lol
tard·ing {tahr-ding} :
verb
1. the act of posting on tHE r H i z z o n E; i.e. : "because you touch yourself at night"
2. saying failaids is both funny and acceptable.
3. any act of transphobia
4. taking steampunk wedding pictures
my first wife was tarded. shes a pilot now

getfiscal posted:

Trading is halted until 2013-04-12 02:00am UTC to allow the market to cooldown following the drop in price. Read more details on the support. Additionally trading fees will not be charged within 48 hours of trading resuming (until 2013-04-14 02:00am UTC).

so they suspend trading when there is a large drop in price in order to "cool down" investors (like any other market tends to do) which seems to speak against the whole rock-solid value of the bitcoin as an alternative to other currencies.

yeah its unbelievable how easily they slip into the exact same patterns

This is horribly reminiscent of the Fukushima disaster, thankfully not in human cost, but in highlighting the management disconnect and incompetence in Japanese companies. I'm pretty sure the guys who managed the infrastructure knew there were significant problems but japanese employees are not exactly encouraged to say anything that might cause any loss of face to their managers. It couldn't have come at a worse time for bitcoins when the public spotlight was turned directly on it. It was bitcoins' chance to shine and the results are awful. If it was just a successful DDOS hack attack and temporary downtime, then the public would have understood. Instead if it was indeed the result of totally inadequate capacity and security planning - i.e. fundamental mismanagement - then the management team should be publicly outed. The reputational damage to BTC is irreparable. I hope I'm wrong.

stegosaurus posted:

yeah its really funny, it's a perfect example of a completely insane nerd solution to a really simple problem. to even get to silkroad you use a special browser that hides all your traffic, to make a purchase you use an anonymous currency, to communicate the address you want the drugs shipped to you use a page long pgp key and a throwaway email, and then, you have illegal substances shipped either directly to the place where you live or to a place where you will be standing around waiting for them in a really obviously shady way, lmao. the alternative to all this is asking someone you know is not a cop to tell you where they got their drugs and then going to the dudes house or something.

the lengths white ppl will go to to avoid having to talk to a single black guy...

This is more like the old LF I used to lurk: A bunch of progressives making fun of the libertarians they used to be six months ago.
someone buy me a fedora, i am so going to buy bitcoin after it drops to $10

Jack_Balls_McDinkface posted:

This is more like the old LF I used to lurk: A bunch of progressives making fun of the libertarians they used to be six months ago.

I'm not progressing shit except my alcoholism

stegosaurus posted:

getfiscal posted:
Trading is halted until 2013-04-12 02:00am UTC to allow the market to cooldown following the drop in price. Read more details on the support. Additionally trading fees will not be charged within 48 hours of trading resuming (until 2013-04-14 02:00am UTC).
so they suspend trading when there is a large drop in price in order to "cool down" investors (like any other market tends to do) which seems to speak against the whole rock-solid value of the bitcoin as an alternative to other currencies.
yeah its unbelievable how easily they slip into the exact same patterns

they have zero sense of irony about their arguments and rationales being all perfectly applicable to regular ol cash as well, it's just a bunch of completely blind goons

on the bright side, bitcoins seem infinitely convertible into 24k comedy gold

http://news.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=3658143&cid=43471647 Are Forbes' Billions Tied Up In Bitcoins?

swampman posted:

http://news.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=3658143&cid=43471647Are Forbes' Billions Tied Up In Bitcoins?

Lol

Libertarians are all about not expanding the money supply. The hilarious part is that there are not enough bitcoins in circulation for the US population to own even one bitcoin, and bitcoin mining is mathematically capped at 30 million units.

DildoMalone posted:

magic the gathering online exchange

the site once dominated the trade of bizarrely coveted virtual merchandise. its sole purpose was to whip nerds into a frenzy and empty their wallets.

how much things have changed

mustang19 posted:

Libertarians are all about not expanding the money supply. The hilarious part is that there are not enough bitcoins in circulation for the US population to own even one bitcoin, and bitcoin mining is mathematically capped at 30 million units.

thats cool because the artificial limit of the supply pool will inevitably cause the prices to generally continue upward even if growth in demand remains only modest. in theory, the increasing prices will further fuel demand, eventually reeling in people looking to make an easy buck even if they dont fetishize pseudo-futuristic cyber-currency.

teh ultimate pyramid scheme

i prefer linden dollars, zyngabux, or any other virtual currency that's more easily laundered.

mustang19 posted:

yeah but unlike a dollar or a dubloon you can trade miniscule fractions of bitcoins so it doesn't really matter if not everyone can own one?

just my .000000000000002 bitcoins

VoxNihili posted:

mustang19 posted:

thats cool because the artificial limit of the supply pool will inevitably cause the prices to generally continue upward even if growth in demand remains only modest. in theory, the increasing prices will further fuel demand, eventually reeling in people looking to make an easy buck even if they dont fetishize pseudo-futuristic cyber-currency.

That hyperdeflationary speculative bubble is a pretty good reason to invest in Bitcoin now. However they'll probably get arrested running naked in the streets on K before that point.

VoxNihili posted:

mustang19 posted:

In other words you guys are saying invest in bitcoins
e: NOW

Edited by ilmdge ()

In your case it would probably be better to invest in posting lessons.
even if bit coins go to 1,000 dollars theres nothing you can buy with them except drugs on one website, sort of.
i think you can buy money with them
[account deactivated]
given that we live in a world where hsbc openly launders cartel money on the reg and doesnt get punished the value of a crypto-currency's laundering function isnt all that much, imo
yeah but if you're not a bank, laundering is harder.
here s me again
i was pretty into bitcoin until stephen colbert mocked it on his show last week. now it sounds like some sort of pyramid scheme. just say no to bitcoin
I am invested in bitcoin now.
take the bitcoin challenge. invest $1,000 in bitcoin in 60 seconds.
“hey buddy can you spare a bitcoin? I need a byte to eat”

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

“hey buddy can you spare a bitcoin? I need a byte to eat”

for 1 grand youd better at least pick up some pants while youre at it

Why haven't any terrorist activities been funded by bitcoin yet? Will I be first?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78314.20

Al Qaeda don't need bitcoin they already have a hawalla system which works much better for them, or they can bribe any bank employee in egypt or pakistan to transfer money for them. Judging by their recently exposed COMSEC, I doubt any of them would bother to use it since they don't even pgp encrypt their emails to each other.

explosions reported in Bitcoin

mustang19 posted:

Why haven't any terrorist activities been funded by bitcoin yet? Will I be first?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78314.20

Al Qaeda don't need bitcoin they already have a hawalla system which works much better for them, or they can bribe any bank employee in egypt or pakistan to transfer money for them. Judging by their recently exposed COMSEC, I doubt any of them would bother to use it since they don't even pgp encrypt their emails to each other.

invest in hawalla NOW

canada's tax agency said that bitcoins are taxable

getfiscal posted:

canada's tax agency said that bitcoins are taxable

haha. good.

i did a tax training thing once and the educator/manager guy told us that all sorts of drug dealers and prostitutes come in to use discount tax services and they were like it's not our business to get them in trouble, just make sure they claim everything, so imagine how actual real criminals get treated by accounting firms lol.