http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21024336

Can a family survive for a year buying only British-made goods? That's the challenge the Bradshaws from Kent have given themselves for 2013.

Angry at the failure of big corporations like Amazon and Starbucks to pay full rates of corporation tax James, Emily and their two-year-old son Lucan have decided to support British-owned firms and workers in troubled economic times.

"As soon as I heard about Amazon I decided I wasn't going to buy my Christmas presents from them," says Emily.

"It all snowballed from there. The rules are actually fairly simple," she says, "it has to be a British company and the items must be manufactured in Britain and that's pretty much it."

A trip to the local high street in Westerham shows just how tricky their year could be.

Most of the items in a household goods shop are made in China. The labelling in a clothes shop is unclear.

Much of the fruit in the supermarket is imported from overseas. But the Bradshaws remain undaunted.

"For the first time I can remember it's OK to be proud to be British," says James.

--------

If the Bradshaws cannot find something they are looking for they will either go without or find an alternative.

They have tried nasturtium seeds as an alternative to black pepper corns - although James says it tastes like "old man's trousers."

Deciding exactly how British a company is or not is not easy.

--------

Mobile phones are worrying James. He cannot find a British maker and will need a new one this year.

But he has already made his own valve radio and is convinced there will be enough British-made component parts for him to make his own mobile phone.

"If it's possible to source the raw ingredients for a mobile phone - and I am not talking anything to rival Apple - I'll certainly have a good bash," he says.

just think, if we all hunker down and buy local global capitalism won't stand a chance next to the equally dreadful autarkic kind. hopefully they'll stick at it and end up living in a pigskin tent on acorns and herrings

[account deactivated]
lmao
i give em a month before they resort to cannibalism
what counts as "goods", like any commodities? if so i assume they won't be drinking any tea
gee i don't know iwc

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

what counts as "goods", like any commodities? if so i assume they won't be drinking any tea

Like every thing British it will be semi apathetic arrogant nonsense and its sincerity won't extend past a broken picture of the past and a fantasy national cliche.

The worst bit its that this will really speak to some people who associate supporting the local petit bourgeois the forefront of not only radical politics but also the essential step in becoming a truly next post capitalism human ready for a green planet.

posted that twice some how
I dunno, I get the feeling that the can-do, make-do and mend British of Trafalgar and the battle of Britain will shine through in the end, the glorious sunlit uplands aren’t far away, I can feel them in my bones
A wealthy dowager spends her days running her wrinkled fingers over the faded sepia photographs of the past, a grandfather clock ticking away reliably in the corner of her dressing room. The pearls around her neck are as bright as ever but there are cracks in the walls and the radiator gives off a noise that never quite stops. Her library is grand and imposing and yet her memory is slipping and she leaves plates of food lying around where crumbs and morsels of chewy lamb start to rot, nibbled at occasionally by a band of rats living in the walls, even their tiny footsteps echoing in the grand silence of the house. Growing weary of staring out the window, she calls her driver to take her by limosuine to her favourite promenade down at the seaside and when it arrives she is genuinely thankful to the young Caribbean man who helps her aboard, not noticing that the vehicle is in fact a small community van populated by other elderly men and women. Upon disembarking, the driver looks genuinely sorrowful as he explains hesitantly that due to cuts by the government this would be the last time this service would available. She is saddened that she will not see Jerome again but in wartime everyone has to make sacrifices, and besides; Harold would be home from the front any day now, and he would teach her to drive just like he had promised her.

At the seaside the weather is dark and grey but she finds it ‘bracing’ and it invigorates her, renews her. She sits down on a bench that is broken but still usable, and she stares out at the sea for hours, the wind lashing in her face and sharp nettles of rain pricking her brittle skin. She could not be happier as she grows sodden, thinking of that trip to Calais with Harold when the channel grew so rough they thought they would die, she was so young. The light starts to fade and the promenade lights up with neon as the air grows thick with the sounds of David Guetta. Out of place, out of time, but she feels no anger, or sadness as she rises from the bench unsteadily, her joints having begun a process of atrophication during her stay there. Stumbling unsteadily down the cracked and moss-strewn concrete stairs, she crosses the pebbles and rocks of the beach and grows happier with every passing step, Thunder booms from the impenetrable air above her head and the rain grows heavier and thicker. By the time she reaches the waterline she is in a state of elation and as she pushes on further and sinks beneath the cold waves of the North Atlantic she is a state of rapturous ecstasy.

The sun shines and the grass grows, flowers bloom and birds sing
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9804632/Tesco-beef-burgers-found-to-contain-29-horse-meat.html
In Tesco Everyday Value Beef Burgers, horse meat accounted for approximately 29 per cent of the meat. The supermarket announced last night that it was removing all fresh and frozen burgers from sale immediately regardless if they had been found to contain horse meat.

