palafox posted:

jools posted:

well the main thing about them is their location more than their architecture. the truly rhizofascist aspect of israeli settlement is probably more the roads.

I'm new here, so I don't know if this like a commonly bandied idea in these parts or what, but this is like a real life thing, both in terms of after-the-fact analysis and actual tactics
http://www.frieze.com/issue/article/the_art_of_war/

I hate this thing, of course an IDF commander cites D&G as the reason for cutting holes through walls in a densely packed urban settlement where any open area is exposed. I remember when the original paper about this came out and it seemed kind of amazing at the time, but the thing is that in the age of guns, when a commander found a city against him and didn't have either the means or the desire to just blow the entire city up, they would do exactly this tunneling through walls thing. It's always specifically cited in this battle during the american campaign against pancho villa in mexico, the town was built of super thick adobe and they cut holes in walls of houses to move through rather than exposing themselves to fire. The same thing happened in stalingrad and other famous urban battles. Maybe it took reading d&g to formalize it as doctrine, but it just sounds like a cute way to justify it post hoc

agreed.

tpaine posted:

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON IN THIS THREAD

it all makes sense if u remember that native americans are the lost tribes of israel

Chicago pizza is really fucking good when you are blåzed the fuck out.
[account deactivated]

Myfanwy posted:

palafox posted:

jools posted:

well the main thing about them is their location more than their architecture. the truly rhizofascist aspect of israeli settlement is probably more the roads.

I'm new here, so I don't know if this like a commonly bandied idea in these parts or what, but this is like a real life thing, both in terms of after-the-fact analysis and actual tactics
http://www.frieze.com/issue/article/the_art_of_war/

I hate this thing, of course an IDF commander cites D&G as the reason for cutting holes through walls in a densely packed urban settlement where any open area is exposed. I remember when the original paper about this came out and it seemed kind of amazing at the time, but the thing is that in the age of guns, when a commander found a city against him and didn't have either the means or the desire to just blow the entire city up, they would do exactly this tunneling through walls thing. It's always specifically cited in this battle during the american campaign against pancho villa in mexico, the town was built of super thick adobe and they cut holes in walls of houses to move through rather than exposing themselves to fire. The same thing happened in stalingrad and other famous urban battles. Maybe it took reading d&g to formalize it as doctrine, but it just sounds like a cute way to justify it post hoc

I don't really know dick about like the history of military analysis tropes w/r/t tunneling through walls or sappers or anything (sure wish I did though, any advice?), and there's a ton of military history in general I don't know, but I think that a decent part of the essay pretty clearly describes that process of after-the-fact justification, and maybe even ends up being the whole point of the thing. For example, the paragraph that mentions swarm theory and then foucault basically just describes what has been historically the primary way that guerrilla warfare was enacted, right? (tell me if I'm reading this wrong, please)
The interesting point isn't that the specific acts the IDF are perpetrating are novel (although maybe the book crow recommended says that, I have to read it), but rather that the way they're describing their actions internally and explicating (read: justifying) them externally is part of an approach towards systemic dominance that is antithetical to most of the theory they cite (duh, of course), but cloaked in said theory itself, merely for the effect of the theory's citation. I thought of it less as an essay on physical changes to tactics and more on language as a weapon, and how some of the most useful mental tools we have for breaking down systems of control can be used to support them- not because of any semantic perversion or failure on the author's parts, but just that such is the power of this body of work

Transient_Grace posted:

using goat science you could estimate there were only about 2,100 dinosaurs roaming the earth over a 300 million year period.

i had a math teacher in highschool who gave a lecture once using this kind of logic to prove that dinosaurs never existed and young earth creationism was right

the ancient aliens episode on dinosaurs is probably the greatest cultural artefact humanity will ever produce
this thread should be about dinosaurs, which are cool, and not the extermination of the native americans, which is gay
[account deactivated]
the only cool israeli expat is gilad atzmon
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
lol at the notion of a million hunter gatherers in one location
Three million natives in what is now contiguous America is not an unreasonable figure. It's one percent of our current population with cities, sewers, medicine, water treatment, cars, massive farms, or 10% of the figure in 1860 when we had industry, major metropolitan areas and armies in the hundreds of thousands. To assert that there was anything remotely similar to that population is absurd
goatstein how did you find an employer that would pay you money?
very carefully lol.

