Rules:
1. Sincere posts only
2. No modernism
fast forwarding 100 years
fast forward 100 or 200 more

I make fine art. Here's a sample:

EmanuelaBrolandi was probated until (April 17, 2012 10:56:58) for this post!

GoldenLionTamarin posted:
Rules:
1. Sincere posts only
2. No modernism

the monkey has access to THE BUTTON in order to enforce these rules people. you have been warned

What if me and Shermanstick sincerely believe what we post is high art?
That is the posting equivalent of the insanity defense, right?

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
What if me and Shermanstick sincerely believe what we post is high art?

i'll let a tiny brazilian primate be the qadi of that

high art
I'll let you go with a warning, Sherman.
Thank you, I didn't see the No Modernism part before

I'll allow that. A nice swinging tune.
what're your feelings about middle-brow art.

let's just say i've got some philip glass on the old iTunes

getfiscal posted:

what're your feelings about middle-brow art.

let's just say i've got some philip glass on the old iTunes

no

LandBeluga posted:

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Yes! Yes! Yes!

LandBeluga posted:

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Ahh! Yes! Yes!

i'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but have you considered take on me by a-ha as performed by a north korean accordian ensemble?

crustpunk_trotsky posted:

getfiscal posted:

i'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but have you considered take on me by a-ha as performed by a north korean accordian ensemble?

interesting anecdote about take on me covers. that site yourscenesucks says this on the "rude boy" page:

the rude boy was never good at any sports, so instead he opted to join the marching band which, incidentally, led to the formation of his own group. the band enjoyed their biggest success at a recent high school battle of the bands, where they showcased their originality by covering the reel big fish cover of a-ha’s “take on me”.

i did not think anything of this passage until i found out one of the local ska bands was actually doing a cover of the reel big fish cover of take on me. i really hate ska

getfiscal posted:

On a not-entirely-unrelated note, is this permissible?

i wouldnt call it high art but its pretty cool
It's possibly the best music I've heard on instruments co-opted from Trini culture by white folk.
KICK OUT THE JAMS MOTHERFUCKERS

LandBeluga posted:
It's possibly the best music I've heard on instruments co-opted from Trini culture by white folk.

screencap from the food network's newest daytime program

THE FUCK YOU MEAN NO MOderniSM. HAVe YOU NOT READ ANY FRANFurt SCHOOL OR NOTHIN. BLUD ARE YOU DIZZY
imagine i photoshopped adornos head into a big toilet full of poop and hes eating it too
FUCK YOU BUDDY

adorno was a big ole sourpuss elitist really, he was right about a lot of stuff but unlike benjamin he didnt really 'get' it

Rumi posted:
"Hallaj"

Hallaj said what he said and went to the origin
through the hole in the scaffold.

I cut a cap's worth of cloth from his robe,
and it swamped over me from head to foot.

Years ago, I broke a bunch of roses
from the top of his wall. A thorn from that
is still in my palm working deeper.

From Hallaj, I learned to hunt lions,
but I became something hungrier than a lion.

I was a frisky colt. He broke me
with a quiet hand on the side of my head.

A person comes to him naked. It's cold.
There's a fur coat floating in the river.

"Jump in and get it," he says.
You dive in. You reach for the coat.
It reaches for you.

It's a live bear that has fallen in upstream,
drifting with the current.

"How long does it take!" Hallaj yells from the bank.
"Don't wait," you answer. "This coat
has decided to wear me home!"

A little part of a story, a hint.
Do you need long sermons on Hallaj?

i dont get cubism. is it one of those things where im supposed to look at it and think its pretty and feel things, or one of those things where im supposed to admire the form or whatever but not actually like it
some baroque art is ok i guess (UNLIKE THE MUSIC!! FUCK), they had a big ole baroque exhibition at the met and some of it was rly powerful..... it's all so representational though
i like representational art. i have a big reproduction of this painting on my wall

i dont get cubism. is it one of those things where im supposed to look at it and think its pretty and feel things, or one of those things where im supposed to admire the form or whatever but not actually like it

"...This is important, because to make something from what is really there—something which is neither obviously determined by what offers itself to us nor simply ignores what offers itself to us in order to impose its own subjective idea—this is what all true artistic creation does, according to Heidegger's view (presented in section 3.7). As we saw, every “authentic” hermeneutics must do this; to interpret any great work of art, “you yourself” have to struggle to bring forth its hidden riches, just as the farmer must struggle with the earth to bring forth the bounty nurtured within it. To engage in such phenomenological hermeneutics, we might thus say, is to encounter oneself as a farmer of meaning. For, such an encounter allows us to understand for ourselves what it is like when the earth comes to inform our worlds with a genuine, partly independent meaning which we ourselves brought forth creatively and yet did not simply make-up or project onto the work. When we catch ourselves in the act of making-sense of an artwork in this way, then we experience for ourselves that fundamental making-sense from which, for Heidegger, all genuine meaning ultimately derives."

mistersix posted:

"...This is important, because to make something from what is really there—something which is neither obviously determined by what offers itself to us nor simply ignores what offers itself to us in order to impose its own subjective idea—this is what all true artistic creation does, according to Heidegger's view (presented in section 3.7). As we saw, every “authentic” hermeneutics must do this; to interpret any great work of art, “you yourself” have to struggle to bring forth its hidden riches, just as the farmer must struggle with the earth to bring forth the bounty nurtured within it. To engage in such phenomenological hermeneutics, we might thus say, is to encounter oneself as a farmer of meaning. For, such an encounter allows us to understand for ourselves what it is like when the earth comes to inform our worlds with a genuine, partly independent meaning which we ourselves brought forth creatively and yet did not simply make-up or project onto the work. When we catch ourselves in the act of making-sense of an artwork in this way, then we experience for ourselves that fundamental making-sense from which, for Heidegger, all genuine meaning ultimately derives."

that sounds kinda gay, dude.

cubism is interesting because it straddles the boundary between representation and abstraction, its art that forces you to recontextualise the way you approach the world and objects around you, in that way its effect is an intellectual one but i get a real aesthetic sense out of the form and composition of a lot of the paintings..... of course as ever its rarely enough to look at a picture on the internet, you kinda have to go to a gallery and see the damn thing to experience it properly

heres a link to the rest in case youd enjoy it more in context
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/heidegger-aesthetics/

i like representational art. i have a big reproduction of this painting on my wall
http://www.oilpaintingswholesalefromchina.com/oilpaintingshop/Hudson%20River/Thomas%20Cole/040.jpg

thats like barely one step up from thomas kinkade

deadken posted:

http://www.oilpaintingswholesalefromchina.com/oilpaintingshop/Hudson%20River/Thomas%20Cole/040.jpg

thats like barely one step up from thomas kinkade

the color scheme in that image is a lot different than the actual work. also, remember that i can probate you, ken.