aesthetics:
quinoa is tasty but its not as good as couscous and certainly not as good as meat. what'll happen if british liberals stop buying it though. within weeks there'll be a story in the guardian about how peruvian quinoa farmers can't make ends meet any more and are all in debt from buying expensive quinoa growing technology and have had to sell their daughters now quinoa prices have crashed. protests with signs saying "NO SEX SLAVERY 4 QUINOA." basically everything we do is evil

Squalid posted:

I'm still not sure that this is even a bad thing.

i gotcha buddy

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2110890,00.html

Growers relish in the moment and the attendant prosperity. "My quinoa sells like hotcakes," says Fidencia Huayllas, grinning. She's spent her boom cash on expanding her mud-and-brick home. Seventy percent of the region's high school graduates can now afford to attend university, Huarachi says, "thanks to quinoa." He leans forward, face brightening: "In 1983, 100 lb. of quinoa sold for 25 bolivianos — the price a T-shirt. Now that sack goes for $100 . That's a lot of T-shirts."

But the windfall could become a double-edged sword. In February, violence over prime quinoa-growing territory left dozens injured, and land conflict is spreading. "Sure, the price of quinoa is increasing," says Carlos Nina, a local leader in Bolivia's quinoa heartland, "but so are our problems." Apart from increasing feuds over property rights, these include the collapse of the traditional relationship between llama herding and soil fertilization, with potentially disastrous consequences of quinoa's "organic" status, and the ironic twist that the children of newly prosperous farmers no longer like eating quinoa, contributing to dietary problems.

But despite good intentions, a dangerous cycle may be under way. "When you transform a food into a commodity, there's inevitable breakdown in social relations and high environmental cost," says Tanya Kerssen, a food-policy analyst for the U.S.-based food and development institute Food First. February's conflict is a harbinger, notes Kerssen. Global warming has led to fewer frosts, resulting in more prime land available for quinoa cultivation. That has led to a near free-for-all. For three days in February, hundreds of farmers fought over what was once abandoned land. Four people were temporarily kidnapped, dozens were injured and, according to local leader Nina, a dynamite blast left one man armless. "I've never seen anything like this in my life," says Nina, 70, adding that since the government is ignoring pleas for military monitoring of the upcoming harvest, the situation will likely worsen.

What's more, territorial bickering is spreading. "Every week, I visit two or three communities with land disputes related to quinoa," says Nina, who, as mallku (traditional indigenous authority) must resolve these quarrels personally. Many families don't have land titles, he explains — they weren't needed when the ample arid soil was communal herding ground. Also, quinoa's high sale price is prompting a reverse migration of those who had long ago abandoned the Altiplano, triggering property disagreements.

Environmental problems are emerging too. Traditionally, quinoa fields covered 10% of this fragile ecosystem, llamas grazed on the rest. Now, llamas are being sold to make room for crops, provoking a soil crisis since the cameloid's guano is the undisputed best fertilizer for maintaining and restoring quinoa fields. (Other options like sheep poop appear to encourage pests.) Increased production also means erosion and strains on limited water sources. "It's frightening to think that a region that has sustained Andean civilizations for millennia could become sterile," says Kerssen.

Equally troubling is the fact that growers themselves are eating less of their gift from the gods. Last year, the Bolivian government acknowledged that national quinoa consumption over the previous five years had decreased 34%. Now there's worry of malnutrition in the quinoa heartland as growers admit that it's tempting to sell their entire harvest while prices are high.

Edited by LaserJew ()

so pretty much, you made some bolivians money but also ignited civil strife amongst the have-nots.

tastes good doesn't it.
i still haven't gotten to taste it

LaserJew posted:

so pretty much, you made some bolivians money but also ignited civil strife amongst the have-nots.

tastes good doesn't it.

Teh

i grew quinoa in my parents garden last year & it grew really well but nobody bothered to harvest it so idk what it tastes like
anorexia is the purest example of an act undertaken strictly for aesthetics. kamikazes and self-immolators are both utilizing an aesthetically pleasing act in the service of some "higher" goal, whereas the anorexic acts entirely and selflessly toward the end of maximizing hir beauty

xipe posted:

i grew quinoa in my parents garden last year & it grew really well but nobody bothered to harvest it so idk what it tastes like

i don't understand, i grew all this quinoa - when do all the peasants show up to harvest it for me

*stuffs tortured flesh into ravenous craw 900 times a year* let me tell you how much i care about the suffering of others

gyrofry posted:

anorexia is the purest example of an act undertaken strictly for aesthetics. kamikazes and self-immolators are both utilizing an aesthetically pleasing act in the service of some "higher" goal, whereas the anorexic acts entirely and selflessly toward the end of maximizing hir beauty

catchphrase

Goethestein posted:

*stuffs tortured flesh into ravenous craw 900 times a year* let me tell you how much i care about the suffering of others

animals are dumb, lets kill them by the millions and eat their dead bodies. hey! here's an idea! why don't we fuck them while we're at it? let's all fuck the bodies of dead animals! jesus cripes. degenerates, degenerates
same.