Tim Smith, the group technical director of Tesco, said: “The presence of illegal meat in our products is extremely serious. Our customers have the right to expect that food they buy is produced to the highest standards.”

An investigation was carried out by the Food Safety Authority of Ireland. The Food Standards Agency, working with the Irish authorities, established that mainland Britain was part of the area affected.

More than a third (37 per cent) of the products tested in Ireland contained horse DNA, while the vast majority (85 per cent) also contained pig DNA.
horse meat is better for you than beef though tbf
i've been eating more 'roo instead of beef
meat owns
i will eat chicken or turkey once in a while but people who eat meat every day disgust me. and anyone who eats red meat at all, really.
it is: terrible for you. a waste of your money. bad for planet. bad for big animals. bad for workers, the classic Fast food nation book, you all know it, its main focus remember, is on working conditions in slaughterhouses and meat packeries and butcherariums and so forth. bad for your complexion. Bad for doggies who choke on meat bits or have to digest a wax paper with pork slime. Its even bad as a menu item because it makes people overreliant on savory flavor, so they are unable to find non-meat dishes very appetizing. Thanks for reading my post, and liking it.
it's terrible for you? steroids and horror aside, i mean. it's terrible for you even if it's organic grain fed happy free range cow from your own yard or whatever?

swampman posted:

it is: terrible for you. a waste of your money. bad for planet. bad for big animals. bad for workers, the classic Fast food nation book, you all know it, its main focus remember, is on working conditions in slaughterhouses and meat packeries and butcherariums and so forth. bad for your complexion. Bad for doggies who choke on meat bits or have to digest a wax paper with pork slime. Its even bad as a menu item because it makes people overreliant on savory flavor, so they are unable to find non-meat dishes very appetizing. Thanks for reading my post, and liking it.

meat owns

like anything, when eaten in moderation it's probably fine. but for red meat that means maybe one serving a week. even so there is always a nutritionally better choice

DildoMalone posted:

meat owns

So deos sex... but not if you have to rape ppl to get it!

drwhat posted:

it's terrible for you? steroids and horror aside, i mean. it's terrible for you even if it's organic grain fed happy free range cow from your own yard or whatever?

you don't absorb steroids or other hormones from eating meat lol

meat isn't bad for you, fish is extremely healthy. the health concerns are toxins and bacteria that can end up in any meat product due to poor processing or mishandling of the meat. buying decent cuts of meat and cooking it will remedy the majority of health concerns.

meat is murder
you have more empathy for livestock than women goatstein

AmericanNazbro posted:

meat isn't bad for you, fish is extremely healthy. the health concerns are toxins and bacteria that can end up in any meat product due to poor processing or mishandling of the meat. buying decent cuts of meat and cooking it will remedy the majority of health concerns.

Red meat specifically is bad for you is what i meant. And here the other thing, the majority of ways people eat the meat, hmm, UNhealthy!! FRYING!! BUTTER AND SALT!! PORTION TO BIG!!!! WAKE UP USA!!!!!!!!!

swampman posted:

like anything, when eaten in moderation it's probably fine. but for red meat that means maybe one serving a week. even so there is always a nutritionally better choice

there is nothing intrinsically unhealthy about red meat except high saturated fat content which is specific to certain types of red meats.

the entirety of modern western diet is unhealthy so it's really a moot point. a can of pringles, or a coke is more unhealthy than a serving of meat.

Well yes, but i would never advocate drinking a coke either. Beef and pork are simply unnecessary, they shouldn't be a part of anyone's diet. They shouldn't be eaten, period, and we might consider the pork and beef industries as luxuries to be sacrificed in the name of curbing environmental destruction... etc..

AmericanNazbro posted:

you have more empathy for livestock than women goatstein

livestock suffer more than women

actually beef tastes good and you should eat things that taste good and make you happy because only eating optimal inputs beep boop is silly.

Goethestein posted:

meat is murder

that fact, and also, this song

Edited by ilmdge ()

[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

actually beef tastes good and you should eat things that taste good and make you happy because only eating optimal inputs beep boop is silly.

it has nothing to do with optimal inputs you spud. its about behaving ethically.

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

yeah, ethically according to your retarded faggot code of ethics maybe.

jesus christ was retarded too yknow

the mcrib is meat check and mate your move game set and match
ethics lol. no thanks i'm gonna die and nothing's gonna happen.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
sigh i know.
The ethnical thing to do is to eat one serving of goodly-processed red meat like once a week, or once a month, For your ethnical duty is to b ein peak physical shape So you may serve The People