I've gotten into an argument with someone in Debate and Discussion (because I am a masochist apparently) and was hoping to get some advice. The thread is about France banning protests by Muslims in order to protect freedom of speech for a "leftist" "subversive" magazine.

Naturally internet atheists are using is as an opportunity to paint all muslims as terrorists who hate freedom of speech. The thread has also gotten into that youtube video. My point has been that the Muslims who are protesting, the videos and the cartoons aren't what they are upset about, it is the feeling of powerlessness that comes from being a victim of imperialism while being expected to feel grateful. Also most Muslims are not protesting, most Muslims are going to work and going to school, though they may be personally offended by it.

And that the magazine is hardly leftist or subversive by directing hate speech against a minority in France who continues to be the target of race baiting legislation, discrimination, hate crimes and marginalization. That the magazine also ha cartoons about the pope is irrelevant because Islamophobia is often mired in racism.

I think I have been rolling with the punches but naturally as a distraction, they bring up that Mohammed had a 9 year old wife. I've seen this before. I'm ashamed to say I've brought it up before being a liberal atheist. How do I respond to it. I thought of bringing up that the bible is filled with examples of kings and prophets doing similar things, including incest but I would rather ask someone who is smarter than me about the issue as to what point I can bring up to counter it.
[account deactivated]
what difference does it make that he had a nine year old wife.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
enlighten them that freedom of speech (and all freedoms) are the root of evil, and man should ideally be subjugated before God's will.
a quote from GBS, answering the question of whether to argue with people in D&D

George Bernard Shaw posted:

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

I think ima wrestle a baconator
tell them he didnt fuck her until she was 12
what does the age of aisha have to do with the message
islam is basically arab mormonism, pay it no heed.
tell them that on Ripley's Believe it or Not they proved that Jesus is a mtf and all jews are gay. And the only reason the prophet married that 9 year old is because all the jews teamed up with scandanavian pagans and killed all the women on the earth except that 9 year old who manage to got away. Then the prophet married her and give birth to a bazillion women restoring humanity. You gotta break a few eggs too make an omelette you know

shennong posted:

what does the age of aisha have to do with the message

Remind them so did noted left idol & civil disobeyer mohandas karamchand gandhi
if youre arguing with an frenchmen all you gotta do is smack down on the table and yell "J'accuse!"
well there's this http://vimeo.com/21703179

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/22/femen-topless-warriors-global-feminism
Outside, on the streets of Goutte d'Or, the three tall, beautiful women cut an incongruous path through the veiled and headscarf-wearing women of the large local Muslim community, weaving their pushchairs through the roadworks. Femen's "Better naked than the burqa" campaign has made few inroads here.

"The decision to bring the fight to France and open a training centre was a French initiative, an invitation from French feminists who sent us a message saying they needed us," said Inna.

"Before then we thought of France as a first world and already feminist country that didn't really need us. Since arriving, I have met many Frenchwomen and they say they need to start the fight again. We are bringing a new face, new blood, a new fight to feminism."
what is this, make stupid threads about islam week?
are you the same fire from wddp and somethingawful?
[account deactivated]
A song of iceburn and rjfire

libelous_slander posted:

A song of iceburn and rjfire

"muhammed was a gross pedophile, the quran is a pedophile's book!"
*is a fan of asoiaf in which a 13 year old girl is raped in an arranged marriage and learns to love it*

MadMedico posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/22/femen-topless-warriors-global-feminism
Outside, on the streets of Goutte d'Or, the three tall, beautiful women cut an incongruous path through the veiled and headscarf-wearing women of the large local Muslim community, weaving their pushchairs through the roadworks. Femen's "Better naked than the burqa" campaign has made few inroads here.

"The decision to bring the fight to France and open a training centre was a French initiative, an invitation from French feminists who sent us a message saying they needed us," said Inna.

"Before then we thought of France as a first world and already feminist country that didn't really need us. Since arriving, I have met many Frenchwomen and they say they need to start the fight again. We are bringing a new face, new blood, a new fight to feminism."

