first you shine like sterling, now you broke like brick in berlin
blink what do you think of spaceghost purrp? i think he's pretty good but i have some reservations...

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
blink what do you think of spaceghost purrp? i think he's pretty good but i have some reservations...

spaceghost is the gospel and thats the only opinion you need

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
Bringing 11 cds for my drive from Austin to NYC:

The first cd is a mix, the other are as follows:

Choppin em up volume 1
Choppin em up volume 2
Choppin em up volume 3
Choppin em up volume 4
Choppin em up volume 5
Choppin em up volume 6
Choppin em up volume 7
Choppin em up volume 8
Choppin em up volume 9
Choppin em up volume 10

how was the drive?

i didnt drive i ended up flying
only pied niggaz hate
spaceghost sounds like he's rapping through a computer mic, but he does a good job faking the old 3 6 sound

lil ugly mane, g-mane, evil pimp, desmond curry and some others do a great 3 6 impression these days
yeah lil ugly mane rules.

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

first of all dude is a crazy talented producer. he has a real knack for atmosphere and i really fuck with the anachronism of his beats where its like lex luger snare shit but early 90s memphis cassette business ...

shit like this is dope where he's channeling memphis and trap and miami bass in this ghostly tape sludge is really ill

but dude is kinda a terrible mc. his shit on that pitchfork cypher is straight up embarrassing. but he his voice fits with his beats really well and i think with him its more about creating that sleazy faded atmosphere which he does pretty well even if he's spitting bullshit

at the same time tho, and i have reservations about asap mob in general cause of this even tho i fuck with them a lot, i think that cult nostalgia revivalism of these hyperlocal decade old scenes is kinda really shallow on some level and retreats into weird music nerd self indulgence. and that gets super embarrassing when all these hipster journos and shit are all over asap and spaceghost or whatever but have zero knowledge of the h-town and memphis shit those dudes are referencing. and meanwhile dudes actually up in memphis aren't getting any real attention unless they collaborating with buzzworthy kids. but like when your whole aesthetic is just really dedicatedly aping what was a really vibrant and creative scene sometimes im thinking like, why arent i just listening to some playa fly tape from 94 you know? its not really too different from insipid boombap east coast backpacker shit, just a more appealing sound

lil ugly mane and them can rap well and go into this really creative fucked up vibe that puts them in their own lane imo. like theres this track on the first ugly mane tape where hes spitting this like, insane kvlt gnostic shit ... "look into its eyes let it tell you all the secrets, 5 pieces, spiritual diseases, it freezes, human form is temporary, life is hell, playaz circle murder posse operate in other realms"

all these guys are pretty motherfuckers and dress really dope tho so they got that going for them

U THINK I GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THIS BODY, IM IN JAIL, ITS A CELL, IM IMPRISONED TO THIS HUMAN WORLD THE SOONER OUT THE BETTER, I WILL MURDER ERRYBODY U CAN KEEP THE CHEDDAR

i love this shit

these chicks jack the aesthetic pretty well

whitegirlmob
man blink do you remember the name of this houston dude who was like the reaper or something grimm or some shit and he was on some seriously fuckin ill siccmade type houston shit... ive been trying to remember for a while and cant

i think it was mid 90s but its been a while so i cant recall exactly
actually i think it was some Tony III type memphis shit now that I think of it
there was a mexican dude in south park coalition called grimm who had an album out in the mid 90s iirc, don't remember any reaper shit around him tho
MF GRIMM
no i think i'm confusing the guy im talking about with mf grimm and hence the grimm part or whatever.
maybe you're thinking of mista grimm "indo smoke"
man i think shennong is the only hphop thread poster here who doesnt fuck with h-town shit and this should be remedied immediately with a process of political reeducation
man i sold all my tapes for weed and beer money years ago but i used to have a bunch of shit i'd buy around town from swisha house that i'd pretty much trade an arm and a leg for now.
you guys should try and get a hold of youngest pit in the litter by big poyo btw, it's one of my favs ever and it gets overlooked a lot

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
man i sold all my tapes for weed and beer money years ago but i used to have a bunch of shit i'd buy around town from swisha house that i'd pretty much trade an arm and a leg for now.

that really sucks. i have a pretty decent collection of southern rap 12"s accumulated from years of digging thru dollar bins at record stores, itd be a dream going somewhere where this shit is actually easily available. ill leave this island some day *stares wistfully into distance, dreamin of screwtapes*

blinkandwheeze posted:
man i think shennong is the only hphop thread poster here who doesnt fuck with h-town shit and this should be remedied immediately with a process of political reeducation

dunno why, not much southern hip hop does much for me. i underftand why ppl like it, but the sound is so different from what i grew up with that its sort of contextless for me i guess. im too old to change so reeducation wont work lol

shennong posted:

blinkandwheeze posted:

dunno why, not much southern hip hop does much for me. i underftand why ppl like it, but the sound is so different from what i grew up with that its sort of contextless for me i guess. im too old to change so reeducation wont work lol

listen to this song shennong (greatest southern rap jam of all time, maybe? what do yall think?)

