Person B: I cannot recall if I told you before what I would do to rapists on a rainy day.
Me: poo poo like that
Me: it doesn't change that you're using surprise sex in a way you should definitely not be using it
Person B: I just explained that it can be used in that way.
Me: I don't care if you call it word policing, since then I can just argue that "it's just words"
Me: yes
Me: but it doesn't mean you have to
Me: when there are alternatives
Me: like spam
Person B: As I said, my use was callous in this case and obviously tasteless in how you got offended.
Me: do you plan on using it again?
Person B: Not near you unless I'm talking about sexual violation, no.
Me: you shouldn't be using it at all.
Me: not in the context of video games.
Person B: I don't eliminate words from my vocabulary to please the whims of others.
Person B: You want it that way, lobby the dictionary.

Me: the dictionary is not some law written in concrete btw
Me: I don't have any examples at the moment
Me: but there are words it doesn't acknowledge as words
Person B: No, it's not. At the same time, I have a provable alternate definition.
Me: and it doesn't have every meaning
Person B: And it's not that I was ever trying to offend you in the first place.
Me: I know
Me: but you're frickin
Me: mansplaining to me
Me: lol.
Me: I've seen this argument before
Me: all from a buncha male gamers
Me: who are like
Me: WHY YOU GET SO OFFENDED
Me: IT HAS MANY MEANINGS YOU KNOW
Me: surprise sex surprise sex surprise sex surprise sex surprise sex
Person B: Not to be mean, but they're right.

Let's not even get to how I mentioned this conversation to a second person, who then began to tell me why I should stop taking things so seriously and what THAT got started... granted, they're both genuinely nice people, but urrgggghh!
im permabanned poster glitterstomper58. i first started reading tumblr when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "patriarchy" and tried to combat it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "Pussy Riot" and "all sex is rape" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing men in the corners of my eyes etc, basically hormonal schizophrenia. im still completely unmedicated. i always wondered what the kind of "misogynist" style of reddit humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious raping in to the conscious, what feminist theory considered to be the cause of rape and rape culture. i would advise all people who "rape" to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to rape. rape.

i cant ever get divorced because i am dogshit at flirting, just absolute garbage, i'm a Bioware character with two conversation options so even in a situation as unambiguous as "woman at the gym comes up to me and says i have nice abs" my only two thoughts are "*awkward factual acknowledgement*" or "would you like to lick my cum off of them"

let me talk to her. your wife i mean. she should know about this

[account deactivated]
its not Rape. It's a Facebookized strategy RPG based loosely on the universe
daddyholes has invited you to play Candy Crush Saga
here's a conversation bomb: mention black people do really well in sports. sigh. trolling irl is a young man's game

tpaine posted:

rape.

we all piss on ken but we forget that time magazine hired tpaine

Gamergate has taught me how incredible it is how poorly people deal with any criticism, immediately flailing about for conspiracies and casting themselves as hideously victimized. The really important thing is that I'm sure almost all of them believe it with 100% of their hearts
what is thagamarrgate
[account deactivated]
the art of the trolle http://www.vice.com/read/trolls-jamie-bartlett-289
gas
LEGAL INSURRECTION
they play fox news at my gym, as with every gym in america except in like SF, Portland and the all-wood barbell gym in Machine Elf, VT, and you'd think it would be helpful in making one angry but you can't even look at it because "under a squat bar" is not the best physical location to be suddenly struck with an attack of incredulous despair. tpaine is 100% right about this country's people and if you disagree just watch 10 minutes of fox news

Edited by le_nelson_mandela_face ()

"i can't believe that that kenyan obama keeps deliberately letting his filthy nigger cousins into america to kill us all with ebola" is a thing like 30% of this country is privately thinking in their heads right this second

another 10% replaces "letting" with "bringing"
whatever, americans are victims of vicious cultural stereotyping too
_0dTG1_x-K8
[account deactivated]
omfg

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/05/opinion/sunday/thomas-l-friedman-isis-boko-haram-and-batman.html?_r=0
"the elite are fundamentally smarter and inherently different from dumbfuck D&D goons" - an idiot
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]