How are you doing Keven... You seemed like you had big and negative news the other day and left it looming... in the Keven Korner subforum we were thinking about you.

getfiscal posted:

getfiscal posted:

How are your jobs going? How is school? How is your organizing going? What major crimes have you committed? Let's try to get more reading done! Let's get off the off-site!

Well, it's been 15 months since I posted this thread. Since then I've enrolled in school and finished a year of courses. It's going well! In my honours seminar I got an A+ on my final paper by relating the Paris Commune to Black Reconstruction and Marx's theory of revolution. I also earned a bit of money and traveled a bit. Good times!

i've done nothing but drink more. god bless.

And there's one capstone course where the only requirement is they ask you if you find drones exciting and you have to say yes.

getfiscal posted:

How are you doing Keven... You seemed like you had big and negative news the other day and left it looming... in the Keven Korner subforum we were thinking about you.

I think I just asked people to pray for me to annoy tpaine

The states broke so my jobs probably going to get fucked but I don't care I'm done in 7 months
[account deactivated]
Good. I'm glad.
[account deactivated]
Looks like my gf got a job back in her homeland of glorious Eire and I will be going with her and hopefully getting a job that doesn't crush me. Anyone know anything about the communist party of Ireland? They seem ok and as I will be unemployed for a while my job won't clash with meetings

https://cpimleire.wordpress.com
Nice. That's exactly what i wanted.

TG posted:

yeah, just another friendly reminder that if you are considering a career in law, dont do it

i had a professor who is marxist, taught labor law and a seminar called class and law. we had a discussion about whether one can be a truly radical/revolutionary lawyer, and the consensus was that no, no you fucking cant

althusser:

Law formally regulates the interplay of the capitalist relations of production, since it defines proprietors, their property (assets), their right to 'use' and 'abuse' their property with complete freedom, and the reciprocal right to acquire property. As such, the concrete object of law is the capitalist relations of production insofar as it expressly abstracts from them.

A word of caution: an abstraction is always, exactly like a negation, determinate. Bourgeois law does not abstract from just anything, but, rather, from the concrete determinate object whose play, or, in other words, functioning, it is 'charged' with regulating: the capitalist relations of production.

We must of course not succumb on this point to the ideological illusion that allows magistrates or jurists to act, with a clear 'moral' or 'professional' 'conscience', as servants of the capitalist state. This is the illusion that since all subjects are declared equal and free before the law, and since the law is the law of freedom and equality, magistrates and jurists are the servants of freedom and equality, not of the capitalist state.

i was considering law school but ehhfgh.

[account deactivated]

overfire posted:

Looks like my gf got a job back in her homeland of glorious Eire and I will be going with her and hopefully getting a job that doesn't crush me. Anyone know anything about the communist party of Ireland? They seem ok and as I will be unemployed for a while my job won't clash with meetings

why the christ would anyone go back to ireland

littlegreenpills posted:

why the christ would anyone go back to ireland

maybe they have some heinous crime in their past and need to return to commit further crimes to cover it up. don't just assume they are depraved enough to want to go to ireland.

[account deactivated]
my mood today:

Keven posted:

I think it's like high school math where you memorize a bunch of formulas but all the formulas are for... How much a gallon of different liquids weigh, or how good levers are.

it's pretty cool. uhh, I guess it beats sitting around the house or whatever

animedad posted:

Keven posted:

I think it's like high school math where you memorize a bunch of formulas but all the formulas are for... How much a gallon of different liquids weigh, or how good levers are.

it's pretty cool

its bad. claiming it is possible to weigh a liquid without knowing the material relations of production that gave rise to the liquid leads to such errors as being able to define a vaporization pressure and an optimal flow rate for Zyklon B going thru a shower head

Yo German Joey, shut this shit down. no respect I tells ya
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

im starting an engineering program and i realy want to buy a drone and a vr headset to pilot it with and harass birds. sorrry

groovy. they are trying to use them to install antennas and stuff now lol

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

do you think there's any hope it is a tactic to get the liberals to intervene and save the day or are you going to get fucked.