youre a new zealander right? you probably get it because i assume its hot as balls during the summer there and it being hot as fuck and you being poor and dreaming of riches and having fuck all to do except roll around is pretty much halfway to "getting" southern rap

that shit bangs because there aint nothin else to do except bump it in your car and drive

noavbazzer posted:
youre a new zealander right? you probably get it because i assume its hot as balls during the summer there and it being hot as fuck and you being poor and dreaming of riches and having fuck all to do except roll around is pretty much halfway to "getting" southern rap

that shit bangs because there aint nothin else to do except bump it in your car and drive

it's really big here. one of our dudes actually had a pretty big southern club hit a number of years back. everyone up north does this jeezy thing. gangsta gibbs had a verse on a track from here recently. kast are crazy canonical, every band here sounds like they doing a take on spottieottiedopaliscious. what would otherwise be backpacker shit is on some devin the dude shit. theres heat, and theres living in derelict low income residential areas, cats in fucked up cars bumping anything with bass. isnt much to do here cept throwing barbecues and getting blunted

blinky f. baby
the mother fuckin carter
bitches on my stick
but my name aint harry potter

shennong posted:

blinkandwheeze posted:

At first I wanted to dispute that point, then I remembered that all your favourite records are ones you've been listening to for over a decade. But you aren't too old - just too stubborn. I'll put together a Houston mix and re-educate you Clockwork Orange-style if that's what it takes. Positive imagery rather than negative, though.

naw shennong's right a billion year old canadian agriculture nerd or whatever that only fucks with embarrassing backpacker junk probably never going to understand trillness. rip your relevance, shennong
im not going to say fondren and main isnt one of the greatest, but im curious how you listen to so much music thats full of local references? how do you really understand the struggle of z-ro when you've never had poppado's????
and that home brew song "thursday" is more like pharcyde and other weed rap than devin. i didn't hear anything about dick or balls in that song so its obviously not devin

blinkandwheeze posted:
naw shennong's right a billion year old canadian agriculture nerd or whatever that only fucks with embarrassing backpacker junk probably never going to understand trillness. rip your relevance, shennong

Once in awhile he'll surprise you. Dude loves Rick Ross. Training wheels.

rick ross is not a means to an end. rick ross is the end
my favorite rick ross line will always be "I WEIGHT 300 POUNDS AND ITS TIME TO EAT! RAWSE!"

shennong pretty much posted:
rick ross is the Messiah

shermanstick posted:
im not going to say fondren and main isnt one of the greatest, but im curious how you listen to so much music thats full of local references? how do you really understand the struggle of z-ro when you've never had poppado's????

u kno, same reason folks bother understanding venezuelan land reform or serbian nationalism. at least steak, shrimp, hydroponic & candy paint are easier things to understand than equivalent themes in sufi poetry...

LandBeluga posted:

Clockwork Orange-style

b&w i listened to that thing and it just has no effect on me, i dunno. i dont think its entirely a climate/culture thing cause theres stuff from the south that i do like (delta blues etc) but there isnt really any point of entry for me

shennong posted:
b&w i listened to that thing and it just has no effect on me, i dunno. i dont think its entirely a climate/culture thing cause theres stuff from the south that i do like (delta blues etc) but there isnt really any point of entry for me

you don't feel anything listening to a song that basically starts with someone morosely spitting "somebody told me it was destiny for me to suffer"? weird

blinkandwheeze posted:
u kno, same reason folks bother understanding venezuelan land reform or serbian nationalism. at least steak, shrimp, hydroponic & candy paint are easier things to understand than equivalent themes in sufi poetry...

i guess more what i'm wondering is, when you're listening to a rap, do you google all of the references to see what they're talking about? i have to do that a lot with west coast slang, like i didn't know what the fuck bammer weed was

shermanstick posted:

blinkandwheeze posted:

i guess more what i'm wondering is, when you're listening to a rap, do you google all of the references to see what they're talking about? i have to do that a lot with west coast slang, like i didn't know what the fuck bammer weed was

yeah, sure i do, i don't really see the point in being invested in an aesthetic without trying to understand the context behind it. i don't think that's particularly hard to understand, these regional scenes all have super specific cultures but have a much wider traction, like you said, west coast slang will be pretty unintelligible to you unless you start exploring that

at the same time tho, the most fulfilling rappers (looking at gucci or young dro in the south) use words and turns of phrase nobody else uses and there's an appeal to that too, you know?