whats the nyc nazbol/hardline maoist party i should join?
the first guy who introduced himself to me said matter of factly "so you're a student?" i guess it was because i was wearing a beisbol hat. i'm almost 34 years old by our garbage solar calendar.

then a nice lawyer woman said "I couldn't help but notice your cap. Many of us are also fans of the Blue Jays baseball team." What da fuckey? We're in Toronto. It's not like a Tokyo Japan Post Bank Ink-Ample Squids baseball hat.

EmanuelaBrolandi posted:

whats the nyc nazbol/hardline maoist party i should join?

whatever NCP is calling themselves today

wut is that
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

littlegreenpills posted:

arent all Arab countries pretty much the same

no they're all quite unique

is the sky a different colour. do the people not eat or shit in some of them

my wife's union is going on strike

Edited by littlegreenpills ()

im drunk
[account deactivated]
i met one of the bargaineers yesterday and she seemed hardcore. i don't know if bargaining teams need unanimity. anyway to be honest i find the whole idea of the 'neoliberalization of the university' a bit questionable anyway because like... what have universities done for the last hundred years if not produced millions of little eichmanns. send the students up to the mountains and down to the countryside.
the progressive element of university education always came across like a safety video at a factory. you zone out while they talk about how you should always wear gloves when handling boxes or whatever and then they send you out and you're yelled at for slowing down when a machine takes the hand of manuel.
But a hundred years ago, university graduates were brimming over with panache and that priceless, intangible thing we call style.

Hence WWI
a lot of times students get really excited about like... turning fee struggles and such into huge debates over the reproduction of themselves as workers and such, and the right to training and control of their life conditions and whatever.. and obviously i agree with all that. but i think sometimes they start to get the attitude (paraphrasing a comic) of the guy who starts bullshit about he and his friends quitting their jobs, buying a van and just driving. it's like yeah... don't actually do that the next day. your friends weren't serious about joining you.
I'm not sure if I agree Donald. I went to university in your current place of residence, and aside from the ethics class I took with the other business students (which was as you say and I did a project on bhopal gas disaster), my classes weren't especially window dressing.
Sure my business classes were bullshit, half the reason I'm a leftist now, but the electives I got to take were a lot more interesting. But then I took labour history and politics classes. And my politics prof who seemed pretty lefty died a week into school and was replaced by an anarchist (he told me after class) documentary maker who's been all over the world and spent class time going over primary documents showing the direct connection between The World bank, nazi gold in switzerland, and union busting by former nazi's in Canada in the 50s.

getfiscal posted:

don't actually do that the next day. your friends weren't serious about joining you.

leftist org catchphrase

i might come 2 toronto for mayday donnie do u wanna hang out.

wheres shennong at is he still muslim i bet if we get him in the mix the CIA will def gangstalk us
[account deactivated]

Red_Canadian posted:

I'm not sure if I agree Donald. I went to university in your current place of residence, and aside from the ethics class I took with the other business students (which was as you say and I did a project on bhopal gas disaster), my classes weren't especially window dressing.

Sure my business classes were bullshit, half the reason I'm a leftist now, but the electives I got to take were a lot more interesting. But then I took labour history and politics classes. And my politics prof who seemed pretty lefty died a week into school and was replaced by an anarchist (he told me after class) documentary maker who's been all over the world and spent class time going over primary documents showing the direct connection between The World bank, nazi gold in switzerland, and union busting by former nazi's in Canada in the 50s.

1) I don't live in Toronto. God willing, I never will again.
2) I'm just saying... look at what a university actually does, versus what the ideal seems to be, and the two are really far apart. Yes there are some good professors. But it's like the image of lawyers fighting for justice versus the reality of mass incarceration, police repression, corporate crime, etc.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

EmanuelaBrolandi posted:

i might come 2 toronto for mayday donnie do u wanna hang out.

That's near my birthday so I might be partying with all the women who want me for both my body and my smartness, also I am paralytically shy, so "we'll see".

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Can I just say that the place to be for mayday in Canada is probably montreal? I mean, I'm reading all over about a general strike, and I mean, in the free metro paper, not just the Partisan. And I live there now and my birthday is a bit after. I'm thinking of getting a couple of my more left suggestible friends to come up to further radicalise them.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
re: union bargaining units. there is a NDP politician named peggy nash. she ran for leader in 2012. she added a few important notes. her angle was like... i was the first woman to lead negotiations in a major auto union. but the deal she negotiated was terrible and full of concessions. so it's like... yeah... you should elect me because i'm pro-union in the most minimal sense of the term. and this was actually somehow better than mulcair's position, which was basically just to talk down to unions and argue the party should basically become a liberal environmentalist party. politics... so bad.

Red_Canadian posted:

Can I just say that the place to be for mayday in Canada is probably montreal? I mean, I'm reading all over about a general strike, and I mean, in the free metro paper, not just the Partisan. And I live there now and my birthday is a bit after. I'm thinking of getting a couple of my more left suggestible friends to come up to further radicalise them.

i'd make the trip out if i could afford to. mayday in edmonton is going to be the same as every year, a couple public sector unions accompanied by the world's most timid inoffensive (other than the smell!) wobblies taking a stroll for a couple blocks.

tpaine posted:

oops wait a second, we completely failed, let's enumberate let's fuckin' enumerate the reasons we failed, wait, it's because we don't have a god damn clue about anything, let alone how to build an actual anti-capitalist message from scratch without relying on wait i can't read this cue card!!! dru! what's it say here??

go to the prozac store and stop whining you asshat!

shriekingviolet posted:

i'd make the trip out if i could afford to. mayday in edmonton is going to be the same as every year, a couple public sector unions accompanied by the world's most timid inoffensive (other than the smell!) wobblies taking a stroll for a couple blocks.

do you know that older redmonton blogger who calls himself an anarcho-communist or whatever and is a huge NDP supporter. or at least he used to be. i checked a few months ago and he still churns out a constant stream of opinions on things.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

there is no such thing due to you butt birds' inability to accomplish a simple task.

actually i hand out your pamphlet about how capitalism is robbery at the mall every saturday. it's starts a lot of conversations, like 'why is this paper pink and scented' or 'has this man ever written a book i could read' or 'is the author really gay as a tangerine'.