http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/16/vegans-stomach-unpalatable-truth-quinoa

not pictured: the invisible dick of the market

Not long ago, quinoa was just an obscure Peruvian grain you could only buy in wholefood shops. We struggled to pronounce it (it's keen-wa, not qui-no-a), yet it was feted by food lovers as a novel addition to the familiar ranks of couscous and rice. Dieticians clucked over quinoa approvingly because it ticked the low-fat box and fitted in with government healthy eating advice to "base your meals on starchy foods".

Adventurous eaters liked its slightly bitter taste and the little white curls that formed around the grains. Vegans embraced quinoa as a credibly nutritious substitute for meat. Unusual among grains, quinoa has a high protein content (between 14%-18%), and it contains all those pesky, yet essential, amino acids needed for good health that can prove so elusive to vegetarians who prefer not to pop food supplements.

Sales took off. Quinoa was, in marketing speak, the "miracle grain of the Andes", a healthy, right-on, ethical addition to the meat avoider's larder (no dead animals, just a crop that doesn't feel pain). Consequently, the price shot up – it has tripled since 2006 – with more rarified black, red and "royal" types commanding particularly handsome premiums.

But there is an unpalatable truth to face for those of us with a bag of quinoa in the larder. The appetite of countries such as ours for this grain has pushed up prices to such an extent that poorer people in Peru and Bolivia, for whom it was once a nourishing staple food, can no longer afford to eat it. Imported junk food is cheaper. In Lima, quinoa now costs more than chicken. Outside the cities, and fuelled by overseas demand, the pressure is on to turn land that once produced a portfolio of diverse crops into quinoa monoculture.

In fact, the quinoa trade is yet another troubling example of a damaging north-south exchange, with well-intentioned health and ethics-led consumers here unwittingly driving poverty there. It's beginning to look like a cautionary tale of how a focus on exporting premium foods can damage the producer country's food security. Feeding our apparently insatiable 365-day-a-year hunger for this luxury vegetable, Peru has also cornered the world market in asparagus. Result? In the arid Ica region where Peruvian asparagus production is concentrated, this thirsty export vegetable has depleted the water resources on which local people depend. NGOs report that asparagus labourers toil in sub-standard conditions and cannot afford to feed their children while fat cat exporters and foreign supermarkets cream off the profits. That's the pedigree of all those bunches of pricy spears on supermarket shelves.

Soya, a foodstuff beloved of the vegan lobby as an alternative to dairy products, is another problematic import, one that drives environmental destruction . Embarrassingly, for those who portray it as a progressive alternative to planet-destroying meat, soya production is now one of the two main causes of deforestation in South America, along with cattle ranching, where vast expanses of forest and grassland have been felled to make way for huge plantations.

Three years ago, the pioneering Fife Diet, Europe's biggest local food-eating project, sowed an experimental crop of quinoa. It failed, and the experiment has not been repeated. But the attempt at least recognised the need to strengthen our own food security by lessening our reliance on imported foods, and looking first and foremost to what can be grown, or reared, on our doorstep.

In this respect, omnivores have it easy. Britain excels in producing meat and dairy foods for them to enjoy. However, a rummage through the shopping baskets of vegetarians and vegans swiftly clocks up the food miles, a consequence of their higher dependency on products imported from faraway places. From tofu and tamari to carob and chickpeas, the axis of the vegetarian shopping list is heavily skewed to global.

There are promising initiatives: one enterprising Norfolk company, for instance, has just started marketing UK-grown fava beans (the sort used to make falafel) as a protein-rich alternative to meat. But in the case of quinoa, there's a ghastly irony when the Andean peasant's staple grain becomes too expensive at home because it has acquired hero product status among affluent foreigners preoccupied with personal health, animal welfare and reducing their carbon "foodprint". Viewed through a lens of food security, our current enthusiasm for quinoa looks increasingly misplaced.

