ok, i don't categorically dismiss all rap music, but one thing that tpaine is right about is that there are some pretty racially regressive elements to white rap fandom. the way hip hop has developed is that ever since the early-90's minstrelry has become a core part of the performance for black rappers, and it was the explosion of gangsta rap that led to this - much of it was plainly white supremacist in form and function, it validated every negative stereotype about black communities and criminality, it justified every fear that white americans could possibly have about black masculinity, so much so that you almost wonder if the people who published it might've had some kind of agenda. this was at the height of the war on drugs, with d.a.r.e. officers at schools and mass incarceration adopted as official policy, with racially-determined enforcement as the norm. it was the height of a reactionary period against the black political power that had organized and crested by the mid-70's. and this became the dominant form of popular music in the united states.

today even thoughtful, serious and musically gifted black artists with little experience of poverty or violence feel compelled to 'play n*****r' because it is what their white audiences value and expect. ironically, one thing i've noticed is that the more progressive a white guy claims to be, the more he prefers his rappers to really pander to him on the level of base racial stereotypes - it helps convince him that it's Authentic and it helps him confirm his virtue and goodness in his own heart, to look upon what he imagines as some untamed, feral street creature and say 'ah yes, this is good'. if you doubt that this is true, just look at the derision people heap upon macklemore, even though he's basically anodyne in terms of music and actual talent, not good, but not really terrible - he's disdained because he can't deliver the Good White that sustaining dopamine hit of racial absolution which he requires to enjoy the music. in this way the white person's consumption of rap music is a ritual reinforcement of white supremacy, so it is no contradiction that explicitly racist assholes also listen to it.

there is rap music that i like, and there is plenty of it that doesn't fall into any of these traps, but i find a lot of it hard to listen to for these reasons.

Edited by KilledInADuel ()

sections of gangsta rap were also promoted because of the neoliberal "self made man" trope that got promoted (not to mention glorifying the CIAs dirty work selling drugs)
http://hub.jhu.edu/magazine/2015/winter/lester-spence-african-americans-neoliberalism

c_man posted:

sections of gangsta rap were also promoted because of the neoliberal "self made man" trope that got promoted (not to mention glorifying the CIAs dirty work selling drugs)

the sections you're talking about here are and were more endemic to classicist, "respectability politics" cultural attitudes than associated with "gangsta" rap. you're going to see more outright contempt of the latter in this milieu than anything else. the article you link talks about jay-z and kanye west, for christ's sake - are you really trying to pass them off as sections of gangsta rap

KilledInADuel posted:

junk

1. the idea of the "gangsta rap explosion" fuelled by white consumption was a largely outdated marketing gimmick. there has never been reliable data on music consumption by ethnicity, but "top 40" stations throughout the period where this supposed boom was taking places forwarded white papers based on intentionally shaky metrics (such as using evidence of music being purchased in predominantly white neighbourhoods - i.e. where record stores were in the first place) as indicative of the supposed fact that the most influential market for this music was white suburbia

this was done specifically to capitalise on the fact that predominantly black oriented or owned radio stations were under pressure by advertisers not to play this music for exactly the same reasons you've been stating here. black stations were only allowed small windows in which they were able to actually play new rap records, but were unable to have them in regular rotation. mainstream radio stations were in a unique position of being able to seize the audience of black stations while also being able to assuage advertiser concerns by promoting the largely fabricated narrative that the primary driving audience for this culture was harmless white escapism

2. the record labels responsible for the rise of "gangsta" - or more broadly, "street" - rap were almost to a rule locally and independently owned. cash money, no limit, rap-a-lot, hypnotize minds, so so def, death row - received little major label backing. most did not sign distribution deals with majors until well into their history when they were largely forced to by the decline of independent music industry in the early 2000s

the distribution networks responsible for the success of "street" rap in the 90s - most notably the efforts of priority records - were successful because they almost solely focused their promotion on local communities and audience while practically refusing to deal with conventional music media and especially major label dominated radio stations

of the labels associated with this boom that still actually exist in some consistent form, most notably rap-a-lot, are infamous for refusing to send even basic press releases to media outlets because their promotion is focused entirely on real life local audiences

3. the infrastructure involved in the distribution of this music - particularly in the past decade or so, but definitely even earlier - have existed almost entirely outside conventional markets. mixtapes were the fundamental medium behind the rise of any of the significant figures in "street rap" in our recent history, and until the permeation of the internet, these were distributed through car boots, swap meets and barbershops. that is, almost exclusively in black neighbourhoods

with all this in mind - who are you actually talking about when you suggest the white puppet masters behind the promotion and distribution of this music? what white audiences are so influential in determining the culture of this music? the role of record sales in street rap today is functionally negligible - it's dominated by freely downloadable mixtapes. careers are sustained almost entirely by live performances - and if you go see migos or future or whatever in a club in atlanta, what percentage of the audience do you think is likely to be white?

