http://www.doctortipster.com/6952-dutch-researcher-created-a-super-influenza-virus-with-the-potential-to-kill-millions.html

A Dutch researcher has created a virus with the potential to kill half of the planet’s population. Now, researchers and experts in bioterrorism debate whether it is a good idea to publish the virus creation ”recipe”. However, several voices argue that such research should have not happened in the first place.

Avian influenza emerged in Asia about 10 years ago. Since then there were fewer than 600 infection cases reported in humans. On the other hand, Fouchier’s genetically modified strain is extremely contagious and dangerous, killing about 50% of infected patients. The former strain did not represent a global threat, as transmission from human to human is rare. Or, at least, it was before Fouchier genetically modified it.

After 10 generations, the virus has mutated allowing it to spread through air. The result was that ferrets could get sick just being near another infected animal.

On the other hand, if the study becomes available for the scientific community, it could allow researchers to ”be prepared” for a potential H5N1 pandemic. Since Fouchier’s study suggests that the risk for this to occur is greater than previously thought. Some researchers believe that banning the paper will leave mankind helpless if the virus naturally mutates and becomes contagious.

I'm not even sure where to begin here. First, there is a legitimate concern with being prepared for contingencies, in case the avian flu mutates into something like this on its own. However, there are also the obvious concerns: whether or not this is the first time this has happened, have secret military labs been manufacturing these sorts of viruses? what sort of preventative measures are taken so that this lab virus doesn't spread, or isn't manufactured?

here's a more in-depth article about it: http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2011/11/scientists-brace-for-media-storm.html
"Scientists Brace for Media Storm Around Controversial Flu Studies" sounds like an understatement

This isn't the only one that was manufactured by the way:

The other study—also on H5N1, and with comparable results—was done by a team led by virologist Yoshihiro Kawaoka at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, and the University of Tokyo, several scientists told ScienceInsider. (Kawaoka did not respond to interview requests.) Both studies have been submitted for publication, and both are currently under review by the U.S. National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity (NSABB), which on a few previous occasions has been asked by scientists or journals to review papers that caused worries.

"I can't think of another pathogenic organism that is as scary as this one," adds Keim, who has worked on anthrax for many years. "I don't think anthrax is scary at all compared to this."

heaven help us

I have either flu or food poisoning right now and im doing my best tubgirl impression
[account deactivated]
just thinking about this and how badly i would die because i do not prepare for anything
that sounds p cool

o mama

Improvements, however, are to be made in light of the emergence of the
next influenza pandemic. Heightened readiness is needed on a global scale:
-
Global monitoring of human and animal influenza must be improved
to evaluate the spread of existing influenza viruses and to detect the
appearance of new virus strains.
-
Such improved monitoring relies on effective surveillance that covers
the current white spots on the world map.
-
Current pre-pandemic vaccines must be tested for effectiveness
against the emerging mutant influenza virus strains.
-
Investments in studies on the evolution of influenza viruses in humans
and animals must be increased to better understand the evolution of
influenza viruses.
Therefore, the Fourth ESWI Influenza Conference urges national and
international authorities, academia and pharmaceutical industry to forge
strong and effective collaborations to improve pandemic preparedness
worldwide.

Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Main article: Bayer 04 Leverkusen

In 1904, the company founded the sports club TuS 04 ("Turn- und Spielverein der Farbenfabriken vorm. Friedr. Bayer & Co."), later SV Bayer 04 ("Sportvereinigung Bayer 04 Leverkusen"), finally becoming TSV Bayer 04 Leverkusen ("Turn- und Sportverein") in 1984, generally, however, known simply as Bayer 04 Leverkusen. The club is best known for its football team, but has been involved in many other sports, including athletics, fencing, team handball, volleyball, boxing, and basketball. TSV Bayer 04 Leverkusen is one of the largest sports clubs in Germany. The company also supports similar clubs at other company sites, including Dormagen (particularly handball), Wuppertal (particularly volleyball), and Krefeld-Uerdingen (featuring another former Bundesliga football club, SC Bayer 05 Uerdingen, now KFC Uerdingen 05).

Due to cost factors, though, the company has decided to cut back its sponsorship of its top sports teams in most areas. The sponsoring agreements with first and second-division teams in basketball, team handball, and volleyball, as well as in olympic-level athletics and fencing, will be terminated in 2008 or 2010. Despite their many successes (multiple German national championships, as well as numerous Olympic medals), they are not considered to be valuable enough as a marketing tool in terms of their cost-to-benefit ratio. Only the very "telegenic" football team, whose marketing value is very high due the exposure in the media and the popularity of the sport itself, will continue to be supported as in the past. General sponsoring of sport for youth and for handicapped people will also be continued as in the past.
[account deactivated]
the panel at the World Health Organization that declared swine flu to be a real fucking scary thing we should all shit ourselves about was made up of execs from roche (who make tamiflu) and GSK (who make the less well known but functionally the same relenza)
I'm all for it - I think this strain virus should be released on the human population.
Please oh lord can we engineer this strain to only target white people?
I have to disagree with this strategy. The black and brown people of the world don't need some kkkracker jew scientists help doing what they are more than capable of on their own through the power of maoism third worldism.

