guess what? deciding what to do with your life based on what "makes you happy" is the ultimate bourgeois indulgence. if you have the option to do what "makes you happy," don't do it. rather, do what does the most good for the most people. if you are fortunate enough to ponder the luxury of your own happiness, you likely have the time and resources available to effect a not insignificant amount of good. anyway, you have no idea what really makes you happy; happiness as it is presently understood is a construction of capitalism. you have been taught to want so many different, terrible things that you don't know what you really want. therefore, any desires you feel--for objects, for sexual gratification, for a "more satisfying" job--can be safely ignored. personal happiness is not important.
[account deactivated]
get a load of the dalai lama ovah heah
qft. this is why i click your threads.
damn this is particularly-immanent-to-universally my shit.
i agree with the OP, and as such, Don't Poop
desire for sexual gratification = artificially constructed by capitalism lol. thats obviously trueahahhahaaaaa
damn i thought the only thing one can eb guilty of is giving ground to ones desire but then... EJsus....CHRIstT!!!
the difference between a nihilism that is jealous of itself and despises the world and a nihilism that secretly holds out hope for a view beyond its own dull horizon disappears in the obscure moment when confession turns to boast and bread to toast

sosie posted:

the difference between a nihilism that is jealous of itself and despises the world and a nihilism that secretly holds out hope for a view beyond its own dull horizon disappears in the obscure moment when confession turns to boast and bread to toast

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Actually Happy Ness is the most important thing in the world,op, and several popular and loved "ethicists" do work about how to make everyone the most happy. They're called the "Utility Men." You should look into these instead of whatever retardo thoughts are giving your fat head depression.
OP reads like an iwc lf post from 2009.

get over it, capitalism isn't the only force that shapes this world
mods plz change my name to

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

reads like an iwc lf post from 2009.

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

OP reads like an iwc lf post from 2009.

get over it, capitalism isn't the only force that shapes this world

wait, are you saying there is semi-autonomy between the base and the superstructure, and relation between the two is not a reflection but rather, has its own historical development and temporality? #wow #woah #catdrugs

this guy is giving pugs a bad name with his shitty fucking posts
[account deactivated]
whoa i never listened to talk talk's non-heroin albums
[account deactivated]
standing shoulder to shoulder with triple H, doing a synchronized crotch chop in the face of global capital and enacting world wide communism - these are things that would make me personally happy. if that's wrong, then i don't want to be right
saem
I agree wit hthe OP.
Years of extreme self-medicating depersonalization therapy regimes using store bought disassociatives (ie cough syrup) has made my own consciousness somewhat, "above" that of most of the modern consumerist population... I just feel like I'm "beyond" all that shit that people worry about, like "happiness" and "success"

tpaine posted:

getfiscal posted:

whoa i never listened to talk talk's non-heroin albums

this is my fav song of theirs, from the same album

this is my favorite talk talk song and one of my favorite songs ever

the single edit cuts out like 3 minutes but the video is great

Y_KANT_HARRY_REID posted:

guess what? deciding what to do with your life based on what "makes you happy" is the ultimate bourgeois indulgence. if you have the option to do what "makes you happy," don't do it. rather, do what does the most good for the most people. if you are fortunate enough to ponder the luxury of your own happiness, you likely have the time and resources available to effect a not insignificant amount of good. anyway, you have no idea what really makes you happy; happiness as it is presently understood is a construction of capitalism. you have been taught to want so many different, terrible things that you don't know what you really want. therefore, any desires you feel--for objects, for sexual gratification, for a "more satisfying" job--can be safely ignored. personal happiness is not important.

this is both patronizing and ignorant at the simultaneous time

Hold on. Is this some kind of misleading joke? Are you trying to pull a fast one on us, Y_KANT_HARRY_REID?
the vein which is present in the OP and that has always existed in lf about how you can't enjoy anything or a large number of things you are exposed to in life because you're leftist or whatever is really stupid. it also lends itself, i think, to the constant conversations we have where we are blindly talking about how, "x sucks" and then someone else is like "no x is the shit" where it's all just about making irrelevant stands certain issues and ideas that are really just products of our lives as first worlders in capitalism. any conversation about "happiness" in quotation marks or whatever are, then, foolish exercises in arrogance by us the global 10%

Edited by EmanuelaBrolandi ()

i think rabbi hillel said it best:

“If I am not for myself, who will be for me?”
“If I am only for myself, what am ‘I’?”
“If not now, then when?”
came here to find some 80s music ,thread dilivers
op maybe your talking about getting lost in Capita-designed desire labyrinths that promise you happiness but end you being fucked up by a minotaur. maybe u have to slay the minotaur. maybe this is your personal quest op. your happiness is important.

maybe we should smash capitalism?? just thinking out loud here
lets smash the ocean with pellets made of felt
i'm pretty sure the dalai lama doesn't think that nobody should be happy.
the dalai lama is a goddamn good for nothing liberal
"Of all the modern economic theories, the economic system of Marxism is founded on moral principles, while capitalism is concerned only with gain and profitability. Marxism is concerned with the distribution of wealth on an equal basis and the equitable utilisation of the means of production. It is also concerned with the fate of the working classes—that is, the majority—as well as with the fate of those who are underprivileged and in need, and Marxism cares about the victims of minority-imposed exploitation. For those reasons the system appeals to me, and it seems fair."

- Dolly the Llama

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

the dalai lama is a goddamn good for nothing liberal

aren't you a liberal? i forget, i thought you said you were a liberal and that you like papa johns?

when did i say i was a liberal lol wut
ottoman nazbol 4 lyfe