4. the music you are summarily dismissing are so frequently more explicitly political than those in the genre deemed "respectable" - or for that matter, almost any other popular music culture. resentment and aggression towards state institutions complicit in the slow genocide of the american black population - the police and corrective institutions - are some of the most well trodden subject matters explored within these cultures. you know what protestors at ferguson protests were blaring and singing along to at police? lil boosie

[account deactivated]

blinkandwheeze posted:

c_man posted:

the sections you're talking about here are and were more endemic to classicist, "respectability politics" cultural attitudes than associated with "gangsta" rap. you're going to see more outright contempt of the latter in this milieu than anything else. the article you link talks about jay-z and kanye west, for christ's sake - are you really trying to pass them off as sections of gangsta rap

kanye is fairly spurious but are you trying to tell me that the black album thru, say, american gangsta isn't gangsta rap? and i'd definitely put people like biggie in the same boat, rapping about dealing drugs and building up their personal fiefdoms

KilledInADuel posted:

today even thoughtful, serious and musically gifted black artists with little experience of poverty or violence feel compelled to 'play n*****r' because it is what their white audiences value and expect. ironically, one thing i've noticed is that the more progressive a white guy claims to be, the more he prefers his rappers to really pander to him on the level of base racial stereotypes - it helps convince him that it's Authentic and it helps him confirm his virtue and goodness in his own heart, to look upon what he imagines as some untamed, feral street creature and say 'ah yes, this is good'. if you doubt that this is true, just look at the derision people heap upon macklemore, even though he's basically anodyne in terms of music and actual talent, not good, but not really terrible - he's disdained because he can't deliver the Good White that sustaining dopamine hit of racial absolution which he requires to enjoy the music. in this way the white person's consumption of rap music is a ritual reinforcement of white supremacy, so it is no contradiction that explicitly racist assholes also listen to it.

No it's not malicious, the white hipsters have a sincere belief that if they manage to embrace the most retarded black cultural product, then there's no way that they will be racist to any black person.

So when they brag about listening to Rae Sremmurd, Young Thug, Fetty Wap, Waka, Chicago drill etc, they really feel like they're accepting the scariest, most lumpen, low-life blacks imaginable - it's the musical equivalent of that leftist guy who got his smartphone stolen at Ferguson and loved it.

This is different from normies who listen to rap though, like...the really energetic/aggressive jocks in high school listened to violent rap but they didn't think about black people in any way, they just liked that rap was socially coded as hypermasculine.

c_man posted:

kanye is fairly spurious but are you trying to tell me that the black album thru, say, american gangsta isn't gangsta rap? and i'd definitely put people like biggie in the same boat, rapping about dealing drugs and building up their personal fiefdoms

yes? "gangsta rap" is a real thing and specific cultural tendency, not just referring to anyone that has ever written about moving weight. i don't think i've ever heard anyone refer to jay-z as a gangsta rapper that wasn't on like, a fox news show

regardless, it should be transparent that jay-z is obviously not the same figure as even a biggie - jay-z is aesthetically conservative and classicist. his points of reference were specifically gangster, the suits and cigars of mafioso movies. his vision was always elitist and almost purely aspirational

there are a few exceptions in his discography i would consider g rap though - big pimpin, probably - because hov fundamentally was and is an opportunist

i probably wouldn't consider biggie a gangsta rapper but the difference between jay-z and someone like him should be pretty clear - where hov was building figurative empires, biggie's "fiefdoms" were vehicles for suicidal thoughts just as often as they were home to anything of solace. if you think biggie's records are consistent with the aspirational individualism of forbes magazine, you simply aren't listening hard enough

blinkandwheeze posted:

i don't think i've ever heard anyone refer to jay-z as a gangsta rapper that wasn't on like, a fox news show

lmao either you're totally full of shit or you never leave your house

hyperbole m8. no i have not literally only heard fox news presenters call jay-z a "gangsta rapper" - but it should be obvious what i am implying by that comment. what outlets actually actively aware of rap music and culture would refer to him as such?
anyway, no shit they're different. splitting hairs by saying that someone has a different aesthetic composition to someone else totally elides the point that what they have in common is a promotion of exploitation of the communities they live in. Its The Ideology, Stupid. who cares whether you're melancholic or aspirational about the exploitation?

blinkandwheeze posted:

hyperbole m8. no i have not literally only heard fox news presenters call jay-z a "gangsta rapper" - but it should be obvious what i am implying by that comment. what outlets actually actively aware of rap music and culture would refer to him as such?

why would you expect them to? it's like bringing up a national chain to a bunch of foodies nerding out trying to impress each other.

the issue i have with these kinds of discussions is that, bizarrely, rap music never seems to be granted the most basic point of recognition that would be afforded by any other medium - which is that it uses first person as a narrative. using that to position yourself as a subject in relation to the exploitation of local communities is not inherently promotional or critical

what determines whether it is purely promotional or whether it offers the basis for a critical approach? how the subject is talked about. that's the importance of the compositional distinction between melancholia or aspiration - if the narrative is purely aspirational, if hustling only serves to better the individual - it's a fantasy of opulence with no consequences - then this is entirely consistent with haute-bourgeois ideology. if, instead, participation in the drug trade is consistent with an overwhelming desire to slash your own wrists - maybe this is actually saying something completely different about the same subject matter?

