all of this misses the point that the suburbs didn't happen because anybody specifically wanted them to. the shape of the world isn't an aggregate of people's true desires or anything, let's set that fiction aside

Impper posted:

i don't either. i've never been around a crowd i liked, now that i think of it. even the soaring feeling you get occasionally is fleeting and nonsensical, animal-and-fear based at best

Yeah when you're cramming into a train carriage in the morning peak you're not generally thinking "oh wow this urban vibrancy is so enriching"

how about when you're sitting in a traffic jam on your hour long commute. swings and roundabouts eh

littlegreenpills posted:

yeah i know right. and the way he completely missed the point of "the gulf war did not take place". doesn't stop the sokal hoax being a genuine embarrassment mind

social text wasn't peer-reviewed so no not really. there are plenty of valid ideological objections to postmodernism but 'its all made up obscurantist nonsense by people who are just faking it' isnt one of them

i dont think anyones really arguing against suburbs because cities are ViBrAnT and ExCiTiNg, cities are shit, but suburbs are really, really shit. you can want a nice quiet domestic life all you want but the only just answer to such anaesthetic solipsism is No
the suburbs are dead in every sense of the word. i guess i'm ready to die thou
peer-reviewed or not, "it's difficult terminology that only the experienced and correctly-educated can understand" is a pretty difficult proposition to square with "some guy who wasn't experienced and didn't have a remotely correct education managed to produce something that passed without comments by the eyes of people who, although they probably weren't making an effort to assess it at the very least read it from beginning to end without noticing any howlers". it's worrying to say the least
actually the editors suggested a whole fuckin bunch of revisions and sokal refused and threatened to pull out if they didnt publish it unaltered. Next
if your highest goal is comfort and seclusion you should be pulled from your home by a mob and made to watch as it burns
lol the problem is that they "suggested revisions" rather than asking "what do you call this bullshit, fuck off"

littlegreenpills posted:

all of this misses the point that the suburbs didn't happen because anybody specifically wanted them to. the shape of the world isn't an aggregate of people's true desires or anything, let's set that fiction aside

No but they did evidently strike a chord with people who want privacy and isolation. It isn't just a race thing: suburbia happens in countries without the white-flight dynamic too.

littlegreenpills posted:

how about when you're sitting in a traffic jam on your hour long commute. swings and roundabouts eh

You have more space, you always have a seat, you can adjust the temperature.

What a silly comparison.

deadken posted:

if your highest goal is comfort and seclusion you should be pulled from your home by a mob and made to watch as it burns

That's why they move to the suburbs because they're safe from such totalitarian megalomania....the adult equivalent for summer camp leaders who get upset and angsty when kids who are different don't want to join in their lowest-common-denominator games

you're in there for a lot longer. a lot, lot, longer. what's the longest you've ever had to ride butt to loin with people, seatless, on the train, on a regular basis. In my case, it's two hours one way. It was when I was I was living in the suburbs

littlegreenpills posted:

you're in there for a lot longer. a lot, lot, longer. what's the longest you've ever had to ride butt to loin with people, seatless, on the train, on a regular basis. In my case, it's two hours one way. It was when I was I was living in the suburbs

Nope,

A lot also depends on whether a person drives or takes public transportation. The Department of Transportation found that, in 2009, commutes by private car took, on average, 23 minutes. Public transportation, by contrast, took an average of 53 minutes. You could read that as an argument that more people should drive so that their commutes are shorter or as an argument that we need to bolster public transportation

New York and Washington, with some of the highest public transport representation, have the longest commute times in the US

fascinating discussion.
Is xenophobia sometimes justified? Tonight, a really boring australian makes the case.

Impper posted:

i don't either. i've never been around a crowd i liked, now that i think of it. even the soaring feeling you get occasionally is fleeting and nonsensical, animal-and-fear based at best

i want to go to euro Soccer games in the hopes of being in an EU riot

me too brother. me too

AmericanNazbro posted:

Impper posted:

i want to go to euro Soccer games in the hopes of being in an EU riot

Balkan scum carry out their own mini soccer riots here in Sydney, it’s pretty ungrateful if you ask me

Soccer sucks

AmericanNazbro posted:

Is xenophobia sometimes justified? Tonight, a really boring australian makes the case.

