Yasha Levine on Russophobia in 2017 and 2008... pretty good imo.
dems must have been so lucky that greenwald was skeptical of the russia conspiracy after they flailed around completely assmad looking for some purchase to criticize him for 8 years
i was posting about the dumb "putin is destroying healthcare because he wants to kill as many americans as possible" thing everybody's laughing about and kind of went down a rabbit hole. my first instinct was to make the salient point that if I were putin and i wanted to kill as many americans as possible i would fire my thousands of nuclear weapons. but then i was reading some tankie say that a main reason there was no nuclear war between the USSR and US was because the guidance systems weren't good enough to hit their targets. (i was also reading a person who denies that nuclear bombs exist, which is apparently also a thing.) but gps, that shit you have in your pocket, can find your location within 10 feet. do you know how big just one nuclear detonation is? you can miss your target by 1000 feet and it still works. off by a mile and you'll still fuck them up incredibly. maybe that isn't true for hardened underground bunkers but it sure as shit is for any metro area. no, i realized that the reason there was not a war was that the conflict between communism and capitalism was too grand, too meaningful, to be the thing that ended civilization. such a thing could never be our end. for us the reason had to be trivial, localized, petty, completely avoidable. near its end we worried about nuclear war from the USSR starting as the last gasp of a dying, desperate, corrupt party, but it was us all along

Edited by le_nelson_mandela_face ()

he could just let yall keep the planet's worst healthcare system too , that seems to kill a shitload of people

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

i was posting about the dumb "putin is destroying healthcare because he wants to kill as many americans as possible" thing everybody's laughing about and kind of went down a rabbit hole. my first instinct was to make the salient point that if I were putin and i wanted to kill as many americans as possible i would fire my thousands of nuclear weapons. but then i was reading some tankie say that a main reason there was no nuclear war between the USSR and US was because the guidance systems weren't good enough to reach their targets. (i was also reading a person who denies that nuclear bombs exist, which is apparently also a thing.) but gps, that shit you have in your pocket, can find your location within 10 feet. do you know how big just one nuclear detonation is? you can miss your target by 1000 feet and it still works. off by a mile and you'll still fuck them up incredibly. maybe that isn't true for hardened underground bunkers but it sure as shit is for any metro area. no, i realized that the reason there was not a war was that the conflict between communism and capitalism was too grand, too meaningful, to be the thing that ended civilization. such a thing could never be our end. for us the reason had to be trivial, localized, petty, completely avoidable. near its end we worried about nuclear war from the USSR starting as the last gasp of a dying, desperate, corrupt party, but it was us all along

on this note i randomly read this on twitter and wept

http://thebulletin.org/how-us-nuclear-force-modernization-undermining-strategic-stability-burst-height-compensating-super10578

a person who denies that nuclear bombs exist, which is apparently also a thing

somebody is actively maintaining a tripod page in 2017 for this purpose and its a riot

Google - "how to start an a-bomb explosion?" - and you get no answers at all! Reason is that there is no way to make an a-bomb explode.

holy shit

Google how do I marry my wife... zero results. Wives are a lie.
Holy shit he's right.

About 0 results (1.02 seconds)
trump was......right??

Are you impressed that Trump has a basic awareness of their surroundings or somethin
I'm impressed he's more aware of his surroundings than most Dems are tbh. Still have people talking about this Benghaziesque thing while not seeing the chickenhawks gleeming in the background.
i just found out that newt gingrich was an adult convert to catholicism
man in a dress: *unintelligible nonsense*
me: extremely plausible
wait, who's newt gingrich?
i should thank my grandmother for being a tradcath who took me to latin mass because if i could understand a word and wasn't sitting on wood-veneered adamantium there's a chance i might have not been an atheist before puberty

i should thank my grandmother for being a tradcath who took me to latin mass because if i could understand a word and wasn't sitting on wood-veneered adamantium there's a chance i might have not been an atheist before puberty

whoa i didnt know that about you, ill add you to catholic crew

hooray our healthcare is still garbage but not garbage covered in poison
its fake but w/e
im so catholic that i was an altar boy at a church where the monsignor had sex abuse accusations against him
comprehensive list of legitimate reasons to convert to a religion

1. to marry someone
2. to not be killed
did you convert to steampunk

tears posted:

There's an indelible creepy type that fits to conservative Catholic convert opportunists, Bobby Jindal's another, they think it'll wipe away tawdry pasts of infidelity or uncomfortable ethnicity by birth and allow them to make moralist appeals in presidential runs, but because the people who work with them on conversion do so enthusiastically, the converts don't realize they're both painfully out of touch in their political strategy and likely to be viewed by most members of their religion with suspicion immediately. They're like this guy with a blog I used to read who was raised in some mainstream Protestant sect in the United States and talked someone into helping him convert to Skverer Hasidism and moved to Israel and then started his blog, which was about his plan to make Israel the center of worldwide polygamist revivalism. He'd never gotten married of course.

