ok, so here's a little idea/experiment: we make posts in this thread containing things that have the least possible relevance to anything else in the thread. i assume that "order" will gradually emerge out of the chaos and it will become more difficult to maintain the state of irrelevance. this is the decisive point.

how can you continue producing irrelevance as the potential to be relevant approaches? what will be the content of the emergent relevance that has itself been produced by what is irrelevant? any discussion about the subject of this thread while it is going on should take place in spoilers because it is obviously relevant. if it works in general, this method could then be applied to specific subjects.

for the purposes of the thread, ignore everything posted above (unless in spoilers) and the irrelevance starts here:

the farm from the movie Field of Dreams was just sold to a group of investors operating as Go the Distance Baseball LLC
I'm trying to figure out if one of the constants to great modern comedy, a dunce or generalized idiocy, is an eternal recurrence
skyrim has been flying off store shelves, the only question is will this fantasy version of our european nordic ancestors awaken within the youth the desire to see our world return to germanic tribalism and proto-monarchy
[account deactivated]
Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol is the worst book ever written.
the Zeitgeist movement is built on stale american propaganda, and is a hopeless abyss
i want to respond "humbly report i am an imbecile" sir in response to the post about idocy, above, but i'm not sure if that's allowed by the "rules" of this thread, because as stated i'm an idiot
im gonna get my dick wet tonight by splashing alcohol on it
im gonna sign up for a 100 level dinosaurs class because it fulfills the last science reqs i need and its sort of history related
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
So I came up with this thing I'm calling Skyrim Fit. I thought I'd share it with reddit, and see who else is with me on this.

It goes like this: When playing Skyrim, each hour of play much be preceded by 10 pushups.* You do 10 pushups to "earn" one hour of play. Do 10 pushups, play for an hour, pause the game, and do 10 pushups to earn your next hour.

Some simple rules:

You can't "bank" pushups for more time. No doing 30 pushups to play for 3 hours. The point is to be a little less sedentary, and get your circulation going every now and then.

Can't do 10 pushups? No problem. Do 5, take a breather, then do 5 more. As long as you do 10 before you play again. 10 pushups will be hella easy by the time you finish Skyrim.

If you accidentally play too long, you do have to make up for lost pushups. Play for 2 hours? Gotta stop and do 20 pushups before getting back to it.

Why Skyrim? Why not another game? Well, multiplayer games aren't well-suited to pausing each hour. And single-player games that last for 6-10 hours aren't going to result in a ton of exercise. Many of us will put in 60-80 hours of Skyrim over the next couple weeks. That's 600-800 pushups, which is pretty good. But feel free to substitute your favorite game.

So that's Skyrim Fit. Who's with me?

*Or more if you want to challenge yourself. Or 20 situps. Or burpees. I'm trying to keep it simple with the 10 pushups thing, but as long as you do the rough equivalent of 10 pushups minimum, it's cool. A good way to challenge yourself is to increase the number of hourly pushups (or whatever) by 2 every 10 hours you play.

Edit: A lot of comments say 10 pushups is "nothing" and suggest a much higher number, or a suite of exercises. First, if you're using proper form and tempo, it's not all that easy for a lot of people. (here's a good video on push-up dos and don'ts: http://youtu.be/zF0jbubK_jU?hd=1) Second, women game too and this should be something they can do. Third, it's not meant to replace your trips to the gym, it's meant to be a little physical activity to break up your play so you're not sedentary. And fourth, there's a whole paragraph, just above this one, about how you can challenge yourself with more or different exercises.
Yoga mat for sale. Used once at lunch hour class in December 2009. Usage timeline as follows:

11:45a
Register for hot yoga class. Infinite wisdom tells me to commit to 5 class package and purchase a yoga mat. I pay $89.74. Money well spent, I smugly confirm to myself.

11:55a
Open door to yoga room. A gush of hot dry air rushes through and past me. It smells of breath, sweat and hot. Take spot on floor in back of room next to cute blonde. We will date.

11:57a
I feel the need to be as near to naked as possible. This is a problem because of the hot blonde to my left and our pending courtship. She will not be pleased to learn that I need to lose 30 pounds before I propose to her.

11:58a
The shirt and sweats have to come off. I throw caution to the wind and decide to rely on my wit and conditioning to overcome any weight issues my fiancée may take issue with. This will take a lot of wit and conditioning.

11:59a
Begin small talk with my bride to be. She pretends to ignore me but I know how she can be. I allow her to concentrate and stare straight ahead and continue to pretend that I don't exist. As we finish sharing our special moment, I am suddenly aware of a sweat moustache that has formed below my nose. This must be from the all the whispering between us.

