[account deactivated]
you are eenvesting een beetcoin, yase?

/comically exaggerated slavic accent
this forum has been getting more reactionary lately beause so many 'zoners are becoming very wealthy from their bitcoin investments
we should be contributing these windfall profits to the RLF but instead i have it on good authority that fringurs has been buying large amounts of leather
tpaine has started buying budwesier black crown as per his own post yesterday
[account deactivated]
impper became a homeowner now, and a nazi. this bitcoin wealth is tearing our community a part. i wonder if there are any zoners who wont be corrputed by their bitcoin riches
Mama mia! i come to home land for a few days, and i become bit coin oligarch. Take my wife P L E A S E
the skinney pale guy in IT with the ron paul bumpersticker came into work today + kciked me off my chair. he says HE owns the company nowand theres gonna be some changes around here? then he gave ME a wedgie?? does anyone kno whats happening?????
the future
H A H A H A H A H A H A H A

http://blog.nyaruka.com/bitcoins-bottom-billion-why-the-developing-world-may-be-bitcoins-biggest-customers
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-10/bitcoin-tumbles-25-hours SELL SELL SELLL
If the market for bitcoins is completely evaporating, and bitcoins are about to become just another weird little historical footnote, wouldn't that make now the perfect time to buy bitcoins?
Confederate bond notes were traded until WWI.
YEs. YEs. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-10/bitcrash-continues-down-40-and-dumping
someone stay on the phone with fignurs tongiht and make sure he doesnt do anything rash

DeleuzerAndRetardi posted:

Agnus_Dei posted:

Those who were defending bitcoin against widespread internet mockery must feel pretty vindicated about now

you made this post three months too early joel

one month, my bad

what a charming lad
reminder that if you started a modest bitcoin rig near the start of the craze you are now a millionaire. i just made that up.

getfiscal posted:

reminder that if you started a modest bitcoin rig near the start of the craze you are now a millionaire. i just made that up.

yeah, that's not true at all. the profits are in the speculation, as always, and the laborers get nothing. for example, about two years ago my facebook friend's bitcoin rigs were only harvesting a single coin per week. there have been some difficulty increases since then. even let's say after 100 weeks he has 100 bit coins. well, please keep in mind that bitcoins averaged only about $10/coin during this two year period. that means he would have made $1000 over roughly 2 years, hardly enough to offset his high electrical costs. his place also got really hot and it was really hard to live & sleep even with an extra AC unit during the summer. and while he is sweating in the bitcoin mines, making next to nothing, the speculators running the show were raking money in.

the bitcoin bubble in spring/summer 2011 saw prices balloon from close to $1 to over $30, raking in untold profits for virtual currency manipulators. shortly after prices crashed back under $5 and the bitcoin miners were busted. prices only started poking back above $10 recently. they were up to $20 in february before exploding to the mid $100s recently. today, the bitcoin roared to a high of $266 and then collapsed back to only $100, another massive boom for speculators that once again leaves the bitcoin workers holding the bag. i've explored the idea of a miner's union but got no responses or very negative responses to all my proddings. ironically, the very people being exploited, the proletarian miners, have rather individualistic and libertarian perspectives on these issues. the bitcoin miner is left to warm his hands over his rigs in the winter to save on heating costs, and is stuck dehydrating food for the hard times ahead.

then maybe the lowly bitcoin miner shouldnt have taken a job mining bitcoins

ggw posted:

sweety

swampman posted:

then maybe the lowly bitcoin miner shouldnt have taken a job mining bitcoins

hahaha the privilege in this post. bitcoin miners dont even have the luxury of holding their bitcoins waiting for the market to rise. everytime they unearth a bitcoin they needto sell that shit for rent. and now you're sayin "bootstraps" or some shit

I imagine that explaining your “mining union” to someone who was on the picket lines in Thatcherite England would be a bit like the part in Zoolander where he goes back to his hometown and tries to work with his dad.
the worst part is the fail aids. all these old bitcoin miners stricken with it, broken bodies shuffling around like zombies, their senses of self worth destroyed. at least in the old days, back in twenty aught ten, nobody really knew about getting the fail aids from bitcoin rigs. nowadays we do and nothing is being done for the humble bitcoin miners, stuck doing what their daddy did cause its all theyve ever known, unable to move onto something else, like gold farming or selling crafts on etsy

TG posted:

the worst part is the fail aids. all these old bitcoin miners stricken with it, broken bodies shuffling around like zombies, their senses of self worth destroyed. at least in the old days, back in twenty aught ten, nobody really knew about getting the fail aids from bitcoin rigs. nowadays we do and nothing is being done for the humble bitcoin miners, stuck doing what their daddy did cause its all theyve ever known, unable to move onto something else, like gold farming or selling crafts on etsy

whats a coin
Did they lose all their money yet.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-10/bitcoin-drama-continues-after-hours

prikryl posted:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-10/bitcoin-drama-continues-after-hours

Submitted by Tyler Durden on 04/10/2013 19:54 -0400

my friend was wondering if anyone could point him in hte direction of a bitcoin-friendly sex dispensery ? For science haha. cheers
TOKYO - JAPAN - April 11, 2013

Hi everyone, just a quick update on the situation and what happened last night.

First of all we would like to reassure you but no we were not last night victim of a DDoS but instead victim of our own success!

Indeed the rather astonishing amount of new account opened in the last few days added to the existing one plus the number of trade made a huge impact on the overall system that started to lag. As expected in such situation people started to panic, started to sell Bitcoin in mass (Panic Sale) resulting in an increase of trade that ultimately froze the trade engine!

To give you an idea of how impressive things were here are some numbers that we would love to share with you guys:
- The number of trades executed tripled in the last 24hrs.
- The number of new account opened went from 60k for March alone to 75k new account created for the first few days of April! We now have roughly 20,000 new accounts created each day.

Due to these facts we have been busy working on improving things since last week and our team has been working around the clock to improve Mt.Gox to catch up with the demand. We will continue to release several updates today and in the coming few days to improve our system overall performance.

Also please note that we may have to close the exchange for two hours in the next 12 to 24hrs to add several new servers to our system.

Thank you for your understanding and continuous support!

Regards
Mt.Gox Co. Ltd Team.

cant wait til mtgox replaces the fed
Cant wait until bitcoins replace gold
cant wait til death replaces life
isnt bitcoin just a darpa initiative to create a more tech nerd palatable equivalent to the gold standard that functions in essentially the same way to eliminate the prospect of democratic control over monetary policy whilst at the same time being even more advantageous than gold insofar as the NSA can more easily manipulate it

gyrofry posted:

isnt bitcoin just a darpa initiative to create a more tech nerd palatable equivalent to the gold standard that functions in essentially the same way to eliminate the prospect of democratic control over monetary policy whilst at the same time being even more advantageous than gold insofar as the NSA can more easily manipulate it

You betcha!

magic the gathering online exchange

Trading is halted until 2013-04-12 02:00am UTC to allow the market to cooldown following the drop in price. Read more details on the support. Additionally trading fees will not be charged within 48 hours of trading resuming (until 2013-04-14 02:00am UTC).

so they suspend trading when there is a large drop in price in order to "cool down" investors (like any other market tends to do) which seems to speak against the whole rock-solid value of the bitcoin as an alternative to other currencies.