^ like goatstein could say this out loud into a microphone on national television and more Catholics in the U.S. would vote for him for president than would probably vote for newt gingrich, they'd be like "Hell yes definitely one of us"

lol, you got something good/funny for me to read on the subject? please thankyou
i suggest my many posts where i just repeat the same thing i said a year ago in a slightly different way. i don't know any catholic authors who have focused on that because it's not really cricket in the religion to mention that a lot of Catholics assume converts are weirdos.
medieval cosplay man: "in faecibus exturbandis opitulatur, ut taurus"
guy: hey this seems like my scene
congregation: *is skeptical for some reason*
ok thanks, ive learnt alot about the catholic church from your posts... mostly that they're creepy nazis
id say a lot of bishops are creepy Nazis while the Church is a body mostly made up of people in third world countries who see the current world order as racist Satanic fascism, while the Catholics in other countries tend to break down evenly along political lines in a way that's more thoroughly distributed along axes of accepted/unaccepted discourse on politics than even the general populations of those countries demonstrate in polls and elections, but sure that's good enough shorthand for that. i mean there's a reason Francis is so popular among Catholics worldwide and it's not just his speeches and bulls, it has a lot to do with how he purposely sets himself against the bishops in countries where they hold considerable political power, against groups like the Knights of Malta who think they're the real Vatican and have been permitted to act like it for years, and so on.
yah, i am of course being hyperbolic, im sure most catholics are nice people, but its all an alien world to me though, i don;t think ive ever met anyone irl who has told me they're a catholic.

i do ahve all these creepy evangelical relatives though...had to sit through a wedding where my cousin pledged to obey her husband and do everything he said :S
like most people in britain my knowledge of the catholic church comes mostly from reading The DaVinci Code and watching anime

tears posted:

like most people in britain my knowledge of the catholic church comes mostly from reading The DaVinci Code and watching anime

hellsing bay-bee

New Evangelicals are still weird to me... I don't completely understand why those political opportunists I mentioned don't just convert to one of those sects, at least in the U.S. or in many places in Europe (though in Jindal's case I get it because he thought he could apply as a general rule to U.S. Catholics the reactions of Louisianans, people from a place that's so much on another planet from other Catholic population centers in the United States that it calls its counties "parishes"). I think that's maybe because there's a pop culture history of assuming that loud-mouthed Southern Baptists and so on are hypocrites, while even considering public knowledge that the bishops shuffle rapist clerics around to help each other, Catholicism can still baffle conservative voters who only know about it from Bill Donohue on TV and thriller novels where those voters identify with the villains and the like. Probably also for people like Gingrich it's their own class biases at work since the supposed intricacy of Catholic doctrine seems more sophisticated and metropolitan to educated outsiders.

But yeah I tend to urge people on the left to realize that even if they just want to see Catholics at large as prey for their own opportunism, they should probably understand that Catholics as a global group of laypersons and even parish priests both are a pretty crucial slice demographically speaking and tend to be more sympathetic to the left than the right in the current moment, with the current Pope's master trolls again as good evidence... among other endearing qualities we'll happily go to our graves covered in wounds from people we thought were our own side, we have a lot of precedent for that and we're crazy enough to think we'll get rewarded for it after the fact, so I hope we prove useful. Personally I think we'll just prove indispensable in a lasting way to advancing those politics in this fallen world but whatever.
to be fair most catholics nowadays don't attend services in latin, rather they're done in the local language. it merely took them one thousand years to make this change
we even have our own telescopes now, it's lit.
i dont remember ever being molested, but considering how much time i spent as an altar boy and then in the church choir, i cant imagine it didnt happen at some point and i probably just repressed it

edit: i was also a cub/boy scout for 10 years