discipline posted:
I think next they should create a virus that causes us to hunger for our own flesh and bite + eat ourselves and then bleed out, and it can kill everyone it infects, because we never know maybe something like that could emerge from the dark continent! always be prepared I say! uh let's manufacture 9k nukes because soviet russia has 8900 while we're at it. what, you mean now we have a way to kill half of every human on earth (this is actually probably higher in reality because not everyone gets hospitals) ??? Please don't vote for my brother for president!!! this is how he thinks we're to solve problems like hunger and global warming

sounds like he's a realist

i have been 50% in love with easeful Death
good, good; I was worried about a scenario where ~80% of humans are still alive after first long wave of falling agricultural supply, and then proceed to fuck up the world with nukes or something, but if organic alternatives are available we might be able to finish ourselves off without making a mess that the other life forms can't clean up afterward
please convert your nuclear and chemical arsenals to biodegradable, earth-friendly mass murder alternatives
there wouldn't be any military use for a highly contagious airborne virus since its spread can't be controlled

potushead posted:
i have been 50% in love with easeful Death

Lessons posted:
there wouldn't be any military use for a highly contagious airborne virus since its spread can't be controlled

ya nobody capable of producing this strain would ever actually release it

tpaine posted:
someone please unleash this on us

Shut The Fuck Up.

DRUXXX posted:
I'm all for it - I think this strain virus should be released on the human population.

Shut The Fuck Up.

BehemothTheKatte posted:
Please oh lord can we engineer this strain to only target white people?

Shut The Fuck Up.

Hahaha I love the masochistic attitude towards genocide, knowing fullwell that something like this would wreak havoc on the most vulnerable, and leave the elite relatively untouched. Awe Inspiring White Fantasies.. this will solve the way people are starved to death because I don't know at all why people starve to death!

Lessons posted:

just because it wouldn't be deployed doesn't mean it wouldn't be manufactured? What's your point? Its still an extremely bad thing to come up with, why would our unequally-structured world make you think that it couldn't be used? What are you, joshua holland?

Lessons posted:

game theoretical deterrent rigged to a doomsday device

if you could either a) die or b) live a very boring and ascetic life in order to make the world a better place for the weakest and most vulnerable would you do it

littlegreenpills posted:
if you could either a) die or b) live a very boring and ascetic life in order to make the world a better place for the weakest and most vulnerable would you do it

somehow I don't think truly helping the weakest and most vulnerable would be boring or won't result in your death

if you were only permitted to eat one (1) variety of currently available subway sub sandwich from subway for the remainder of your natural lifespan which sub would you choose?
I'm so bored of shooting dirty kuffar mate. I miss eating bacon meatship.
This experiment was tested on humans, right?

DRUXXX posted:
This experiment was tested on humans, right?

Ferrets, who respond to the flu very similarly to humans. Makes you think. makes you sweat. Youre a ferret mate

maybe its just me but this:

"These studies are very important," says biodefense and flu expert Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. The researchers "have the full support of the influenza community," Osterholm says, because there are potential benefits for public health. For instance, the results show that those downplaying the risks of an H5N1 pandemic should think again, he says.

sounds like a threat. these flu researchers take job security seriously
a BORED ferret. where the white ferret girls at

ohhh shit well having seen the above ^ then i reiterate my support for the release of this virus

mistersix posted:
"These studies are very important," says biodefense and flu expert Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. The researchers "have the full support of the influenza community," Osterholm says, because there are potential benefits for public health. For instance, the results show that those downplaying the risks of an H5N1 pandemic should think again, he says.

sounds like a threat. these flu researchers take job security seriously

lol reregging 2 upvote this post multiple times

Lessons posted:

probably mostly true but two thoughts arise
1, is the military (the chaining of the warmachine to the Nation) the only user of concern
2, might a user of concern believe there to be ways to control the disease other than through controlling its spread

DRUXXX posted:

ohhh shit well having seen the above ^ then i reiterate my support for the release of this virus

yeah they would probably survive, thanks

DRUXXX posted:

im that ferret with the green leprechaun outfit

Lessons posted:

neither can the drug trade but hey

Crow posted:
]just because it wouldn't be deployed doesn't mean it wouldn't be manufactured?

it seems unlikely the military would manufacture an unusable weapon, though i suppose it's possible. if they did, it's more idiotic than sinister.

Its still an extremely bad thing to come up with, why would our unequally-structured world make you think that it couldn't be used?

because SARS, a similar illness with a similar fatality rate, originated in China but quickly spread to Canada and possibly the United States. inequality does not stop the spread of communicable disease.

What are you, joshua holland?

no idea who that is

the military makes stupid shit all the time because its an inefficient profit driven industry