getfiscal posted:

shriekingviolet posted:

i'd make the trip out if i could afford to. mayday in edmonton is going to be the same as every year, a couple public sector unions accompanied by the world's most timid inoffensive (other than the smell!) wobblies taking a stroll for a couple blocks.

do you know that older redmonton blogger who calls himself an anarcho-communist or whatever and is a huge NDP supporter. or at least he used to be. i checked a few months ago and he still churns out a constant stream of opinions on things.

you're really, really going to need to be more specific lol.

[account deactivated]

shriekingviolet posted:

you're really, really going to need to be more specific lol.

i messaged you about it.

tpaine posted:

you got aids cuz you touched it lmao

it's not the death sentence it once was.

[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

re: union bargaining units. there is a NDP politician named peggy nash. she ran for leader in 2012. she added a few important notes. her angle was like... i was the first woman to lead negotiations in a major auto union. but the deal she negotiated was terrible and full of concessions. so it's like... yeah... you should elect me because i'm pro-union in the most minimal sense of the term. and this was actually somehow better than mulcair's position, which was basically just to talk down to unions and argue the party should basically become a liberal environmentalist party. politics... so bad.

if i promise to join the ndp and run as an actually left candidate will you be my speechwriter / researcher / source of all actual political thought. could be fun my dorm room door's open hit me up also i have a sick bong

also if you all want to come to montreal i guess i would probably show up or something. also i have a couch and an extra bedroom and i feel like i should say you can stay here. it probably wouldn't be awful. you could get horrified by how bougie me, my girlfriend, my neighbourhood and my apartment are. we could make fun of the new york rhizzone posters. also i have a cardboard cutout of tpaine and i attached the speaker from inside one of those kids games where it goes "the cow says moo" etc so it'll be just like posting

drwhat posted:

if i promise to join the ndp and run as an actually left candidate will you be my speechwriter / researcher / source of all actual political thought. could be fun my dorm room door's open hit me up also i have a sick bong

that sounds exhausting. give me some of that bank severance money though and i'll write you speeches even if you run for the conservatives.

getfiscal posted:

re: union bargaining units. there is a NDP politician named peggy nash. she ran for leader in 2012. she added a few important notes. her angle was like... i was the first woman to lead negotiations in a major auto union. but the deal she negotiated was terrible and full of concessions. so it's like... yeah... you should elect me because i'm pro-union in the most minimal sense of the term. and this was actually somehow better than mulcair's position, which was basically just to talk down to unions and argue the party should basically become a liberal environmentalist party. politics... so bad.

that leadership race was so bad, even for liberal bourgeois pseudo-leftism. i went to a candidates "debate" that was nothing but a contest to see who could more vigorously fellate jack layton's corpse. shameful

i lived in the plateau in 2013... it was great. although if i moved back i'd probably just go to NDG or something.
im not going to toronto for mayday in general im coming for a bike race. im not communist enough to travel abroad for labour holidays.

shriekingviolet posted:

that leadership race was so bad, even for liberal bourgeois pseudo-leftism. i went to a candidates "debate" that was nothing but a contest to see who could more vigorously fellate jack layton's corpse. shameful

many funny things happened in my opinion.

one was that brian topp wrote an article explaining that his vision of social-democracy was best exemplified by the PASOK government in greece, which was making tough choices or whatever.... and topp was the 'left' candidate lol.

the other was that cullen was like... yeah we need to cooperate to bring down harper. his solution was pretty dumb but it caused a lot of attention because of sign-ups. everything in our electoral system is set against trying to run one slate of candidates for multiple parties and he couldn't even answer basic questions about his idea.

politics is so bad.

getfiscal posted:

i met one of the bargaineers yesterday and she seemed hardcore. i don't know if bargaining teams need unanimity. anyway to be honest i find the whole idea of the 'neoliberalization of the university' a bit questionable anyway because like... what have universities done for the last hundred years if not produced millions of little eichmanns. send the students up to the mountains and down to the countryside.

lgp's wife posted:

did you meet the CHAIR of the bargaining team? I wouldn't be surprised if she was hardcore

oh she's in 3903 not 3902. "my bad".

lgp's wife posted:

that's York. They have yet to reach their strike deadline

yeah. do you have extreme school spirit.... like... wear a t-shirt that says "If you can use a fork, you can go to York" and such. i guess they aren't really big on studying the middle ages, or, as i prefer to call it, the Golden Age of Christendom.

edit: Nevermind they do have a Medieval Studies program. IANA Academic.

lgp's wife posted:

What a silly question. Don't you realize that this whole school spirit nonsense is just something they sell to the undergrads so people will come to ball games and buy tshirt? We're not playing in the sandlot here, we stand in complete solidarity with 3903.