12:00p
Instructor enters the room and ascends her special podium at the front of the room. She is a slight, agitated Chinese woman. She introduces me to the class and everyone turns around to greet me just as I decide to aggressively adjust my penis and testes packed in my Under Armor. My bride is notably unfazed.

12:02p
Since I do have experience with Hot Yoga (4 sessions just 5 short years ago) I fully consider that I may be so outstanding and skilled that my instructor may call me out and ask me to guide the class. My wife will look on with a sparkle in her eye. We will make love after class.

12:10p
It is now up to 95 degrees in the room. We have been practicing deep breathing exercises for the last 8 minutes. This would not be a problem if we were all breathing actual, you know, oxygen. Instead, we are breathing each other's body odor, expelled carbon dioxide and other unmentionables. (Don't worry, I'll mention them later.)

12:26p
It is now 100 degrees and I take notice of the humidity, which is hovering at about 90%. I feel the familiar adorning stare of my bride and decide to look back at her. She appears to be nauseated. I then realize that I forgot to brush my teeth prior to attending this class. We bond.

12:33p
It is now 110 degrees and 95% humidity. I am now balancing on one leg with the other leg crossed over the other. My arms are intertwined and I am squatting. The last time I was in this position was 44 years ago in the womb, but I'm in this for the long haul. My wife looks slightly weathered dripping sweat and her eyeliner is streaming down her face. Well, "for better or worse" is what we committed to so we press on.

12:40p
The overweight Hispanic man two spots over has sweat running down his legs. At least I think its sweat. He is holding every position and has not had a sip of water since we walked in. He is making me look bad and I hate him.

12:44p
I consider that if anyone in this room farted that we would all certainly perish.

12:52p
It is now 140 degrees and 100% humidity. I am covered from head to toe in sweat. There is not a square millimeter on my body that is not slippery and sweaty. I am so slimy that I feel like a sea lion or a maybe sea eel. Not even a bear trap could hold me. The sweat is stinging my eyeballs and I can no longer see.

12:55p
This room stinks of asparagus, cloves, tuna and tacos. There is no food in the room. I realize that this is an amalgamation of the body odors of 30 people in a 140 degree room for the last 55 minutes. Seriously, enough with the asparagus, ok?

1:01p
140 degrees and 130% humidity. Look, bitch, I need my space here so don't get all pissy with me if I accidentally sprayed you with sweat as I flipped over. Seriously, is that where this relationship is going? Get over yourself. We need counseling and she needs to be medicated. Stat!

1:09p
150 degrees and cloudy. And hot. I can no longer move my limbs on my own. I have given up on attempting any of the commands this Chinese chick is yelling out at us. I will lay sedentary until the aid unit arrives. I will buy this building and then have it destroyed.
I lose consciousness.

1:15p
I have a headache and my wife is being a selfish bitch. I can't really breathe. All I can think about is holding a cup worth of hot sand in my mouth. I cannot remember what an ice cube is and cannot remember what snow looks like. I consider that my only escape might be a crab walk across 15 bodies and then out of the room. I am paralyzed, and may never walk again so the whole crab walk thing is pretty much out.

1:17p
I cannot move at all and cannot reach my water. Is breathing voluntary or involuntary? If it's voluntary, I am screwed. I stopped participating in the class 20 minutes ago. Hey, lady! I paid for this frickin class, ok?! You work for me! Stop yelling at everyone and just tell us a story or something. It's like juice and cracker time, ok?

1:20p
It is now 165 degrees and moisture is dripping from the ceiling. The towel that I am laying on is no longer providing any wicking or drying properties. It is actually placing additional sweat on me as I touch it. My towel reeks. I cannot identify the smell but no way can it be from me. Did someone spray some stank on my towel or something?

1:30p
Torture session is over. I wish hateful things upon the instructor. She graciously allows us to stay and 'cool down' in the room. It is 175 degrees. Who cools down in 175 degrees? A Komodo Dragon? My wife has left the room. Probably to throw up.

1:34p
My opportunity to escape has arrived. I roll over to my stomach and press up to my knees. It is warmer as I rise up from ground level - probably by 15 degrees. So let's conservatively say it's 190. I muster my final energy and slowly rise. One foot in front of the other. One foot in front of the other. Towards the door. Towards the door.

1:37p
The temperature in the lobby is 72 degrees. Both nipples stiffen to diamond strength and my penis begins to retract into my abdomen from the 100 degree temp swing. I can once again breathe though so I am pleased. I spot my future ex wife in the lobby. We had such a good thing going but I know that no measure of counseling will be able to unravel the day's turmoil and mental scaring.

1:47p
Arrive at Emerald City Smoothie and proceed to order a 32 oz beverage. 402 calories, 0 fat and 14 grams of protein -- effectively negating any caloric burn or benefit from the last 90 minutes. I finish it in 3 minutes and spend the next 2 hours writing this memoir.

