yeah, the context to me is always more interesting than a lot of the music/makes the music more interesting. this is probably why you and i like things like go-go and bounce, because they're insular cultures that are not well documented but have incredibly rich vocabularies/histories/customs/traditions/smoking rituals

i have to agree with you about gucci and dro, their word play is incredible even if it is just comparisons between clothes/cars/women and colors/foods. certain rappers, like fat pat, z-ro, rittz, young dro, do a great job of finding a niche where they can have that freedom
Honestly I really didn't like Young Dro when he was first coming up but now I love his shit. I'm not sure what made the switch, but I went from being like wow this dude has retarded lyrics to realizing how awesome his whole thing is.
I'm sure him dropping a mixtape like every other week doesn't hurt. Some of his mixtapes are incredible (EQUESTRIAN DRO) and others are hit and miss, but goddamn, he is prolific.
i was talking to some dude in the publix parking lot today and after asking me for money he started asking me if i liked future and if i smoked weed. i ended that conv p quick

shermanstick posted:
yeah, the context to me is always more interesting than a lot of the music/makes the music more interesting. this is probably why you and i like things like go-go and bounce, because they're insular cultures that are not well documented but have incredibly rich vocabularies/histories/customs/traditions/smoking rituals

i mean that's what's fantastic about this shit, i'm on the other side of the world but in terms of outsider status we still probably both have a similar degree of disconnect from something like go-go. all these self contained infrastructures and cultures of such creativity are a wonder to explore

speaking of that, and young dro, even tho it's ostensibly a book of photography, michael schmelling's atlanta book is actually probably the best example of an academic exploration of this kindof hyperlocal street music i've ever seen, even tho it's primarily communicated visually (theres a lot of great writing in there too tho) so pick that up you guys

have you ever watched dirty states of america? http://www.amazon.com/Lyricist-Lounge-Dirty-States-America/dp/B00022PZ4W
this is an absolutely amazing documentary on southern rap and they interview a ton of those hyper local guys. tampa had a p interesting rap scene that at one point was more vibrant than anywhere else in florida and they sort of touch on that. i definitely rec it to anyone who likes southern rap
oh dude that looks awesome, why haven't i heard of that before, i need to hunt it down somewhere
if you have trouble finding it, let me know. it was on netflix for like 2-3 years, but i can probably track down a copy.
i just went ahead and bought it through amazon. it was $4 shipped, so i kind of had to
you should get this too http://www.amazon.com/Freak-Nik-VHS/dp/B00004T398/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334339420&sr=8-3
Freaknik was a rite of passage in ATL
this is my 420th post, here are some screw jams to honour the occasion

r.i.p.
chapter 14 and chapter 16 for life

GLUE SNIFF BOYZ

GLUE SNIFF BOYZ
in full effect.

parkin lot flexin.
damn
pigeons on the roof like ghost dog
damn

so what do y'all use to download shit nowadays

i'm obsessed w/ this right now
i pipe everything through googlereader, so i use blogs to keep up with what's new and most of the time they either post the link or someone in the comments section posts the link. just find a bunch of blogs, and tumblrs that post music you like and use some sort of aggregator to keep track of them. i also use a coupla private sites to get other stuff, but for hip-hop, blogs really are the ticket

if you're feeling KRIT, check out all of his other work. here's some other stuff you might like: get the new Boldy James mixtape, both of Rittz's albums, Young Roddy "Good Sense" (if you like curren$y), dizzy wright "smoke out conversations", anything that DJ Burn One has cosigned, Fat Trel "Back to the White House" (i liked it, a lot of people disliked it, whatev).

if you're a lil more specific about what you're feeling lately or what you like i can point you to some blogs and some albums
i think it's a good idea to check the frontpages of livemixtapes and datpiff every now and then too! also i have no idea what it's like nowadays but soulseek used to be the joint for old & obscure junk so look into that if you want

babyfinland posted:

I've been listening to this track at least couple times a week for about three months now its so good. great album

this thread is pretty good I've been avoiding it like the plague remembering the horrors of o.g. LF rap threads. gonna post some things that might not have been posted while im still working through it.

david banner before he went solo
glusniffcru runs any and all southern rap discussion but youre welcome to contribute

Edited by shermanstick ()

Edited by LandBeluga ()

shermanstick posted:

glusniffcru runs any and all southern rap discussion but youre welcome to contribute

all good im a east coast nerd at heart just what ive been on lately.

more tracks

hi guys I just discovered this cool intellectual/political rap group called "the coup"

they are really underground so be careful. i hear they have outsider political views like dead prez
people need to not post boring east coast rap (all of it) or political rap itt. i posted an intifada video a while ago for which i apologize

this is the new track by my old band and its badass. some of the first verse even has english stuff in it u guys can understand
http://soundcloud.com/cftraps/gian-mata-x-ergo
people should post whatever they please

no they shouldnt
actually, you're wrong, again