Please do not post Tity. I just got fired

here's a good islamic scholar's thing about it:

http://www.defending-islam.com/page184.html

http://mac.abc.se/~onesr/d/aam2_e.pdf
i usually pm the offending party with a request to be jerkoff buddies so we can just cut to the heart of the matter. no gay stuff just looking 2 blow a load or 2 on the dl.
wife age is just like, a social construct, you know?
Bunch of ageists up in here
i think there's a few things at work with this thing

first you need to understand that marrying girls at whatever age was common in semitic societies at the time. this isn't to make the relativist argument that muhammad wasn't doing anything deviant for his time (although this is true), but that when you condemn muhammad for this, you are condemning ancient society in general. i think there's a basically racist / orientalist subtext in that rhetoric, that of the static eastern world whose customs are deplorable, unchanging and unkind.

also, in singling out muhammad, they're making it out to be a deviant behavior in the context of our own society, by virtue of the fact that for us adulthood is not derived from physiological facts as it is in islam and premodern societies, but from the notion of consent. we have a multitude of basically arbitrary age thresholds that one crosses post-puberty that affirm "adolescence". there was no such thing as adolescence until modern bourgeois society and its disciplinary mode. people were children, then their body matured, and they were then adults, with the mental and emotional maturity of an adult. physiologically and mentally, aisha was an adult by her own reckoning, by muhammad's reckoning, by the community's reckoning and according to the shari'a, by God's reckoning as well. muhammad isn't alive now, but i don't think he would marry a modern nine year old girl. modern (i.e. west-socialized) muslims don't do it, and no one thinks to take from his example that marrying underage girls is ethical behavior.

also needs to be understood that the age of the marriage, age of cohabitation, and age of consumation are different and what's really the concern is the latter.

PS i don't mean to undermine the value of consent in regards to sexual relations. islam requires consent from both parties in marriage, and either partner has the right to refuse marriage, and also the right to marry, whoever they like. it's just not the basis for adulthood the way it is for us

Edited by babyfinland ()

Jesus probably married young fwiw.
Well, one thing I'd say, is don't argue in Dungeons and Dragons the forum. But some people like that. So, assuming you're Fire from Something Awful, I'd recommend you open by coming over to my home here in sunny Fairbanks Alaska so I can use my big, strong fists to pound your puny, sub human face into a bloody paste for the crime of your last 10 years of posting. If you aren't Fire pls disregard.
Yep I clicked on that thread, and fire's posting in it. So basically, I'd recommend you stop posting forever and re-evaluate what you enjoy and why you enjoy it, in hopes you become someone who isn't terrible 1 day. Thanks and drive safe.

discipline posted:

why do people care so much about islam. do they realize they only care about it because the hateful authorities want them to hate on it

daddy im fucking a colored?

was that the joke you were already making i cant tell,
i do think it's perfectly natural for people to object to premodern social structures regarding sexuality since they are socialized according to different ones, but the real point is why muhammad in particular as the symbol of premodernity, and why such vitriol. that muhammad married someone of physiological and mental maturity according to his own community's standards turns into child rape in their discourse indicates the intensity with which they desire that imperial power intervene, to prevent a rape and provide the civilized, modern mode of social organization

Edited by babyfinland ()

What a pathetic post. The whole point of the civil rights movement is that individuals should be judged by their individual character. Freely chosen beliefs are exactly that. Violent acts are exactly that.

discipline posted:

why do people care so much about islam. do they realize they only care about it because the hateful authorities want them to hate on it

authorities don't want us to hate it. hatred of islam is a proletarian belief, like racism in general, while the 'authorities' are often blacks like obama telling us to love each other. the real hegemonic belief in america is "why can't we all just get along."

getfiscal posted:

discipline posted:

authorities don't want us to hate it. hatred of islam is a proletarian belief, like racism in general, while the 'authorities' are often blacks like obama telling us to love each other. the real hegemonic belief in america is "why can't we all just get along."

babyfinland posted:

i do think it's perfectly natural for people to object to premodern social structures regarding sexuality since they are socialized according to different ones, but the real point is why muhammad in particular as the symbol of premodernity, and why such vitriol. that muhammad married someone of physiological and mental maturity according to his own community's standards turns into child rape in their discourse indicates the intensity with which they desire that imperial power intervene, to prevent a rape and provide the civilized, modern mode of social organization

Nine year olds, dude.

maybe it is a test of faith for us. like hey 21st century humans, want an eternity of happiness on the path of righteousness? sure. but you gotta read a book i recited to a pedo. in fact you should probably live just like this pedo dude did. what's that, you don't want to? 9 year olds? welp guess you like hell more then.... owned by allah
Mohammad marrying Aisha was basically like Abraham murdering Isaac... on a weird creepy dare from God except God forgot to tell him to stop at the last second