c_man posted:

why would you expect them to? it's like bringing up a national chain to a bunch of foodies nerding out trying to impress each other.

i wouldn't expect them to, that's what i'm saying - my point is that the assessment of jay-z as a gangsta rapper is largely exclusively the providence of people not actually actively cognisant of rap music and its culture. that was what the fox news comment was getting at. this is such a bizarre and inconsequential point to nitpick

why are you approaching the phenomenon rap music entering the mainstream of US music right as it starts to center on the violent exploitation of the most vulnerable communities in the US becoming via the promotion of the people doing it as though its something you have to analyze by itself and not as a social product? whether its melancholic or aspirational it's what was allowed to become successful on the larger market. why then? was it total coincidence?

blinkandwheeze posted:

i wouldn't expect them to, that's what i'm saying - my point is that the assessment of jay-z as a gangsta rapper is largely exclusively the providence of people not actually actively cognisant of rap music and its culture. that was what the fox news comment was getting at. this is such a bizarre and inconsequential point to nitpick

you missed the point. people who know a lot about hiphop dont have to classify jayz because its so obvious and pervasive, not because he is or is not anything in particular. i know people who feel the same way about the "gangsta rap" label in general

just saying before this goes any further afaik no black person has ever made a single post on rhizzone
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

c_man posted:

why are you approaching the phenomenon rap music entering the mainstream of US music right as it starts to center on the violent exploitation of the most vulnerable communities in the US becoming via the promotion of the people doing it as though its something you have to analyze by itself and not as a social product? whether its melancholic or aspirational it's what was allowed to become successful on the larger market. why then? was it total coincidence?

i have been analysing it as a social product, unless you missed my large post that focused on the actual material and social processes of the practical processes and distribution of this music? rap music entered the mainstream long before gangsta rap existed as a real trend, and gangsta rap did not achieve mainstream recognition until it had already become a financial success through bypassing mainstream media or distribution networks and instead promoting itself to the communities it directly concerned

gangsta rap was not allowed to become successful by any means that wasn't a largely impersonal financial calculus. that is, this music was seized on by major distribution networks and consolidated by financial interests until well after it had proven the ability to move records in substantial amounts, break artists and hits, through its own infrastructure and distribution networks

why that happened is a bigger question but i don't think it's that perplexing why a music that actually addresses the social context and cultures of a large, marginalised communities saw success by engaging directly with these audiences. why did the cultural product that was developed and promoted within these communities embrace the subject matter it did? because that was the reality of the social context that this music existed in relation to. no, it's not a coincidence that the culture of rap music shifted alongside the destruction of black communities through the crack epidemic... what's curious is why anyone would expect it not to, or that it would have required any outside intervention to make that push

c_man posted:

you missed the point. people who know a lot about hiphop dont have to classify jayz because its so obvious and pervasive, not because he is or is not anything in particular. i know people who feel the same way about the "gangsta rap" label in general

that's precisely why jay-z has to be classified by people who know a lot about hiphop - it's, in relative terms, an extremely young genre with very few artists that have been able to reach the stature he has. more ink has been spilled regarding his career than most other figures in the entire history of the music. it's ridiculous to assume that none of that has dealt with his categorisation and attempting to situate where exactly he is in the cultural landscape and what that means

this is, in any case, a mostly meaningless semantic distinction - even if you want to use a broader and fluid definition of "gangsta rap" that would include jay-z, that doesn't change my argument at all. the difference between someone like jay-z and the vast majority of gangsta rap (other gangsta rap, if you're insistent on this) is that jay-z is aesthetically classicist and purely aspirational. much of the latter reflects, instead, melancholia, paranoia, desperation and precarity. the nature of the former sees hustling as purely a process of individual self-betterment - whether within the drug trade or out of it - and is both implicitly and explicitly tied to notions of respectability politics. the latter tendency rejects every possible tenet of respectability politics, presents success as implicitly isolating and self-destructive, is clear about the role of desperate conditions as motivating influence, and does not shy from examining the role of violence and state repression in consolidating that desperation

these are distinct explorations of similar subjects, and it is in no way coincidental that the perspectives of figures like jay-z and kanye west are those that are being institutionally embraced and upheld as positive role models

politicking about rap is like beatboxing about sam kriss
this fucking thread, mates

ZclaXQWVRCg
rip glue sniff crew
i regret my KilledInADuel upvote because bnw got me seeing truth and now i feel stupid lol
this thread

JrB303__d_k

blinkandwheeze posted:

why that happened is a bigger question but i don't think it's that perplexing why a music that actually addresses the social context and cultures of a large, marginalised communities saw success by engaging directly with these audiences. why did the cultural product that was developed and promoted within these communities embrace the subject matter it did? because that was the reality of the social context that this music existed in relation to. no, it's not a coincidence that the culture of rap music shifted alongside the destruction of black communities through the crack epidemic... what's curious is why anyone would expect it not to, or that it would have required any outside intervention to make that push

saying the culture shifted during the epidemic is one thing but claiming that the natural consequence of that is to promote the people selling the crack is another. but i agree that this is a stupid argument and should probably not continue

in closing