if star trek was post-scarcity then why did you need to book the holodeck hmm?

getfiscal posted:

if star trek was post-scarcity then why did you need to book the holodeck hmm?

inefficient government bureaucracies

star trek imagines something that is complete fantasy: a technologically advanced life-form developing in multiple places millions of light years from various other remarkably similar manifestations and somehow advancing, in a faustian manner, beyond the limitations of simple biological reality, not killing itself and developing a means to travel beyond the realms of physicial possibility to meet other technologically advance societies. sort of like the world being created by a bunch of little invisible things being packed into nothing then exploding into everything and not by God. in other words, totally ridiculous and made up.

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

star trek imagines something that is complete fantasy: a technologically advanced life-form developing in multiple places and somehow advancing, in a faustian manner, beyond the limitations of simple biological reality, not killing itself and developing a means to travel beyond the realms of physicial possibility to meet other technologically advance societies. sort of like the world being created by a bunch of little invisible things being packed into nothing then exploding into everything and not by God. in other words, totally ridiculous and made up.

a product of 20th C modernity, yes

tom edit your post to reflect my edit. tia.

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

star trek imagines something that is complete fantasy: a technologically advanced life-form developing in multiple places millions of light years from various other remarkably similar manifestations

lol SOMEONE hasn't seen all of TNG

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

tom edit your post to reflect my edit. tia.

no

getfiscal posted:

lol SOMEONE hasn't seen all of TNG

the only star trek i watch is the good old shit where the dude from the orbitz commercials and the guy with the song about tom bombadil and bilbo wagon fuck alien bitches in space

sociopaths arguing over what kind of obscene political murder fantasy the star trek utopia is actually representing; this is The Saddest Thread.
i'm glad that the theist crew can't come up with arguments better than watchmaker and pantheism. heh. no thanks, i choose reason.
the fuck is watchmaker? i'm like lungfish i've never read the bible so i dont know what you're referring to...

babyfinland posted:

sociopaths arguing over what kind of obscene political murder fantasy the star trek utopia is actually representing; this is The Saddest Thread.

liking star trek has been literally the #1 disqualifying criteria for sociopathy since DSM-III-R

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

the fuck is watchmaker? i'm like lungfish i've never read the bible so i dont know what you're referring to...

there's this story that goes something like this: you are walking along on a beach and you find a golden pocketwatch. what's more likely, that somewhere there is a watchmaker that left it there, or that it just randomly came together? basically it's the argument that you think the existence of complex things proves that god exists. and usually then people go oh yeah that means this book written by weird sand people is totally correct too.

what the fuck is going on in thjis thread

babyfinland posted:

it never occurred to me star trek was meant to be a utopia, theres even an episode where an indian tribe still has no homeland and its the 24th century so even the writers explicitly dont believe this

what if you turn the watch around and on the back it says "if found, return to Muhammad"???

cleanhands posted:

babyfinland posted:

it never occurred to me star trek was meant to be a utopia, theres even an episode where an indian tribe still has no homeland and its the 24th century so even the writers explicitly dont believe this

the writers are north american

star trek is bad you morons, its dumb bad liberal nonsense about aliens and lasers and sexual adventurism, it's not communist, and if it were Who Cares, because its bad, and, furthermore, dumb

deadken posted:

star trek is bad you morons, its dumb bad liberal nonsense about aliens and lasers and sexual adventurism, it's not communist, and if it were Who Cares, because its bad, and, furthermore, dumb

dumb bad liberal nonsense is the reason my head leaves my pillow in the afternoon

hmm i know rather than a) actually trying to advance marxist science through criticism and self-criticism or b) doing mad drugs and booze and partying im going to assess the ideological credentials of made up aliens Lol

cleanhands posted:

only Earth (America) is utopia. the rest of the universe is unexplored badlands filled with weird looking mud races who are constantly engaging in petty tribal spats that Earth people have to fix within 60 minutes minus commericals in order to restore trade routes and fix planetary "medicine" shortages. Star Trek is Neoliberalism Done Correctly

But Have You Considered That In Episode 30-19/4B The Leader Of The Plonky-Plonkians Says 'On Our Planet We Have Factories Run By Worker Co-Operatives As Is Our Custom' Surely They Are The Socialest Far More So Than The Revisionist Flangarangians Even If Their Eyebrow Ridges Kinda Look Like Sickles

Superabound posted:

cleanhands posted:

only Earth (America) is utopia. the rest of the universe is unexplored badlands filled with weird looking mud races who are constantly engaging in petty tribal spats that Earth people have to fix within 60 minutes minus commericals in order to restore trade routes and fix planetary "medicine" shortages. Star Trek is Neoliberalism Done Correctly

Shut the Fuck Up

how did a thread about reddit manage to get worse
big words coming from a poster named after a labour politician

deadken posted:

yeah! y-yeah!! lets take dumb bad liberal nonsense out of tv and put it back in Parliament where it belongs *headslams Warp10 button* *salamanders*

Superabound posted:

deadken posted:

yeah! y-yeah!! lets take dumb bad liberal nonsense out of tv and put it back in Parliament where it belongs *headslams Warp10 button* *salamanders*

parliament is exactly where dumb bad liberal nonsense belongs, fool

deadken posted:

how did a thread about reddit manage to get worse

*whips out tricorder* *scans thread* "Captain, im picking up large amounts of fail particles in the BETA quadrant."

deadken just admit youre mad because you never got any credit for that time you saved DS9 by snorting up all the ketracel white this side of the Bajoran wormhole

VVVV very close. disturbingly close

Edited by Superabound ()

pictured: superabound
ken, i heard a rumor that your nickname in high school was "Bussard". c/d?
your posting is worse than when kh'prek'fol'drk'tal blasted the scirimingian home world with a pluton ray during the 43rd fabriastrid war between the gayliens of the faggot sector and the transextraterrestrials or sector troon
superabound didnt have a nickname in high school because he spent the entire time hiding in his own locker, constantly pissing himself in sheer terror. if he was known at all to his fellow students it was as a pervasive smell of ammonia
what happened rhizzone. you had potential

now I come home and find you arguing about communism in tng. your mother is crying. this cant be who we raised
"Its like theres a Nexus in my lobes, and everyones invited!" --deadken, moments after snorting the Crystalline Entity off an empty cd case

deadken posted:

superabound didnt have a nickname in high school because he spent the entire time hiding in his own locker, constantly pissing himself in sheer terror. if he was known at all to his fellow students it was as a pervasive smell of ammonia

lol we didnt have lockers and the ammonia smell was from my cats continually peeing on my backpack hahaha you dont know shit about me

stimulants are counterproductive because when they wear off the world is still shit and.you have to go through the shit of remembering that fact

death is the only good drug

Superabound posted:

"Its like theres a Nexus in my lobes, and everyones invited!" --deadken, moments after snorting the Crystalline Entity off an empty cd case

so i googled the crystalline entity and its an actual star trek thing, lmao theres no point even insulting u, the fact that you know all these dumb gay things is punishment enough

superabound keeps throwing out trek refs but theres no coherency and i dont think hes actually a true trekkie/trekker/trek-head

drwhat posted:

stimulants are counterproductive because when they wear off the world is still shit and.you have to go through the shit of remembering that fact

death is the only good drug

nah stimulants are awesome, im really liking methiopropamine these days because it makes you wired + focused + productive but also completely clearheaded and theres no euphoria whatsoever so i can write on it for hours and still think that everything is shit