tpaine posted:

that sounds awesome, dr.what

i am going to pretend you're serious and reply

a lot of it was just liberal really and the guy who ran it was kind of bad at comedy but all but one of the acts were good. and i laughed until i cried at stewart lee himself. would lol again, 4/5

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
the official 2016 PSL campaign twitter just followed me which i thought was odd/cool until i checked and realized they also follow a Game of Thrones Tyrion Lannister roleplay account, @IFC, and @BernieTheBest1
Seems like they pretty consistently like stupid ugly shit that sucks, then. It all checks out.
i am deeply jealous as a person who loves Stewart Lee

toutvabien posted:

i am deeply jealous as a person who loves Stewart Lee

Same.

getfiscal posted:

How are your jobs going? How is school? How is your organizing going? What major crimes have you committed? Let's try to get more reading done! Let's get off the off-site!

Well, it's been 15 months since I posted this thread. Since then I've enrolled in school and finished a year of courses. It's going well! In my honours seminar I got an A+ on my final paper by relating the Paris Commune to Black Reconstruction and Marx's theory of revolution. I also earned a bit of money and traveled a bit. Good times!

I just bought a lsat study book. Figure I might as well be able to get one of y'all shitbags out of Guantanamo someday if I cant make an effort post.

EmanuelaBrolandi posted:

I just bought a lsat study book. Figure I might as well be able to get one of y'all shitbags out of Guantanamo someday if I cant make an effort post.

in grade school they used to make us do those logic puzzles endlessly and i thought it was fun but meaningless until a good friend of mine got into law school by clowning on the lsat and now i'm actually nervous to take it because if i got a middling score i'd be like dammit

My son is wearing his big sister's clothes #drag #genderfuck #futuretherapy
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
the current liberal ideology of law is that everything forms a sort of internal logic that is elaborated through cases. so they see lawyering as trying to anticipate legal risk and intervene in a way consistent with the logic of the system. and if the system is operating illogically in a particular case then you have all sorts of opportunities to iron them out through further interventions. and they think this framework is essentially complete insofar as any judge could read extant case law and come to a reasonable conclusion to a case that should satisfy the requirements of justice. so they honestly think that being able to do logic problems is a high predictor of success in that you can elaborate the logic of a case. this is because law school involves wading through a large number of cases where you have to quickly sort through arguments based on competing weighted principles.

in reality the internal logic probably largely refers to the ongoing functioning of the mode of production tempered by some democratic rights won by various classes, although not in a crass way that everything refers back to this completely. if anything lawyering, in my limited knowledge, seems like it tends to rest on tolerating absurdities insofar as they relate to smooth functioning. like there may be good legal reasons why you can't have a right to squat a house if you are homeless based on how it would create "absurdities" in the housing market and property rights situation, even if in reality housing shouldn't be a commodity. i think a large amount of petty-bourgeois thought revolves around "the way things work" such that relatively modest reforms always sound insane. which is my experience with moderate leftists in canada, they don't think radicals are just an exaggerated form of themselves, they think they just don't know how the world works and would just sabotage all institutions.

getfiscal posted:

the current liberal ideology of law is that everything forms a sort of internal logic that is elaborated through cases. so they see lawyering as trying to anticipate legal risk and intervene in a way consistent with the logic of the system. and if the system is operating illogically in a particular case then you have all sorts of opportunities to iron them out through further interventions. and they think this framework is essentially complete insofar as any judge could read extant case law and come to a reasonable conclusion to a case that should satisfy the requirements of justice. so they honestly think that being able to do logic problems is a high predictor of success in that you can elaborate the logic of a case. this is because law school involves wading through a large number of cases where you have to quickly sort through arguments based on competing weighted principles.

in reality the internal logic probably largely refers to the ongoing functioning of the mode of production tempered by some democratic rights won by various classes, although not in a crass way that everything refers back to this completely. if anything lawyering, in my limited knowledge, seems like it tends to rest on tolerating absurdities insofar as they relate to smooth functioning. like there may be good legal reasons why you can't have a right to squat a house if you are homeless based on how it would create "absurdities" in the housing market and property rights situation, even if in reality housing shouldn't be a commodity. i think a large amount of petty-bourgeois thought revolves around "the way things work" such that relatively modest reforms always sound insane. which is my experience with moderate leftists in canada, they don't think radicals are just an exaggerated form of themselves, they think they just don't know how the world works and would just sabotage all institutions.

Pretty much but I would take this even farther and say the lsat exists mainly to reinforce the mythology of the "law" being something that's objectively measureable and not just basically police work by white collar knowledge workers.

in my real life i am getting ready to be locked out by canada post's management in july and im racking up the overtime in anticipation

things canada post is asking for during negotiations:
-taking away our paid lunch (6% paycut)
-cutting a weeks vacation for everyone
-taking away our stools so we can't sit down while we sort
-cutting our pension
-cutting our benefits
-removing seniority for temp workers
-no inflationary pay raises
-removal of job security
-bunch of other garbage
do you think there's any hope it is a tactic to get the liberals to intervene and save the day or are you going to get fucked.

RBC posted:

Pretty much but I would take this even farther and say the lsat exists mainly to reinforce the mythology of the "law" being something that's objectively measureable and not just basically police work by white collar knowledge workers.

yeah i was reading a little bit about how the 'new legal paradigm' is basically to be immersed into risk management and accounting through full service consultancies which treat every aspect of law as a car recall formula. but someone told me the underlying risk models they use are often points-based and the points honestly include things like "does the country's leader appear in a military uniform in public." well i'm sure by now it is all done with big data strange crossreferencing which is just as bogus.

some of the grad programs i see now are almost baffling at the audacity, like i saw a masters program which was focused on the public affairs of overseas mining operations. an entire prestige business program on that one topic, because you can imagine how much money they invest now in fighting ideas like 'you shouldn't systematically murder union leaders'.

https://www.propublica.org/article/machine-bias-risk-assessments-in-criminal-sentencing

A computer program spat out a score predicting the likelihood of each committing a future crime. Borden — who is black — was rated a high risk. Prater — who is white — was rated a low risk.