3:47p
Create Craigslist ad while burning final 2 grams of protein from Smoothie and before the "shakes" consume my body.

4:29p
Note to self - check car for missing wet yoga towel in am.
[account deactivated]
this post is good and was not made by a moron
[account deactivated]
broken sword is cool game
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i saw ficklefuck at pitchforkfest last year they were ok
[account deactivated]
no, but they did play their classic double album 'achilles healed/wittgenstein's mistress' in its entirety
flang sorbs for the traggot. a pilligree contemptible barton, shiffer-shuffling along down grovulent callies, always with the whittering clims fleezing about his head, dichronomaciously initerrated by the slow gradiosity of sime. no pratichularas can commult him now; the travisters stand briggly and immanulate as a long-hibbered trate. such is the franticality of all obdits.
its really annoying b/c americans have no idea about dubstep, not a fricken clue
Witch House Music is Great
The ultimate bepp jokes
Molu was traveling in an auto ricksha with his
wife.
The driver adjusted the mirror.
Molu shouted: U r trying to see my wife, sit back,
I'll drive!
[account deactivated]
TWELVE TON ASTEROID STARTLES SHEEP, SONGBIRDS
:)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/11/occupy-movement-wealth-power-law-distribution?fb=optOut

The mathematical law that shows why wealth flows to the 1%

One of the main issues raised by the Occupy demonstrators is the inequitable distribution of wealth. Their slogan focuses on the extreme difference between the richest and the poorest: "We are the 99%," say the banners and T-shirts, pointing out that 1% of the world's population has somehow clawed its way to disproportionate money and power. Time to do something about this unnatural distribution, no?

The economist Edward N Wolff, of New York University, has pointed out that, as of 2007, the top 1% of households in America owned 34.6% of all privately held wealth, and the next 19% had 50.5% of the wealth. This means that just 20% of the people owned 85% of the wealth, leaving only 15% for the bottom 80% of the people. No one who is interested in an equitable society can fail to be irked by this unfairness.

But the unfairness is, unfortunately, not unexpected. What the protesters are fighting (consciously or unconsciously) is the 80/20 rule – variously called Pareto's principle, Zipf's law, the long tail or Benford's law, depending on what you are studying – a staple in scientific, economic and business textbooks, the go-to idea to show how the frequency of a set of natural events is not always what you might recognise as, well, natural.

The maths underlying the 80/20 rule, known as the power law distribution, is found in many natural systems over which no single human has much influence. Its concentration of the extremes seems built into the fabric of complex systems that depend on numerous factors that continually change over time.

The simplest version says that 80% of your company sales will come from 20% of your customers; that 80% of the world's internet traffic will go to 20% of the websites; 80% of the film industry's money gets made by 20% of its movies; 80% of the usage of the English language involves just 20% of its words. You get the picture.

A distribution based on a power law says extreme events (or richest people, or biggest websites) account for most of the impact in that particular world, and everything falls off quickly afterwards. The combined wealth of the top 10 richest people in the world is orders of magnitude greater than the next 10, which is orders of magnitude greater than the next 10, and so on. The rest of the field sits in a long, almost-irrelevant tail.

This distribution might sound odd. At school, we're introduced to a different distribution, the more familiar "normal" (or Gaussian), which is best displayed in the bell-curve spread of values around an average. Measure the heights of a random selection of men, say, and most will be around the average value, with progressively fewer as you go in either direction away from the middle. Plot this on a graph and you get the bell curve.

Power law distributions, however, do not cluster around a single value. The impact of one big earthquake, for example, is bigger than the sum of millions of smaller, more common ones. Very few huge solar flares erupt from the surface of the sun, but those few are more significant than the endless thousands of smaller ones. The same applies to the numbers of big cities, the size of the Moon's craters and the occurrence and citations of scientific papers.

Once you know power law distributions exist, they become very useful. The concept of the "average" is useless, for example, when talking about things that follow power laws. The average height of the people in a room (following the normal distribution) might tell you a lot about the spread heights of people in that room, but the average wealth of a country's citizens (which follows a power law distribution) tells you little or nothing about how rich or poor most people are. And listening to the maths also tells you that the Occupy protesters have got it right that focusing on the extremes (a tax on the wealthiest 1%, say) will bring disproportionate results for the number of people it will affect.