“is xenophobia sometimes justified”

Lol unless you’re some EU Brussels trot liberal scum of course it is.

brussel sprouts are really underrated. the thing is, you gotta get them fresh, and you gotta let 'em cure with a little frost before you pick them, but oh boy if you do? DELISH!!!!
[account deactivated]
the main reason why taking the bus sucks as a woman or otherwise isn't because the driver will pull off into a cul-de-sac and signal for darkened brutes to assault you but because it's uncomfortable to sit for a half-hour while drunk teenagers yell "penis" and a homeless person sits beside you and sorts garbage on your lap and shit.
[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

the main reason why taking the bus sucks as a woman or otherwise isn't because the driver will pull off into a cul-de-sac and signal for darkened brutes to assault you but because it's uncomfortable to sit for a half-hour while drunk teenagers yell "penis" and a homeless person sits beside you and sorts garbage on your lap and shit.

ya public interaction is a really high stress ordeal 99% of the time for me at lest

[account deactivated]

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

getfiscal posted:

ya public interaction is a really high stress ordeal 99% of the time for me at lest

whats offsetting about public transit is that there is absolutely none of this and instead it's a weird little bubble you step into where people try their hardest to pretend no one else on the bus/train exists. it's a uniquely dehumanizing experience and if you attempt to talk to someone, or even make eye contact you are viewed as mentally ill for the faux pas. public transit are little tin cans, where the people are packed in like sardines and then marinate, brooding in misery and despair.

lol public transit. get a car losers. tint. end of story

deadken posted:

on the other hand, if youre so entitled that you get to choose where to live based on existential/philosophical self-zoning laws instead of rent prices and commuting distance, same

AmericanNazbro posted:

whats offsetting about public transit is that there is absolutely none of this and instead it's a weird little bubble you step into where people try their hardest to pretend no one else on the bus/train exists. it's a uniquely dehumanizing experience and if you attempt to talk to someone, or even make eye contact you are viewed as mentally ill for the faux pas. public transit are little tin cans, where the people are packed in like sardines and then marinate, brooding in misery and despair.

i believe youve been misinformed. public transit is actually a great way to meet new people, engage with your community, become exposed to various cultures and unidentifiable substances, and form lasting relationships that will enrich you for the rest of your life. unlike the suburbs, where people never talk to their neighbors and have the audacity to live in separate buildings with yards large enough to house a small dog without violating multiple animal rights laws

you could say a bus is a cultural melting pot

AmericanNazbro posted:

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

getfiscal posted:

depends on the neighborhood really. public transit can be quite a social experience!

[account deactivated]
one critical detail about suburbia that seems to have been overlooked: our parents live there. check and mate.

stegosaurus posted:

this. buy a bad ass car on credit, buy a sweet ass suit... minimum paul smith quality, buy some massive aviators, drive around like a boss. drifting... always be drifting so people know you mean business. squeal your tires at every opportunity. bumping... always keep the music bumping and gunplay's latest hit on repeat. give people the finger every they cut you off. the american driving experience is exceptional

ggw posted:

stegosaurus posted:

this. buy a bad ass car on credit, buy a sweet ass suit... minimum paul smith quality, buy some massive aviators, drive around like a boss. drifting... always be drifting so people know you mean business. squeal your tires at every opportunity. bumping... always keep the music bumping and gunplay's latest hit on repeat. give people the finger every they cut you off. the american driving experience is exceptional

aGreed

p much everyone in lf has read Debt by Graeber by now. it's pretty obvious there's going to be a debt jubilee within the next 10 years or so. my advice is to get as much stuff on credit, maybe steal a bunch of college loan money, and wait for the revolution.
lol there's never gonna be a debt jubilee when the total amount of debt in the world outstrips the total amount of value 300 times over