deadken posted:
i want to get into more southern hip hop b/c at the moment all i really know is grime + uk hip hop + 90s east coast shit + all the bay area rap my american friends listen to.... what are some cool dudes, compilation albums, w/e. ty

geto boys
ugk - ridin dirty
swisha house - choppin em up vol 10
lil wayne - dedication 2

blinkandwheeze showed us this earlier in the thread:

babyfinland posted:

deadken posted:
i want to get into more southern hip hop b/c at the moment all i really know is grime + uk hip hop + 90s east coast shit + all the bay area rap my american friends listen to.... what are some cool dudes, compilation albums, w/e. ty

geto boys
ugk - ridin dirty
swisha house - choppin em up vol 10
lil wayne - dedication 2

yea, of course, but also

outkast - southernplayalisticadillacmuzic, atliens, aquemini, stankonia
goodie mob - soul food (cant stress this enough ppl, along with ridin dirty strong contender for greatest of all time), still standing
ugk - dirty money, underground kingz (both kinda uneven but whatever still pretty essential)
scarface - the diary, the untouchable, the fix
odd squad - fadanuf fa erybody
devin the dude - the dude, just tryin ta live, waitin to inhale
guerilla maab - rise
z-ro - let the truth be told
trae - restless
wayne & birdman - like father like son
wayne - carter 2, drought is over 3
dungeon family - even in darkness
young jeezy - thug motivation 101, the recession
t.i. - trap muzik, king
d4l - down for life
gucci mane - writing on the wall
young dro - best thang smokin

& also singles comps from no limit & cash money records, and then just get everything from the rap-a-lot catalog then download a billion mixtapes from traps n trunks or whatever. peace

also every screw tape (accept no substitutes) but especially 3 in tha mornin pts one & two, ridin dirty c&s, all screwed up. but bay area stuff is cool too, if you arent listening to too $hort mac dre & e-40 constantly you're doing something fundamentally wrong with your life?

Edited by blinkandwheeze ()

tv screens flippin down all u hear is tick & pound

blinkandwheeze posted:
tv screens flippin down all u hear is tick & pound

that kendrick lamar is like the first new artist im excited about since like gucci mane (and stalley i guess)

i dont really keep up with stuffa nymore so thanks for that

oh also i forgot all of memphis rap for some reason
8ball & mjg - comin out hard, on the outside looking in, in our lifetime vol 1
three 6 mafia - mystic stylez, most known unknown, any 90s solo album you can find

and i don't really associate them with the south but they are technically so, lord willin', hell hath no fury & the first two we got it 4 cheap tapes by clipse

also like, everything brick squad but that's like a whole other really long post

i don't generally like purist/conservative/revivalist junk but freddie gibbs - midwestboxframecadillacmuzik & big krit - krit wuz here are two notable exceptions to that

gunplay has a swastika on his neck lol

B-O-G-O-T-A
gunplay has like, gucci circa 08-09's creativity & flocka's delivery / charisma, i.e. perfect rapper??
man fuck all that newfangled shit

blinkandwheeze posted:
also every screw tape (accept no substitutes) but especially 3 in tha mornin pts one & two, ridin dirty c&s, all screwed up

this. do this. especially if you're just getting into southern hip-hop, listening to screwtapes are a great way to broaden your horizons

screw owns
i downloaded ridin dirty + soul food, they are good
dj screw is also Good. it feels like v ketty music.... purp drank i guess

blinkandwheeze posted:

gunplay has like, gucci circa 08-09's creativity & flocka's delivery / charisma, i.e. perfect rapper??

man how did i miss this post. lol if any of these clowns are even in your top 10. ima be charitable and just assume you were in a coma for the last 30 years

dj screw makes me want to light up a fat blunt even though i dont smoke weed. mission accomplished i guess

shennong posted:

blinkandwheeze posted:

man how did i miss this post. lol if any of these clowns are even in your top 10. ima be charitable and just assume you were in a coma for the last 30 years

ima be charitable and *links you to songs everybody in the world should have memorized at age 15 as if they aren't embedded in every rap listeners subconscious, out of a reactionary fear of contemporary black culture*

88888 posted:

this. do this. especially if you're just getting into southern hip-hop, listening to screwtapes are a great way to broaden your horizons

this goes for all rap honestly, screw had an encyclopedic knowledge of the music and if you listen to enough of his stuff you're going to get a full grounded in every strand of southern rap / bay area mob shit / east coast 808 jams / l.a. thug rap. rip screw

blinkandwheeze posted:
out of a reactionary fear of contemporary black culture

lmao

if they were really embedded in your subconscious you wouldn't be listening to dudes w/ no flow and embarassing production tho lol

stop fighting!!! youre tearing this fam apart
i'm just clowning you buddy but the fuck you talking bout no flow lmao
ya i kno im just joshin. those guys technique honestly just doesnt do anything for me, when its just straight measured rapping to a 4/4 i tune out. ima use that reactionary fear line next time i disagree w/ someone about hip hop tho for sure lol

i have to admit ive come to appreciate gucci mane a little more recently, hes pretty good for a dude with severe traumatic brain injury

shennong posted:
for a dude with severe traumatic brain injury

you kno he's spent time in a mental health clinic right that's in such bad taste lol

whoah, i didn't know. i just assumed he was kind of punch drunk after i saw this, lol

on the real tho even if you don't fuck with how it sounds out of conservative aesthetic sensibilities, it's doing a real disservice to the culture to malign contemporary rap because of this, the strength of hip-hop is that it's a constantly mutating cultural logic that will always house the perspectives that are marginalized by everything else and i think because of this we have the responsibility to understand it on it's own terms ...

shennong get 'soul food' it's flawless & i think you'd like it

shennong posted:

whoah, i didn't know. i just assumed he was kind of punch drunk after i saw this, lol

i like that freestyle

blinkandwheeze posted:

on the real tho even if you don't fuck with how it sounds out of conservative aesthetic sensibilities, it's doing a real disservice to the culture to malign contemporary rap because of this, the strength of hip-hop is that it's a constantly mutating cultural logic that will always house the perspectives that are marginalized by everything else and i think because of this we have the responsibility to understand it on it's own terms ...

shennong get 'soul food' it's flawless & i think you'd like it

SICK

gucci mane fuckin, gucci, insane in the brain like Saddam Hussain

these haters they gone hate on you like anyway
so im gone put some rims on my shit anyway
anyway anyway anyway anyway anyway

(True) *kid laugh* http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/song_details/1071507