[account deactivated]
do you know any hebrew, roseweird? how about yiddish?
khamsek in palestine was busta rhymes' "arab money" played on a constant loop or only during daytime
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

no, i would like to learn it along with greek and latin for biblical and classical studies but i haven't yet. i don't know any yiddish and never really thought about learning it tbh

i'm a christian so i would learn those things on a long enough lifespan too.

has anyone here learned farsi? ive heard its cool, and easy
keep up the good work discipline!
has anyone here learned english? anyone? sigh
I wouldnt live in Palöestine, becasue i live with my mother, who does not live in Palestine
shalom. ani shel ken, ani m'daber ivrit mucho goodo, merci beaucoup

hey posted:

discipline posted:

lmao where did you even go, ataret? har homa? lmao

lmao indeed.
I didn't realize there were so many checkpoints within Palestine.

hahaha youd understand the situation in palestine better from watching fuckin children of men than drawing on your own experience. My god

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

VoxNihili posted:

has anyone here learned farsi? ive heard its cool, and easy

i have. its the most common spoken dialect of the Ionric tribesmen of the Phacetian Peninsula, which i plan on visiting next year. btw the correct English transliteration is actually "farcey", common foreigner mistake tho

discipline posted:

see it's hard for me to know what you're saying with that map. because, on one hand, it's a lot of checkpoints. on the other it's totally less than there were in 2007. however, what this map is missing is flying checkpoints, those are given when two army jeeps stop on a road and make people get out of they cars and stand in line. there are hundreds of these counted per month. here is some information on how movement is restricted in the west bank http://www.btselem.org/freedom_of_movement/checkpoints_and_forbidden_roads

Also I Did about 10 thousand words on it for grad school

it's pretty wild how you went relatively unimpeded tho. I'd like to talk to you more about that, maybe get where your origin and destinations were. roads if you remember them? you can look at google maps it's not hard, there aren't so many major roads in the west bank and I doubt you ventured out into the villages (or did you??) serious questions comrade! where did you rent your car - in jerusalem? where?

We rented a car in Tel Aviv and only stayed in Israel for four days so we didn't see much.
At the start of our trip we went down along the Gaza Strip border and it was some of the craziest shit I've ever seen. The best way we could simply describe it was that it was a gigantic prison. massive walls, barbed wire, sniper towers, tanks, jeeps, drones, choppers, surveillance balloons. Pure insanity. We even got an up close look at the iron dome stuff. There was an semi-abandoned guard tower that we found which had some equipment in it. They left it all unlocked and there was no security around so we got to check it all out. crazy stuff. We all knew it was bad at the Gaza Strip, but once you see it up close, you get a whole new perspective.
Anyways, this was all contrasting with our experience in the West Bank. We had one day to check out the Old City, the West Bank and the Dead Sea. The #1 and the #90 is what we took to get into the west bank I imagine. I can't remember too much, I was always drunk. we made a couple detours, rode some camels, took some pictures, but we obviously didn't venture to far into what I imagine as the heart of the West Bank. I think we went through like 5 checkpoints. All of which pretty much had no queue. They barely asked us questions if any. Twice we would just ask them questions before they could say anything. They were always really young and would get really flustered and just let us go haha.
That's why I was wondering why it was so difficult for you. My experience was completely different. but its now obvious why that was the case. By the looks of it we weren't going anywhere Israelis would give a shit about. Just small towns and stuff. And we were driving a rental car with Israel plates. I had no idea there was such different levels of security within the West Bank.

wow its almost as if theres like, two different classes of people there, with two entirely separate systems of rights and privileges, like the people are somehow "tied" "apart" , if you will. crazy stuff....wild, crazy stuff
FUCK, maybe these Israelis arent the democratically-inclusive humanist chillbros lf had convinced me they were all these years.....
i dont want to learn countryfried palestinian arabic, i want to learn, like, white arabic, know what i mean? like whatever lawrence spoke to faisal. what arabic is that

im thinking of hitting up tel aviv (with a couple days in j-town) later this year, how hard do you think it would be for me to pass myself off as a birthrighter with all the special privs that entails

Superabound posted:

wow its almost as if theres like, two different classes of people there, with two entirely separate systems of rights and privileges, like the people are somehow "tied" "apart" , if you will. crazy stuff....wild, crazy stuff

I just was surprised that they weren't suspicious of foreigners at all.

roseweird posted:

no, i would like to learn it along with greek and latin for biblical and classical studies but i haven't yet. i don't know any yiddish and never really thought about learning it tbh

I'm not sure what a Busta Rhyme's song has to do with biblical and classical studies but to each his own rosewired.

hey posted:

Superabound posted:

I just was surprised that they weren't suspicious of foreigners at all.

*German CEO of Arizona megaprison corporation is warmly greeted by Sheriff Joe Arpaio* *CEO turns to aide* "Woah whats up with this, i thought this guy was supposed to hate foreigners or some scheiße??"

[account deactivated]

cleanhands posted:

i dont want to learn countryfried palestinian arabic, i want to learn, like, white arabic, know what i mean? like whatever lawrence spoke to faisal. what arabic is that

probably egyptian? from what i've heard? i thought that was the standard white dude arabic

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
im already boycotting israel by not going there and by bravely developing a theory of jewish privilege. meanwhile khamsek buys a plane ticket to Ariel Sharon International Airport and drops a bunch of fat american dollars at the falafel stand run by woody allen in a fake beard.

discipline posted:

cleanhands posted:

im thinking of hitting up tel aviv (with a couple days in j-town) later this year

don't be disgusting scum of the earth please. I'm not talking about birthright students who are suckered into going as part of a multi-billion dollar experience culturally foisted machine. I'm talking about the goy englishman who buys into their tourism propaganda. it's called BOYCOTT divestment sanctions for a reason

i think we can agree that the occupation probably isnt being paid for by nightclubs, hostels, and jaffa oranges. without wanting to go full bhpn i think boycotting israeli products to hit apartheid where it hurts is a liberal solution to an imperial problem

but dont get me wrong i just wanted to see the old city before I die, everyone knows you go to beirut to party

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
I do actually boycott israeli food but like, yeah, I guess you're right. Aw gee, shucks, etc. I'd satisfy my tourist urge by going to istanbul just as well so guess I'll do that.

(bds movement more like gbs movement!!!)
[account deactivated]
Where I live there is much less contention over Palestine. I've known one employed person who identifies their heritage and where there family lives as Palestine, with no repercussions as far as I can tell when it comes to employment or social interaction. Is it areas where the ADL has more pull? Every job I've applied for has taken foreign experience as a positive, regardless of where you were. It may be that my area of the country considers knowledge beyond TV shows to be a bonus. Interestingly enough, despite the tone of national politics, even those who have immigrated from Pakistan/Iran can obtain gainful employment provided they have a university education. The biggest issue with Islamophobia here is that it's been woven in with old school racism resulting in distrust of the East African population (lower economic status combined with wearing scary muslim clothes and being black).

Sadly, I imagine both New York and Florida would be areas where Palestine raises many more concerns.

discipline posted:

reminder we live in a world where I am sometimes blacklisted for having lived in palestine. please do not be an asshole

what jobs did you get rejected for living n palestine

[account deactivated]
i really like to eat israeli foods

AmericanNazbro posted:

what jobs did you get rejected for living n palestine