Ben Goldacre's Bad Science column will return next year

fuck the police
this smoked cheese is the bomb
DONT FILM ME & MY BLACK BLOCK PROVOCATEUR BUDDIES DEFLATING A POLICE TIRE. TRAITOr
Petani Takalar Kembali Melakukan Aksi
Terkait penyerobotan lahan oleh PTPN XIV
Puluhan petani Polongbangkeng, Takalar, kembali menggelar aksi langsung melawan PT. Perkebunan Nusantara XIV, Jumat 17 September 2010. Aksi yang berlangsung di sekitar wilayah sengketa, Desa Polongbangkeng, Takalar, itu disulut oleh rencana perusahaan negara tersebut melakukan penanaman tebu secara massal di lahan petani yang diklaim PTPN XIV.
Sejak pagi warga telah bersiaga melakukan penghadangan. Penghadangan adalah satu-satunya cara yang bisa ditempuh untuk menghentikan aktifitas PTPN. Menjelang siang, akhirnya penanaman tidak jadi dilaksanakan. Pihak kepolisian terlihat berjaga-jaga di lokasi untuk mengamankan perusahaan.

Aksi langsung berupa penghadangan ini mengingatkan kita akan aksi-aksi petani dua tahun lalu, dimana sejumlah warga ditembaki Brimob dalam usaha menolak penguasaan lahan oleh perusahaan. Semenjak pasifikasi dan intimidasi yang dilakukan negara melalui satuan Brimob bersenjata lengkap standar perang, aksi petani Polongbangkeng berangsur-angsur kendur. Penembakan, penangkapan, pemenjaraan dan kriminalisasi mewarnai hari-hari paska aksi langsung (reclaiming) tersebut.

Semenjak itu, aksi-aksi petani lebih banyak dilakukan secara diam-diam, klandestin/bawah tanah, maupun dikolaborasikan dengan aksi-aksi formal seperti protes ke parlemen daerah (DPRD Takalar).

Sejak saat itu juga PTPN XIV lebih leluasa memperluas wilayah penanaman dan penguasaan lahan. Petani dilarang menanam, mengolah, bahkan memasuki tanah mereka sendiri. Pihak PTPN juga melakukan perusakan lahan dan tanaman warga.

Namun, bangkitnya kembali petani Polongbangkeng, Takalar dengan melakukan aksi-aksi langsung, mematahkan asumsi dan opini publik, bahwa petani Polongbangkeng sudah kalah dan menyerah. Aksi kali ini membuktikanbahwa petani dan warga Polongbangkeng memilih untuk terus berjuang mempertahankan kehidupannya

[account deactivated]
ym yum whopper jr
The temple in particular--pre-eminently the sacred place--had a celestial prototype. On Mount Sinai, Jehovah shows Moses the "form" of the sanctuary that he is to build for him ... (Exodus 25:9, 40) ... Cities too have their divine prototypes. All the Babylonian cities hat their archetypes in the constellations: Sippara in Cancer, Nineveh in Ursa Major, Assur in Arcturus, etc. Sennacherib has Nineveh built accourding to the "form ... delineated from distant ages by the writing of the heaven-of-stars." Not only does a model precede terrestrial architecture, but the model is also situated in an ideal (celestial) reegion of eternity. This is what Solomon announces: "Thou gavest command to built a sanctuary in thy holy mountain, And an altar in the city of thy habitation, A copy of the holy tabernacle which thou preparedst aforehand from the beginning."
A celestial Jerusalem was created by God before the city was built by the hand of man ... the heavenly Jerusalem kindled the inspiration of all the Hebrew prophets: Tobias 13:16, Isaiah 59:11 ff; Ezekiel 60, etc. ... and the Sibylline Oracles preserve the memory of the New Jerusalem in the center of which there shines "a temple ... with a giant tower touching the very clouds and seen of all ..." But the most beautiful description of the heavenly Jerusalem occurs in the Apocalypse (21:2 ff): "And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband."
We find the same theory in India: all the Indian royal cities, even the modern ones, are built after the mythical model of the celestial city where, in the age of gold (in illo tempore), the Universal Sovereign dwelt. And, like the latter, the king attempts to revive the age of gold, to make a perfect reign a present reality - an idea which we shall encounter again in the course of this study. Thus, for example, the palace-fortress of Sigiriya, in Ceylon, is built after the model of the celestial city Alakamanda and is "hard of ascent for human beings" (Mahāvastu, 39, 2). Plato's ideal city likewise has a celestial archetype (Republic, 592b, cf. 500e). The Platonic "forms" are not astral; yet their mythical region is situated on supraterrestrial planes (Phaedrus, 247, 250).

And that's about all I have to say tonight, except for one thing. The past few days when I've been at that window upstairs, I've thought a bit of the ``shining city upon a hill.'' The phrase comes from John Winthrop, who wrote it to describe the America he imagined. What he imagined was important because he was an early Pilgrim, an early freedom man. He journeyed here on what today we'd call a little wooden boat; and like the other Pilgrims, he was looking for a home that would be free.

I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.
http://www.pisamba.com/ringtones/view/Waka-Flocka-Flame-Damn-Son-Where-d-Ya-Find-This_593144