[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

swampman posted:

i really dislike this new american liberal narrative of "hey guess what conservatives, this is what life is going to be like from now on thanks to global warming." for several reasons. but most prominent is that, yes, severe weather is increasing in strength and frequency, but severe weather events also simply happen, and the extent of the damage should be used as the primary evidence of how crappy we're doing. look at the category three that struck new england directly in 1938, it caused identical forms of mayhem in new york city. but there were only 100 deaths outside of rhode island.

seeing pictures of the flooded brooklyn battery tunnel made me wonder why that tunnel isnt able to withstand a 13.5' storm surge when nyc has been hit about that hard at least once every eighty years since franking forever ago

back in the 90s someone from new orleans quite proudly told a young me that it didnt matter how low their city was because their levees were designed to withstand a direct hit from a category 3 hurricane. no one ever had an answer when i asked if they knew the scale went up to 5.

however, the problem with trying to engineer safety systems is that you always have to have a stopping point, some level of acceptable risk. every minute of every day that you don't hit that limit everyone will hate you because the safeties were a waste of money, and on the 1 in 100 years event that was outside your design range everyone will hate you because why didnt you know that was coming???

that's not a good answer and it doesnt excuse NYC for failing to prep for a sneeze with an attitude problem but especially in the public sector it's hard to get shit done when building city-scale protective systems requires a massive construction undertaking that costs a fuckload of money and can severely change the character of the cities and inconvenience lots of people who will piss and cry about traffic reroutes or noise so cheap hack politicians start slashing the budget you had to work with.

the reason the nyc subway tunnel wasnt prepared for a minor hurricane is the same reason it was reported after the bridge collapse in minneapolis that we need to spend a trillion dollars just to bring the bridges in the US up to marginal condition. public works dont benefit the people who pay off public officials.

swampman posted:

i really dislike this new american liberal narrative of "hey guess what conservatives, this is what life is going to be like from now on thanks to global warming." for several reasons. but most prominent is that, yes, severe weather is increasing in strength and frequency, but severe weather events also simply happen, and the extent of the damage should be used as the primary evidence of how crappy we're doing. look at the category three that struck new england directly in 1938, it caused identical forms of mayhem in new york city. but there were only 100 deaths outside of rhode island.

seeing pictures of the flooded brooklyn battery tunnel made me wonder why that tunnel isnt able to withstand a 13.5' storm surge when nyc has been hit about that hard at least once every eighty years since franking forever ago

it's really surprising how shoddily constructed most of those buildings are and how few especially in new jersey are on stilts like everywhere else on the east coast south of long island with similar beaches and flood potential

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
uh just be a hipster and live in bush-stuy and you dont have to worry about storms. duh.
Move to chicago, live in paradise with the occasional day off work thanks to blizzards

discipline posted:

they should get something like the thames barrier for the harbor imo

sandy hook and rockaway are pretty far apart, like at least five miles

Lykourgos posted:

Move to chicago live in paradise with the occasional day off work thanks to blizzards

Welcome to the republican party

Groulxsmith posted:

discipline posted:

they should get something like the thames barrier for the harbor imo

sandy hook and rockaway are pretty far apart, like at least five miles

thats no problem, they're proposing a 10km long barrier for the thames estuary. also this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oosterscheldekering

jools posted:

Oosterscheldekering

things are gonna get bëddering..

how much is 10 km like 2 miles???
6.1 miles. cross country 'zonners stand UP
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
new york is over 200 miles away, jesus mom i have cell service still leave me alone
thanks a lot stegosaurus i have never been in a car before so i dont know 1 km = .6 miles

discipline posted:

there was this awesome freakout story on the local NBC affiliate about people in the village EATING... OUT.... OF .... DUMPSTERS and my friend and I laughed so hard

the eternal menace of freeganism

talk to your mom goatstein. then post the steampunk wedding photos.
i talk 2 my mom but sometimes i feel envious that my parents arent on another continent and not constantly bugging me about the weather because they're too busy watching primetime game shows with the intelligence and production values of Legends of the Hidden Temple

discipline posted:

there was this awesome freakout story on the local NBC affiliate about people in the village EATING... OUT.... OF .... DUMPSTERS and my friend and I laughed so hard

eating out of dumpsters is really gross though? you and your friend are mean.

tpaine posted:

discipline posted:

I lived in another country so I know what a kilometer AND a kilogram is

you come from a place where kilometer signs were routinely peppered with shotguns when they tried to put them up here so this is actually pretty impressive

lol

zor?
[account deactivated]
they didn't mention that on NPR today, just interviewed some woman waiting to fill up her SUV in jersey, along with stories about some anti-Obama movie made by a right wing crank and a 20 minute interview with Taylor Swift

it's hilarious that NPR is apparently like some byword for culture and intelligence in America hahaha
[account deactivated]
taylor swift's new album is really good

tpaine posted:

*iwc laughs at the homespun wisdom and quirky anecdotes in prairie home companion as his 4-wheel vehicle tears through the outback*

Nah all things considered is bad enough I literally can’t stomach that garrison Keilor shit at all.

Speaking of driving around laughing though next you see a fire truck with it’s sirens blazing, hurtling down the road, have a close look inside the cabin and they’re nearly always laughing their heads off, it’s weird

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

fringus why

it's good wholesome pop music?

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

taylor swift's new album is really good

AGREED