Many took issue with the lack of diversity on the show (every single character, except for a homeless person, is white)

Lena Dunham discussed the lack of diversity in an interview with HuffPost's Chris Rosen, saying that she hopes to address the issue in a second season

tv show
i used to wish my dad was in bad company but not anymore if this is how far it gets you
i'm a young NYer with no black or brown friends
this show is so fucking bad that minorities should be proud not to be on it.
you could argue that some tv shows can help reveal, as through a glass darkly, the diaphonous outlines of the great bones that our civilization's flesh hangs from. def not hbo shows tho

Groulxsmith posted:
i'm a young NYer with no black or brown friends

So am I. RT @Geniusbastard: I'm always bewildered by shows set in contemporary NYC that arent all-white. #Girls

whocares posted:
this show is so fucking bad that minorities should be proud not to be on it.

Such a variety of opinions on #girls from women I respect and admire. I just wish the expectations weren't so fucking heavy.

a show where one of the main characters defining characteristics is: forced into degrading and weird sex by her sort of boyfriend guy

whocares posted:
a show where one of the main characters defining characteristics is: forced into degrading and weird sex by her sort of boyfriend guy

Love the female friendships, realistic bodies & painful realism; hate the entitlement & normalization of REALLY bad sex

correct
frankly i think a show about the problems of upper middle class white new yorkers is a refreshing topic for HBO
what about stymietown, usa?

Superabound posted:

whocares posted:

Love the female friendships, realistic bodies & painful realism; hate the entitlement & normalization of REALLY bad sex

But.... sex is really bad

i was born on third but i've been walking the bases backwards and all the coaches are screaming at me to turn around and get back to third and i'm just dazed and the umpire said i'm out for going backwards but still a shamble towards first
I was born on third base, sexually

guidoanselmi posted:
what about stymietown, usa?

a subject for another day

Meursault posted:
I was born on third base, sexually

"damn, this baby is sexy", said the doctor.

"slap that ass", said the nurse.

"he breathin', he breathin'"

*roof is raised*

getfiscal posted:
i was born on third but i've been walking the bases backwards and all the coaches are screaming at me to turn around and get back to third and i'm just dazed and the umpire said i'm out for going backwards but still a shamble towards first

fortunately i'm dude in right field with the ball and i just sat down to stare at it and pick at the grass

i was born on a cricket pitch
i was born in the women's restroom at Wrigley field
i don't really understand the joke behind that poster unless it's just a reason to make fun of someone for being related to david mamet
what is this bullshit all about idgi

Groulxsmith posted:
i don't really understand the joke behind that poster unless it's just a reason to make fun of someone for being related to david mamet

the best show on television is glee, which takes liberal tropes to absurd extremes and ends up undermining them
i thought that was bob's burgers
no thats just a cartoon about hamburgs (thats what i call them or sometimes just burgs)
hambies
cow sandwidge
i prefer using grandslamwiches as bread and a lutherburger as the meat
the onion gave this show an A so i guess thatmeans ill watch the first episode eh, white power.

aerdil posted:
the onion gave this show an A so i guess thatmeans ill watch the first episode eh, white power.

ttell me if its any good, in the interest of full objectivity i have refrained from actually watching it

i enjoyed the show
It was pretty funny. It's annoying because of all the spoiled trust fund kids but that's what it's like!! Everyone's getting their pants in a wad after having seen at most the pilot of a show. Haters..............
the only part of that fake poster that's wrong is the one where it says "thinks they hit a triple" but that makes a big difference imo. if i didn't get the impression that the writer and most of the characters know how silly and trite their struggles and problems were i would hate this show but i do so i don't

Meursault posted:
It was pretty funny. It's annoying because of all the spoiled trust fund kids but that's what it's like!! Everyone's getting their pants in a wad after having seen at most the pilot of a show. Haters..............

yeah im p ideologically disinclined to watch a bunch of S.T.F.K. J.A.P.s wax existential but otoh i love wes anderson movies so...

There's a scene where she tries to turn her unpaid internship into a paying job that's pretty funny.

I mean it's fun to make fun of unemployed uppermiddle class English majors living on mom and dad's money, but youth unemployment is like 80% or something. I mean there's pretty much no way for the majority of creative ppl to make any money except waiting tables or working IT or some bullshit. Maybe the 20th century was a historical anomaly but it still sucks and anyway I can't wait til worldwide anarchommunist revolution
please dont make fun of me