Two years later, we know the computer algorithm got it exactly backward. Borden has not been charged with any new crimes. Prater is serving an eight-year prison term for subsequently breaking into a warehouse and stealing thousands of dollars’ worth of electronics.

Scores like this — known as risk assessments — are increasingly common in courtrooms across the nation. They are used to inform decisions about who can be set free at every stage of the criminal justice system, from assigning bond amounts — as is the case in Fort Lauderdale — to even more fundamental decisions about defendants’ freedom. In Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Kentucky, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin, the results of such assessments are given to judges during criminal sentencing.

Rating a defendant’s risk of future crime is often done in conjunction with an evaluation of a defendant’s rehabilitation needs. The Justice Department’s National Institute of Corrections now encourages the use of such combined assessments at every stage of the criminal justice process. And a landmark sentencing reform bill currently pending in Congress would mandate the use of such assessments in federal prisons.

Northpointe’s core product is a set of scores derived from 137 questions that are either answered by defendants or pulled from criminal records. Race is not one of the questions. The survey asks defendants such things as: “Was one of your parents ever sent to jail or prison?” “How many of your friends/acquaintances are taking drugs illegally?” and “How often did you get in fights while at school?” The questionnaire also asks people to agree or disagree with statements such as “A hungry person has a right to steal” and “If people make me angry or lose my temper, I can be dangerous.”

Well unless a really big celebrity dies who had a lot of classic tunes, that's going to be the worst thing I read today.
[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

RBC posted:

yeah i was reading a little bit about how the 'new legal paradigm' is basically to be immersed into risk management and accounting through full service consultancies which treat every aspect of law as a car recall formula. but someone told me the underlying risk models they use are often points-based and the points honestly include things like "does the country's leader appear in a military uniform in public." well i'm sure by now it is all done with big data strange crossreferencing which is just as bogus.

some of the grad programs i see now are almost baffling at the audacity, like i saw a masters program which was focused on the public affairs of overseas mining operations. an entire prestige business program on that one topic, because you can imagine how much money they invest now in fighting ideas like 'you shouldn't systematically murder union leaders'.

the practice of law and finance (rather than writing and theory) both seem to be driven strongly by the "product development" of the world's largest consultancies which cook up new bullshit to sell constantly that might sound good, it's such a huge industry of Inventing Paradigms or whatever. and everything has been about risk calculation since 2008, thinking that some pile of questions and arbitrary numerical values attached to subjective feelings and ideological standpoints can be worked into algorithmic calculations to make "ideology-free" "objective" (eeheehee) decisions about things.

it's so naive and so woven into the fabric of billion-dollar Management Consulting now that it feels like there's nothing to be done about it at all, they just have to fuck up over and over and over and over until it breaks

i wouldn't recommend a legal career to anyone who doesn't want to be a professionally conscientious liberal. also if you don't want to do the type of law that's for rich people problems (most of it) you're probably dealing with the most fucked up aspects of people's personal lives. i have a client right now whose ex-husband is one of those guys who likes to talk about men's rights and call the cops for "harassment" when you text him about picking up the kids, except he's real and not on the internet so i can't just tell him to fuck off and in fact have to be bend-over-backwards-polite with the touchy little douchebag. i'm glad someone can help her but otoh i was also glad to have been able build a life with very little bullshit insane person drama in it, and importing it in from other people's lives makes me want to go work for the post office or something
and i guess that's a fucked up liberal perspective, a sort of emotional FYGM. but i'm very tired today
[account deactivated]
A sort of emotional female fennel mutation
[account deactivated]
yeah, just another friendly reminder that if you are considering a career in law, dont do it

i had a professor who is marxist, taught labor law and a seminar called class and law. we had a discussion about whether one can be a truly radical/revolutionary lawyer, and the consensus was that no, no you fucking cant
engineering school is different than industry work, because school is so heavy into research and exploration (which gives you kind of a footloose and fancy free feeling) , and when you get out there you'll find old grumpy engineers that don't want to teach you with no power ( pretty high wages but no union) saying "yes sir" all the time and working very long hours. eventually you realise it's just a job like the rest of them and your shut mouth and do it and hopefully have good things to do in spare time that isn't boozing and going home to a well appointed and well empty apartment
It's important to know that you could have easily become a lawyer though. Like counting coup. Ace the gre, the lsat, get into grad school, whatever, and then refuse to pursue it any further.

tpaine posted:

something

it's You.

[account deactivated]

animedad posted:

engineering school is different than industry work, because school is so heavy into research and exploration (which gives you kind of a footloose and fancy free feeling) , and when you get out there you'll find old grumpy engineers that don't want to teach you with no power ( pretty high wages but no union) saying "yes sir" all the time and working very long hours. eventually you realise it's just a job like the rest of them and your shut mouth and do it and hopefully have good things to do in spare time that isn't boozing and going home to a well appointed and well empty apartment

please stop with the doxxing

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Currently listening to: Summertime Sadness by Lana Del Ray
I'm still not sure what engineering is. It's a kind of math that makes you a libertarian, but what is the application..?
[account deactivated]
I think it's like high school math where you memorize a bunch of formulas but all the formulas are for... How much a gallon of different liquids weigh, or how good levers are.