We just won a legal case against the Harper government that declared their back to work order way back during the 2011 lockout illegal and unconstitutional: http://www.cupw.ca/en/posties-win-big-tory-back-work-legislation-ruled-unconstitutional

That's going to tie the government's hands to stay out of any labor dispute. I'm not sure what the management's long term strategy with a lockout is but I have no doubt they have something up their sleeve because they are crafty as fuck.

aerdil posted:

my mood today:

WES: And it's about breaking shit?
FRED: Absolutely breaking shit.
WES: So you're saying, I go in to Interscope, and tell them I got this idea for a nu-metal song about breaking shit?
FRED: We go into Interscope.
WES: "We"? Since when are you a musician?
FRED: (Scoffs) Musician. We're talking about nu-mutal.

[account deactivated]

RBC posted:

getfiscal posted:

do you think there's any hope it is a tactic to get the liberals to intervene and save the day or are you going to get fucked.

We just won a legal case against the Harper government that declared their back to work order way back during the 2011 lockout illegal and unconstitutional: http://www.cupw.ca/en/posties-win-big-tory-back-work-legislation-ruled-unconstitutional

That's going to tie the government's hands to stay out of any labor dispute. I'm not sure what the management's long term strategy with a lockout is but I have no doubt they have something up their sleeve because they are crafty as fuck.

they might call your bargaining team at 3am with a conditional offer that expires in 15 minutes, it's happened before

i've seen the union pushing postal banking strongly, which isn't a bad idea in principle but it seems like it has a low chance of getting through under liberals. unless it is some bastardized version where they leverage private investment and create some quasi-public payday lender or something awful (murphy's law). diversification in general could be good though i guess. in reality i don't see why we can't just say that letter mail is just a thing we need and subsidize it, but the scale of costs involved make it unpalatable when you could spend the same money on like a useless fighter plane.

anyway post more about it as you hear please because i'd like to keep informed on that.
trump is coming to town and everyones excited
also in my mostly-uninformed view, part of the conversation has to be package delivery, but i think even most of the left has abandoned the once-consensus idea that maybe we shouldn't have big corporations dominate package delivery.

getfiscal posted:

i've seen the union pushing postal banking strongly, which isn't a bad idea in principle but it seems like it has a low chance of getting through under liberals. unless it is some bastardized version where they leverage private investment and create some quasi-public payday lender or something awful (murphy's law). diversification in general could be good though i guess. in reality i don't see why we can't just say that letter mail is just a thing we need and subsidize it, but the scale of costs involved make it unpalatable when you could spend the same money on like a useless fighter plane.

anyway post more about it as you hear please because i'd like to keep informed on that.

Yes, the strategy is basically this: If we push postal banking, it helps with negotiations because the union is proposing a way to move forward by growing the "business" while seeking improvements for workers. It makes management look bad because all they're trying to do is cut labour costs when labour costs have already declined every year for about a decade and we already were forced to accept huge cuts in the last contract. So if we're forced to go to abritration or some other bullshit the union is in a much better position to say that their demands are reasonable. Whether it would be successful if implemented or not is another story, and isn't really the point.

Lettermail is just something canada post has been harping on forever.. the reality is everyone knows the future is in parcels and the growth there is more than enough to sustain all the other operations for a very long time.

What about when drones take your job for good at the same time self driving cars take everyone else's jobs for good.
Drones are also slated to take my job as a courier
They'll functionally take everyone's jobs by quadrupling the supply for every remaining job.
[account deactivated]
Naw I comfortably make 20-25k a year if working full time. But I'm def in the upper 10% of courier incomes bc of my company and seniority

overfire posted:

Wow i didn't there was a ML CPI.
That's different from the communist party, right?
www.communistpartyofireland.ie

I still know very little about the various parties but am getting a bit of introduction on how they work visa how they relate to the housing struggle