Something to think about the next time you pass by the McDonald's on your way to Whole Foods. How many more Bolivians need to suffer so you can avoid eating 99-cent loaded beefy nacho grillers like GOD intended?

this. This. THIS!!
*raises peter pan collar like frilled-neck lizard*

THIS!!!
the primary cause of deforestation in the rainforest is beef production. boom! pick up your face
hey op, your face called. its at soccer practice and needs you to come PICK IT UP
[account deactivated]
i've never heard of quinoa before. it sounds good.
quinoa is pretty good, but its overpriced, apparently as a result of greedy peruvians
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
HOLY FUCK. i'm going to eat horse meat now. the moral meat.
Then get thee to a knackery you ophelia lookin motherfucer cause after the horse d'oeuvres its Whole Horse stuffed with Horseradishes and slowly steamed. You should cook it at like 175 degrees for 3 days Y.U.M.
It's useless to speak of truth, as if we are somehow above history or outside the class struggle. To value truth over untruth is nothing more than a bias of bourgeois republicanism. Far more important is to speak of discourse and its function. I have no interest in whether vegetarianism or veganism is more healthy, or more "ethical", or better for the earth or whatever. All of these presuppose a whole host of terrible morals. I am interested in the function of "vegetarianism" and "veganism", and I can say without a doubt that the function of that discourse is to make obnoxious bourgeois idiots feel smug. EaT MeAt!
Workers and animals of the world unite

Goethestein posted:

quinoa is pretty good, but its overpriced, apparently as a result of greedy peruvians

it looks and tastes like tiny condoms

the vegans are doing peruvians a favor here

[account deactivated]
this si exactly why i only eat freshwater eel
eat my vegan balls
[account deactivated]
laserjew
Bless you!
[account deactivated]
you FUCK!

Goethestein posted:

imo it does not taste that good at all but it is versatile and nutritionally fantastic

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

laserjew

I came here, to post this.

tpaine posted:

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
laserjew

aughhhhhhhhhh

tpaine posted:

EmanuelaBrolandi posted:

laserjew

[account deactivated]
nothing tastes as good as thin feels, sorry foodailures.
dear impper + ken + anyone else who cares to weigh in. who has the best aesthetics out of 1. kamikaze pilots 2. people who self immolate to protest injustice 3. people with life threatening anorexia
1. kamikaze pilots
because they were asked

littlegreenpills posted:

dear impper + ken + anyone else who cares to weigh in. who has the best aesthetics out of 1. kamikaze pilots 2. people who self immolate to protest injustice 3. people with life threatening anorexia

self-immolaters definitely

the kamikaze pilots are aesthetically lame because it's their machines exploding and not them, like "wow a moving metal thing exploding in war, what a statement"

and number 3 definitely not. there can be nothing uglier than some bourgeois attention-seeker (too old to be into one direction, too young to be into street markets) culturally appropriating a Somali aesthetic that has taken decades to build.

self immolation is fairly cool as hell looking and if you could be on fire without being dead that would be way more popular than wearing clothes
and i don't care what anyone says but RATM s/t was one of the best albums of the 90s.
1. kamikaze i imagine the japanese pilot doing a kiai yell just before impact to stun his dumb american foe and maximize the power of that killing strike. really cool looking.
2. anorexia reminds me of aids and the faggot holocaust so that's a plus.
3. self-immolation ... ehh anyone proven these guys didn't just do it by mistake?
i am going to ifap the shit out of u faggots

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

i am going to ifap the shit out of u faggots

this authoritarianism is outta control, we gotta take the power back!

I saw another article on the same topic but I'm still not sure that this is even a bad thing. A lot of land where quinoa is grown is owned communally so the profits might plausibly go to the peasant growers. Even if local quinoa consumption has fallen that doesn't mean Bolivians are less healthy, they could be buying more than enough rice/beans/potatoes to make up the difference. Why would you even report this without evidence that Bolivians are actually worse off, idgi
I saw another article on the same topic but I'm still not sure that this is even a bad thing. A lot of land where quinoa is grown is owned communally so the profits might plausibly go to the peasant growers. Even if local quinoa consumption has fallen that doesn't mean Bolivians are less healthy, they could be buying more than enough rice/beans/potatoes to make up the difference. Why would you even report this without evidence that Bolivians are actually worse off, idgi

littlegreenpills posted:

kamikaze pilots clearly. only kamikaze pilots really act on Duty. they form a twisted union of man and machine in the moment of their deaths, pointing the way to a sunlit future where everything is also on fire. self-immolators are cool but for different reasons, they don't have the Teleological Suspension Of The Ethical. anorexics are gay