Goethestein posted:

a few days ago you were justifying the immerseration, subjugation and oppression of women based upon their intellect. yet, despite a chicken possessing no real intellectual capacity, it is afforded inalienable rights, above and beyond that of a black woman, in your opinion.

i was vegan for 5 years. i was also anarchist. now im an alcoholic and a reactionary nazi. dont get laid as much but at least im ideologically correct

AmericanNazbro posted:

Goethestein posted:

a few days ago you were justifying the immerseration, subjugation and oppression of women based upon their intellect. yet, despite a chicken possessing no real intellectual capacity, it is afforded inalienable rights, above and beyond that of a black woman, in your opinion.

when was that

hey goatstein
yer a idiot lol
i don't see how "the right not to be tortured, murdered, cut into pieces and devoured" is a right above and beyond that of a black woman. i'm pretty sure that they have that right, thanks to obama.
lol i was going to link to that video of the screaming african womancake from last year but youtube took the video down because "hate speech"

thirdplace posted:

lol i was going to link to that video of the screaming african womancake from last year but youtube took the video down because "hate speech"

Good.

tpaine posted:

huh. this really gave me a new outlook on quinoa.

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

the kamikaze pilots are aesthetically lame because it's their machines exploding and not them, like "wow a moving metal thing exploding in war, what a statement"

but kamikaze planes were surplus aircraft and mostly made of wood because aside from naval applications and the Zero Japan had the worst hardware out of all the major powers. yes, including Italy

swampman posted:

thirdplace posted:

Good.

it's interesting because apparently the artists motivation was the FMG thing which makes the blackface and whatnot really weird and gross, but when i first saw it i assumed it was really about epic troll of liberal european elites which would have ruled and owned. for me at least it was lena dunham all over again

LaserJew posted:

Squalid posted:

I'm still not sure that this is even a bad thing.

i gotcha buddy

That violence seems really unimportant as long as children eat, the community will probably resolve the dispute eventually and things'll settle down. At least landlords aren't doing the violence like usual. The environmental degradation is worrying, hopefully we can find a solution that still permits increased quinoa harvests. Still don't see any evidence the decrease in quinoa consumption has had negative health consequences.

are negative health consequences the only measure of "a bad thing?"

how about, i can no longer afford to eat the native crops I grow in my backyard, the backbone of my civilization's diet for thousands of years, because some rich new york asshole is worried about the high glycemic index of white rice?

LaserJew posted:

how about, i can no longer afford to eat the native crops I grow in my backyard, the backbone of my civilization's diet for thousands of years, because some rich new york asshole is worried about the high glycemic index of white rice?

QQ i have the ability to sell my crops for five times what they were worth a few years ago, Q and also Q

do you know how many doritos you can buy with 500 bolivianos?!

mucho doritos
but in a sick twist of fate, they don't sell these in peru at all

LaserJew posted:

No but your example is dumb. It seems like Bolivians are voluntarily giving up quinoa so they can go to university. I think I read that even with the boom quinoa is only grown on something like 10% of land, meaning other staples like corn probably made up a much larger part of the Bolivian diet even before the recent decline.

LaserJew posted:

Sounds like your problem is more with the economic hegemony of the West and the Bolivian government which allows such a massive export of cash crops, rather than for instance, the principles of veganism.

So that leads me to then ask you in turn: will the noobery ever cease? Sadly posts like yours are what I've come to expect from posters who aren't me. Sad

maybe i'll become a flexitarian. which means on most days i won't eat meat but ever once in a while i'll gulp down so many chicken wings that the economic impact will be known on CNBC as "bird day"
what was the most meat you've ever eaten in one sitting, donald? ever taken the 72oz steak challenge? i've completed the challenge on many occasion, though it was inadvertent.

Anyone have any meat stories they'd like to share? Cheers, and merry meating.

AmericanNazbro posted:

what was the most meat you've ever eaten in one sitting, donald? ever taken the 72oz steak challenge? i've completed the challenge on many occasion, though it was inadvertent.

Anyone have any meat stories they'd like to share? Cheers, and merry meating.

i used to eat 20 chicken mcnuggets in a sitting. which isn't a lot for like an obese person... but it's a lot.

i bought some quinoa today but i still havent tasted it
still haven't tasted the quinoa but can i say i dont see what the big deal is, health-wise it looks the same as my normal couscous

like wow, 8 grams of protein and "a good source of fiber" but then the regular couscous has 8 grams of protein in a smaller serving and the fiber isn't far off either

Edited by ilmdge ()