deadken posted:

the only cool israeli expat is gilad atzmon

that's almost right http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0CaGLOGI3g

Goethestein posted:

Three million natives in what is now contiguous America is not an unreasonable figure. It's one percent of our current population with cities, sewers, medicine, water treatment, cars, massive farms, or 10% of the figure in 1860 when we had industry, major metropolitan areas and armies in the hundreds of thousands. To assert that there was anything remotely similar to that population is absurd

goat have you ever heard of hernando de soto, even once?
what was the missippian culture? a miserable 22 million cubic foot pile of secrets

discipline posted:

I just want evil jeff k to know if he's reading this that I'm sorry for bad blood, I think you're a cool guy and your girlfriend is sweet. I'm kind of shy to approach him directly so maybe this will get into the atmosphere somehow. I'm sorry I was a real hardline bitch while living in an open air prison but now I have some perspective after meeting some cool israeli expats here in london and reading more +972 and being out of the shit for a while and stuff so yeah

don't apologize lmao EJK was a dumb dude

Dru u are a

Goethestein posted:

lol at the notion of a million hunter gatherers in one location

haha "hunter gatherers"

more like humper faggotters

thirdplace posted:

goat have you ever heard of hernando de soto, even once?

he's the guy who said third world countries are poor because they have excessive bureaucracies. How do you expect Bolivian peasants to accumulate capital when there are so many gotdang forms to fill out

fareed zakaria had a smarty man talk show on pbs years ago and on one episode he said that egypt had millions of people that lived in shacks without land title and that also these people had no access to credit, so they were sort of frozen into poverty. and he said well then give them land title and let them lean on it for microcredit loans and then bam, everyone in egypt will be rich. and i'm pretty sure he's not joking.

edit: it was peak liberalism.
actually that's one of those instances where I think neoliberals are sort of right but not for the reasons they think. De soto
I
Mean
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Israel’s deputy ambassador to Ireland, Nurit Tinari Modai, recently sent a letter to the Foreign Ministry, with some unusual suggestions for how Israel should fight its own citizens who dare show solidarity with Palestinians. The letter was revealed by Channel 10 news this evening.

We can find names of Israelis… we should hit their soft spot, publish their pictures, maybe it will embarrass their friends and relatives at home, and hopefully the local activists will think that they work for the Mossad…
The acts of these activists are, I think, not ideologically motivated, but rather have to do with psychological reasons (disappointment with their parents or problems with their sexual identity) or due to their need to receive a residence permit (refugee visa) in one of the European countries…

The Foreign Ministry told Channel 10 that the letter doesn’t reflect the work of the office, which “doesn’t carry out witch-hunts.”

Damn, guess they shoulda figured that out before they decided to upset GOD and tolerate sodomites. When you lie down with gay dogs don't be surprised if you wake up with leftist AIDS.

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

This is in no way funny so cut it the fuck out.

much like your boner

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
tel aviv is a must see city mostly because iran is going to remove it from the page of time pretty soon with a big honkin' nuke
if i want to see gays, jews and beaches i'll stay in sydney
remember when juan cole had a meltdown trying to defend iran against all these terrible slanders about how ahmadinejad was anti-semitic and shit and was like hey look they are just studying the holocaust we need to study things and 'remove from the page of time' doesn't mean he wants to kill jews he just means he wants a single state where people live in peace. and then pretty soon iranian people just issued streams of invective towards jews and juan cole went back to translating thomas jefferson into arabic for the CIA so that arabs could learn freedom.
I gave them my membership card from the Gay and Lesbian Association and explained to them that I have no choice but to be in Israel, and that my life would be in danger in the Territories. I also explained that I had asked for a permit to be in Israel and showed them the slip of paper I got from the Ministry of the Interior. One of them told me: “You can wipe your ass with those papers.”

One of the interrogators, called K, started insulting me when he saw the gay association membership card. He said: “So, you take it up your ass? You fuck men?” He started cursing me and said: “You are coming here and ruining our country. Don’t move, you maniac, I’ll kill you, I’ll fuck you.”... When I told him I would be killed in the Territories he said: “So what, a dog is dead.”

TEL AVIV NAMED "BEST GAY CITY 2011" BY GAYCITIES.COM!