I was joking. I didn't even buy a maroon leather jacket at Queen's, which is almost mandatory!
one of my good friends at queen's had transfered from york because of their strike because he hated unions. he was cool.

getfiscal posted:

shriekingviolet posted:

many funny things happened in my opinion.

one was that brian topp wrote an article explaining that his vision of social-democracy was best exemplified by the PASOK government in greece, which was making tough choices or whatever.... and topp was the 'left' candidate lol.

the other was that cullen was like... yeah we need to cooperate to bring down harper. his solution was pretty dumb but it caused a lot of attention because of sign-ups. everything in our electoral system is set against trying to run one slate of candidates for multiple parties and he couldn't even answer basic questions about his idea.

politics is so bad.

cullen was amazing to see in person because he was running on a platform that obviously terrified him. if you pressed him to get beyond vague platitudes and defensiveness he'd just get this thousand yard stare. i think the successful harper propaganda campaign about the coalition that got cratered when they were a minority govt broke a lot of liberals minds

incoming dispatch from "Real Life"

getfiscal posted:

yeah. do you have extreme school spirit.... like... wear a t-shirt that says "If you can use a fork, you can go to York" and such

i went to york for a couple of years. we said that about ourselves. it is a dead cold concrete island and i hated my program

yay universities

[account deactivated]
ironically there are some cool humanities programs and profs at york but when i was 17 i thought i needed to Make A Career For Myself so i was taking space science. i didn't relate to anyone i lived with or went to class with, but i did make some cool friends who were doing non-science programs

EmanuelaBrolandi posted:

wut is that

something that was once one but split into two. one of the two is a handful of misogynists, the other is a handful of do-nothing keyboard warriors

my sister did her BSW and MSW at york.

at queen's every time i did a first year course that started in fall the professor would open the class by being like... you are the best of the best... you are the chosen few who come from privilege and are destined to run the country... ('my gods...') ... all it did is make me feel out of place because my parents didn't finish high school.

once a friend of mine was like 'oh this weekend? i'm flying out to kitchener to see harry potter with some friends'. i'm not sure i can get across how insane this sounded to me. in current prices, a regional flight return from kingston to toronto is about $400, which you can get a bus for $60 or less, and the bus ride isn't even that long.

i don't even think it really matters for most things anyway. like how different do they teach IS-LM curves at any other university.
Why all the talk about universities in a thread about real life

Lykourgos posted:

Why all the talk about universities in a thread about real life

go chug some hemlock!

drwhat posted:

also if you all want to come to montreal i guess i would probably show up or something. also i have a couch and an extra bedroom and i feel like i should say you can stay here. it probably wouldn't be awful. you could get horrified by how bougie me, my girlfriend, my neighbourhood and my apartment are. we could make fun of the new york rhizzone posters. also i have a cardboard cutout of tpaine and i attached the speaker from inside one of those kids games where it goes "the cow says moo" etc so it'll be just like posting

I might be moving to Montreal for real this time and need a place to stay while I look at apartments... probably fall/early winter

NoFreeWill posted:

drwhat posted:

I might be moving to Montreal for real this time and need a place to stay while I look at apartments... probably fall/early winter

I'll be gone by then. good luck

im going to Montreal this May can me and my wife stay with you
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
sam kriss blackface

tpaine posted:

are you dying dr. what

of course, why do you think I spend all my last precious moments on this beautiful forum

littlegreenpills posted:

im going to Montreal this May can me and my wife stay with you

I don't know if my girlfriend would be comfortable with being around a 24/7 total power exchange couple but I'll check

my ndp tax receipts haven't come yet which is preventing me from filing taxes and getting a sweet ass return. i think february 27th was the last legal mailing date for them so if i don't get them this week i'm going to add it to the list of reasons to hate reformists, just under the killing of rosa luxemburg.
[account deactivated]