I can understand your position though, I think this was a productive and fair dialogue in which both sides came out with a better understanding

getfiscal posted:

i learned about chinese children from devendra banhart

where'd he get all those chinese kids? was there a sale at costco?

babyhueypnewton posted:

I can understand your position though, I think this was a productive and fair dialogue in which both sides came out with a better understanding

Yes But Also http://wheelweb.net/darudeairhornreggaeton.mp3

partiality is actually a big debate in moral theory and it's probably not really as straightforward as some duty to treat people equally, even if you believe in things like duty. i don't care about duty all that much though. or, increasingly, moral theory.

My last name is also Lanza. I've disappointingly received the amount of comedic mileage I expected.
caring or feeling bad about something doesn't do any quantifiable good whatsoever. morality is that which materially advances the cause of humanity. you can do that without caring about anything or anyone or ever having shed a tear in your life and it wouldn't make a bit of difference
straight from the autists mouth
bhpn how does your caring about dead kids in china actually help anyone. are you going to send care waves into the quantum vagina of the universe to manifest them back to life by the power of sympathetic magic or whatever
[account deactivated]

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

straight from the autists mouth

psychopathy isnt autism d00d

[account deactivated]

babyhueypnewton posted:

yeah im not like monkeysmashesheaven and post THEY WERE AMERIKKKAN IMPERIALISTS whenever anything bad happens in the USA, however this is the rhizzone where saying fail aids is acceptable and funny, if I cant rant about the implicit racism and 1st world chauvinism here I cant do it anywhere

Freedom isnt free

if classrooms have second exit this not happen
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

deadken posted:

Good isn't quantifiable by the number of categorical imperatives we take, but the number of categorical imperatives that take our objectivism away.

[account deactivated]

babyhueypnewton posted:

I assume plenty of those who died were children

yeah but the kids in CT were more identifiable to my upbringing and values; communities all throughout the world place more value on the experiences of "people like them" than people who seem unfathomable or remote, this isn't some fundamental hypocrisy you've uncovered.

babyhueypnewton posted:

Crow posted:
this is a case of selective outrage in relation to what? when is outrage ever nonselective? do i really need to list all the ways in which outrage is selective?

for example, there was a similar incident in China the exact same day that I didn't even know about until this thread because the media and americans who are in tears about this incident didn't deem it worth of the front page, even as a comparison. there has been no mention of the continuing rise in the death toll in the Philippines, and when I tried to find out how many children had died, I discovered that no one had reported it, including English language news in the Philippines.

of course outrage is selective, in fact it is usually selective based on conscious or subconscious feelings about race. that no one cries when a bunch of children starve to death in Africa is selective, in that it is based on racist assumptions that death means less in Africa. how many school shootings have we had that don't get reported because it happened at a black majority school or the kids were poor?

i'm not accusing discipline of anything, just that these kind of thoughts are forbidden in any kind of forum except this one, because questioning someone's personal feelings in relation to larger issues of race, imperialism, and bias is a good way to get banned/defriended

But what is your point? That's people feel more empathetic to those whose lives roughly resemble their own? This isn't really a scoop

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

babyhueypnewton posted:

I assume plenty of those who died were children

yeah but the kids in CT were more identifiable to my upbringing and values; communities all throughout the world place more value on the experiences of "people like them" than people who seem unfathomable or remote, this isn't some fundamental hypocrisy you've uncovered.

thanks for saying what i already said but stupider. the point is to discover what these words mean, unless you define your words this is a trivial and pointless statement.

well there's not that much Matrix to delve into here, if the kids in Luzon were whiter and more connecticutty they'd probably get some sympathy too

Crow posted:

babyhueypnewton posted:

Yes But Also http://wheelweb.net/darudeairhornreggaeton.mp3

oh god i've been looking for this since they took it off youtube.

[account deactivated]
bhpn is totally right, except in reverse, there's no good reason to get wienery about those kids in conneticut and there's no reason to get wienery about 900 whatevers who died in someplace.
oh no somewhere on the earth an indeterminate number of primates died that i have never and would have never met, spoken to, seen, or cared about. what a great reason to break down crying
death * (youth + proximity) ÷ race = tragedy
comedy = tragedy + time
comedy = (death * (youth + proximity) / race) + time
time = too soon
civilized societies are the most violent

school shootings are news

Goethestein posted:

oh no somewhere on the earth an indeterminate number of primates died that i have never and would have never met, spoken to, seen, or cared about. what a great reason to break down crying

a dead whale, even one that dies of natural causes, gets more media attention here than a murder victim

swirlsofhistory posted:

a dead whale, even one that dies of natural causes, gets more media attention here than a murder victim

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

im not still over adam yauch, how can i be expected to care about these kids?

Rip adam….

HE traced the MIC back to-the-WALL!
No wonder it was never plugged in-at-ALL

[account deactivated]
i agree w/ goatstein. caring about people is stupid, i personally am a communist bc im a sociopath, but a lazy one and i want my lot in life to be better but without me having to work a lot or even exert the minimal effort necessary use my advantages as an upper middle class white man in the first world and become rich
The left certainly doesn’t have a monopoly on compassion
Not true
Since everyone else is discussing morality can I just say this: It strikes me as ridiculous to pretend we “care” about these kids or their deaths in any real sense.

Does this make me sociopathic? I don’t think so, mass shootings are just a seasonal media event like the Superbowl or the Macy’s thanksgiving parade and the idea that you should feel morally compelled to “care” or feel sad about these particular 20 deaths on a day when thousands of people died does strike me as over-egging the empathy pudding.